HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2004, 05:15 AM
Joined Feb 2004
9 Posts
Question
GWS A-10 with EDF-55

I have the A-10 with the uprated power. The extra weight of the motors has required an extra 35gms in the nose to balance out the c of g. All up weight with a 7 cell 2/3AA pack is 585gms.

Model will not get airborne from a runway- (tried hand launching, broke the nose!!),is it too heavy??. Anyone else got a weight problem with this model?.
tony209 is offline Find More Posts by tony209
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2004, 08:10 AM
Norwich UK
Joined Oct 2003
372 Posts
yeah but u must get the speed up before hand launching, try running really fast a throwing it as hard as you can, it will fly from this if u throw it hard enough
pipsta is offline Find More Posts by pipsta
Old Feb 17, 2004, 09:12 AM
Joined Feb 2004
9 Posts
Thanks, but was realy looking for runway launch. Speed on the ground was faster than I can run!- just wouldn't lift off. If anyone has the A-10 with these motors what weight do you have.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 11:49 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
I hear that some flyers using those Li-Poly packs which by far lighter than Ni-MH packs. The balance can not match original design expected, and tail heavy very much!

Some of them using the other space in front of battery cabinate, and the balance become OK!
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Feb 17, 2004, 11:59 AM
Vampowered!
Crestview Florida
Joined Dec 2003
1,817 Posts
I agree with Mr. Lin

Li/Poly will produce far greater results without the added weight. I flew the A-10 EDF50's with Kokam 2S1P lipoly/no gear/and the airplane was aerobatic. It will take off from the runway and fly well with that setup....especially with the EDF55's.
Vamooska is offline Find More Posts by Vamooska
Old Feb 17, 2004, 12:04 PM
UK
Joined Dec 2003
34 Posts
It sounds like you have enough speed if its going at a fast running speed. Will the nose wheel lift at this speed? If it will not you are nose heavy! The a10 will not fly off with the nose wheel in contact as it needs a higher angle of attack. With the nose weight right and sufficient power being developed the a10 will climb out nicely but you need a good battery pack. If you are carrying extra dead weight try an AA battery pack which will deliver the required high current (8 cells give best power). THis plane is not highly powered but it does fly nicely IF!! you can keep power going to the motors. I had problems with motor cuts due high internal resistance shortly after take off.
Best of luck

Gareth
garethep is offline Find More Posts by garethep
Old Feb 17, 2004, 01:45 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Glad to hear you guys take off A10 sucessfully!

Since twin EDF55-300H will take a lot of current, you'd better carefully to select a battery which can deliver enough current.
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Feb 17, 2004, 03:12 PM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,665 Posts
What did you do to add weight, did you add the clay? Also what battery are you using?
skyhawk is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk
Old Feb 17, 2004, 04:03 PM
Norwich UK
Joined Oct 2003
372 Posts
does yours have the edf 55 150's or the 300H as mr Lin said.

I found the 150's to be a little underpowered for my liking so i put in two graupner 300's and it went ok until i had a glitch!!

My A10 is no more
Old Feb 18, 2004, 05:10 AM
Joined Feb 2004
9 Posts
Thanks for the info. OK here's the full gen.

Motors are EDF-55 with 6 blade fans. The box says EDF55-150G but the motors are much larger that the tiny motors in the EDF-50 150 models, so I assumed they were the 300's.

The model was bought as a package from the UK distibutors and the battery was as supplied- 8.4v but not much capacity at 400mah- was always going to change it for a bigger battery anyway.

CofG is at 55mm. With bigger batteries in mind, I wanted to be able to change the extra added balance weight, so I made a plastic tube gun in the nose wich I can insert weight into, this also means that the weight is as far forward as possible, so less needed.

I also airbrushed the model with Tamiya paints, this added about 1oz.

Nose of model lifts up with a little up-elevator and drops down ok with down elevator but will probably run all day sat on its fins!.

I thought about making the lower nose section removable and putting the battery in the forward nose hollow- this will save about 35gms- but it will still be overweight.

What I now need to know is:- what size motors do I have and what is the maximum wing loading for this model.
Thanks in advance,
Tony

P.s. model looks stunning. Thanks to GWS for a low cost A-10
Old Feb 18, 2004, 05:25 AM
UK
Joined Dec 2003
34 Posts
Tony,

When you say the CofG is at 55mm where is this in relation to the bamboo spar? Sorry my a10 is no more so I cant measure it! or even weigh it for you. What colour areyour fan units? If they are black you have the 150 motors grey equals 300. I think that only the 150's arrived in the uk but if you do have the 300's could you let me know where you got them from! Somewere I have a video of a take off and subsequent power failure but it is probably a bit long to post here. let me know how you get on.

Gareth

ps GWS website says that flting weight is 470-520g so you are a little overweight but with the right battery choice you should be ok as long as you dont expect an agile aerobatic model.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 05:53 AM
Joined Feb 2004
9 Posts
Hi Gareth,

The CofG is 55mm from the wing leading edge and about 5mm back from the bamboo stick.

The fan ducts are black. I'm not that up on electric, I guess the 150 & 300 means no. of wire turns on the armature??. Can't figure out why the motors fitted have to be larger if the are the same speed as the smaller ones on the EDF50.

Going to have another try today, when I fix the steering!. Heres a tip for anyone building the A-10, add a plastic tube sleave around the plastic retainer for the nose u/c- this will stop it splitting when you hit a stone!.

regards,
Tony
Old Feb 18, 2004, 06:33 AM
staffordshire.England
Joined Feb 2004
54 Posts
hi tony209
mine flys ok you must get rid of hhat nose weight
the c of g must bee 57 mm back i moved the batts forward
IT DOSE FLY look on my thread there are pics on there
and the set up i have got

good luck A10 driver
A10driver is offline Find More Posts by A10driver
Old Feb 18, 2004, 07:29 AM
UK
Joined Dec 2003
34 Posts
Tony

Mine balanced on the bamboo spar and flew ok so yours does not appear to be too nose heavy. Have you charged and fully discharged your battery a few times? I find that putting a good fast charge followed by a few hours at trickle disconecting immediately bofore flying gives best performance. Just go to full power bring the nose wheel off the deck and balance the aircraft on the main wheels, gently pull back on the elevators and she should fly.

Best of luck
Gareth

PS GWS motor designations are like a foreign language trust me there is a big difference in output between a edf50 150 and a edf55 150
Old Feb 18, 2004, 01:14 PM
Norwich UK
Joined Oct 2003
372 Posts
the edf50 uses little motors the edf55's will use either the 150 or the 300H. Both the 150 and 300h are the same size motor