HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2004, 07:20 AM
Solihull, UK
Joined Jan 2004
11 Posts
An Easy Star but smaller?

Hi

I am looking for a first plane and like the look of the easy star (pusher prop, EPP) The only thing that concerns me is its size. Does anyone know of a similar but smaller plane. I found the Tipsy but that looks to be made of Styrofoam rather than EPP. Am i right in thinking that this is a lot less robust.

Comments appreciated
bowenm is offline Find More Posts by bowenm
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2004, 08:50 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,467 Posts
The Tipsy is less robust. It uses a more brittle plastic. The Easy Star material is 'rubberized' and bounces better. Do some searches on the Tipsy on the Ezonemag and you will find a few heartache stories.

Don't be put off by the size of the ES. Its size and lightness are a big plus. The model only weighs only 22 ozs all up resulting in a wing loading of well below 9 ozs /sq ft.

If you're a beginner a large, light model is EXACTLY what you need.
ChrisP is offline Find More Posts by ChrisP
Old Feb 17, 2004, 08:51 AM
Wayne, NJ
Joined Apr 2001
473 Posts
Tipsy's a nice plane. If you want something smaller than the Easy Star, that's the one to get. I'm not sure what kind of foam it is, but even if it's styrofoam, you won't have any trouble with it, just can't fix it with CA. One of the things I liked about the Easy Star was its larger size, and its two piece wing.

Mike
Mikerjf is offline Find More Posts by Mikerjf
Old Feb 03, 2008, 08:05 PM
Santa Maria, CA
Joined Oct 2007
332 Posts
I love that when I take me easystar inside me single cab truck, I can take the wings apart and transporation is a breeze...
oldschoolvdub is offline Find More Posts by oldschoolvdub
Old Feb 04, 2008, 02:17 PM
Miami,FL
Joined Oct 2007
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolvdub
I love that when I take me easystar inside me single cab truck, I can take the wings apart and transporation is a breeze...
That one of the reasons I love my easystar too! it fits nice and neat inside a civic

Trust me its a good thing the easystar is a big size, it helps to see it better, especially since it likes to climb in a moderate head wind....

-Juan
juancivic is offline Find More Posts by juancivic
Old Feb 04, 2008, 04:40 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,934 Posts
The Easy Star is not made of EPP, it is made of ELAPOR, much better than EPP(in my opinion).

Having flown numerous easy stars, I say go get one. You will be suprised at just how easy it is to fly, and how stable it is. I've flown it in 13mph winds, with no problems getting up to altitude. The 6 cell battery lasted about 1hour, 15minutes, in the winds.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Feb 04, 2008, 06:47 PM
Santa Maria, CA
Joined Oct 2007
332 Posts
wow thats pretty good flight time. I don't think I've gone that long. But I like to open it up... haha
oldschoolvdub is offline Find More Posts by oldschoolvdub
Old Feb 04, 2008, 06:53 PM
Gravity's a harsh Mistress....
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,805 Posts
Easy enough to put a 2200 Kv brushless in while your glueing it together...then you'll have a nice semi speedster.
southernmd_man is offline Find More Posts by southernmd_man