SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio

RCSuperhero.com Custom Flying Iron Man

There's only one like it in the world and Robert Downey, Jr. owns it. Read on for an RCGroups.com exclusive!

Splash

Introduction

I think it's safe to say that Greg Tanous of RCSuperhero.com is on a roll.

Greg is responsible for what promises to be one of the hottest toys of the upcoming Christmas season. Greg's other creations can be seen flying over New York City in a promo for the motion picture, Chronicle.

When heavy hitters of that caliber start to take notice of your work, you know you've made it.

Such is the case for this amazing, life-sized flying Iron Man commissioned by the office of actor Robert Downey, Jr. It was intended to be a surprise gift for his portrayal of Marvel Comics superhero Iron Man in Marvel's The Avengers and in three other blockbuster motion pictures.

Greg had the pleasure of speaking with Mr. Downey about the work during a thirty-minute phone call and about the fantastic new toy which I had the pleasure of reviewing.

Here's a partial transcript:

• Greg Tanous: I'm actually making a little nineteen-inch Iron Man prototype right now.
  • Robert Downey, Jr.: Oh, yeah!
  • GT: Nineteen inches and powered by toy gear and it weights like one ounce, and, um, in about one month Marvel is going to be at this toy fair and this company called EB Brands is going to hook up with them and show them this.
  • RDJ: I have heard of EB. They make other radio controlled vehicles.
  • GT: Yes sir, yes sir. They are going to show Marvel this wonderful creation.

And so they did.

It's a genuine one-of-a-kind masterpiece which was exhibited in its own booth at the 2013 D23 expo in Anaheim, California. This is the ne pas ultra of Disney conventions and needless to say, it caused quite a stir among Marvel fans.

Basic Information

This was one big project given not only the complexity but its recipient as well. Greg spent months designing and building the model.

He's necessarily mum on some of the specifics, but here are some of the tidbits of info he was able to share:

• The model is life-sized at over 6' (2m) tall
  • It weighs over 4 pounds (2kg)
  • It is capable of a vertical standing takeoff from level ground
  • Test flights were performed on a Futaba computerized radio
  • Full four-channel operation with the hands and feet acting as control surfaces
  • The graphics were custom painted with acrylic paints and are prototypically accurate
  • The model can be stored standing; it can stand indefinitely
  • The high-intensity LED lighting system on the hands, feet, chest and eyes are switchable at the model itself
  • It likes to stay somewhat upright in flight
  • It is capable of hovering for a few seconds and can perform slow high alpha flight
  • In Greg's words, it "feels powerful, but not hard to fly"
  • It was shipped in a custom-built wooden shipping crate measuring 7x4x2' (213x123x61cm)

Photo and Video Gallery

Here's a video of this fantastic work. Chris Wilson, vice president of EB Brands forwarded this to his friends at Marvel, much to their delight:

Robert Downey Jr's RC Plane !! MUST SEE !! + a toy version of it too!! (2 min 21 sec)

This is the national TV ad for the Extreme Hero flying action hero:

EB Brands Flying RCEXTREMEHERO Ironman TV Commercial (0 min 31 sec)

Last edited by DismayingObservation; Sep 30, 2013 at 09:54 AM..

Discussion

Old Oct 01, 2013, 07:58 PM
United States, PA, Meadville
Joined Feb 2011
204 Posts
Basic plans? What fun it would be to do your fav superhero.
davovinch is offline Find More Posts by davovinch
Old Oct 01, 2013, 08:00 PM
United States, PA, Meadville
Joined Feb 2011
204 Posts
plans

What fun would be basic plans so we can do our favorite super hero.
davovinch is offline Find More Posts by davovinch
Last edited by davovinch; Oct 01, 2013 at 08:03 PM. Reason: oops
Old Oct 01, 2013, 08:25 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,952 Posts
You can get basic kits at RCSuperhero.com. This one was a custom build, but there's no reason you couldn't do another flying hero of your choice based on one of Greg's existing kits.

The little 19" figure is a blast to fly and I'm looking to pick up one of the regularly stocked six-footers before long.
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Call it a "review preview."
Old Oct 01, 2013, 09:23 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,761 Posts
totally REDACTED
Not because it was offensive but because it was true
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Last edited by birdofplay; Oct 02, 2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old Oct 02, 2013, 06:30 AM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
581 Posts
I was one of the first customers for RC Superhero, I got the short kit and plans, cost me over $100. It was just carbon rods and wood, the reason I never built it was because in order to print the plans I had to tell the printer guy the password to open the PDF, it was a religious declaration that I do not agree with and will not say. So I'm a Fly Guy person, I don't have someone shoving their religion down my throat and requiring me to send them money.
Dionysus is offline Find More Posts by Dionysus
Old Oct 02, 2013, 07:40 AM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
United States, AL, Tuscaloosa
Joined Nov 2004
1,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
I was one of the first customers for RC Superhero, I got the short kit and plans, cost me over $100. It was just carbon rods and wood, the reason I never built it was because in order to print the plans I had to tell the printer guy the password to open the PDF, it was a religious declaration that I do not agree with and will not say. So I'm a Fly Guy person, I don't have someone shoving their religion down my throat and requiring me to send them money.
HUH???
When did you buy the kit?
harrymc is online now Find More Posts by harrymc
Old Oct 02, 2013, 10:34 AM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
With all due respect, this is about a one-off, custom-built model and not a short kit. Or, for that matter, no other RCSuperhero.com kits.

Perhaps you should ask Greg to send you a new .pdf with a different password.
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Call it a "review preview."
Old Oct 02, 2013, 06:32 PM
Joined Nov 2003
108 Posts
Does not look like you can buy any of the larger kits or plans on the web. There is a note that you can preorder but I have not succeeded to communicate with Greg via email. Also no pricing is listed on web site.
e-flythis! is offline Find More Posts by e-flythis!
Old Oct 03, 2013, 04:40 PM View Post
mikicad67
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Personal Attack. It is temporarily hidden while mikicad67 edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Oct 03, 2013, 04:52 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,819 Posts
Can anyone give us the details on the LEDs used on the large Iron Man?
Bigster is online now Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Oct 04, 2013, 02:16 AM
Shut The Hell Up!!!
Joined Mar 2013
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikicad67 View Post
: Mad:
Devi dire PIRLA!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by harrymc

HUH???
When did you buy the kit?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What does Devi dire PIRLA!!!! mean mikicad67?
Walter57 is offline Find More Posts by Walter57
Old Oct 05, 2013, 09:07 AM
Nick
United States, AL, Hoover
Joined May 2012
175 Posts
I signed up for the per order list for the 78" RC Superhero over a year ago. I recently signed up again but my emails seeking information have gone unanswered. A little communication if even on website would be nice.
Nicksbbq is offline Find More Posts by Nicksbbq
Old Oct 07, 2013, 12:10 PM
RcSuperhero.com
forest grove oregon
Joined Feb 2010
59 Posts
Hi Nicksbbq thank you for signing up on the RcSuperhero.com pre-order list! we are working hard to bring the best possible new flying man product in the best possible way, but to do it right it takes time, and in this case extra time. All the Best! & High Regards Greg T
RCSUPERHERO.COM is offline Find More Posts by RCSUPERHERO.COM
Old Oct 07, 2013, 06:50 PM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
United States, AL, Tuscaloosa
Joined Nov 2004
1,700 Posts
New Review on the 19" Iron Man.

Iron Man Flying RC Extreme Hero Review. First Flying R/C Super Hero (6 min 8 sec)
harrymc is online now Find More Posts by harrymc