HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2013, 08:48 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,548 Posts
Well !!! I noticed that this AM that my site is overwhelmed AGAIN !!!

It's SO BAD I cant even get IN enough to figure out what is happening ?

AND it's the weekend so the ISP is not going to be there either :-(

The LAST time this happened was when Otto's Flying Witch
or ManOnBroom Vid went viral.

I got a couple of sales and then NOTHING !
2 million hits on the Vid and I got 3 sales !

If you need anything just E-mail me

bob@balsabuddies.com or bob@hoosiercutoutservice.com
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2013, 10:02 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,719 Posts
Flying with a full moon

Went out last Friday to fly with the full moon after sunset. I first flew my Pumpkin Head to warm up the camera crew but let it get too dark for the Witch flights. Shutter times were too long and blurred most of the pictures. Here are the best. We have some videos that I'll post once I get them in my hands.

Pumpkin Head photos are in the Flyguy thread.
Otto Dieffenbach is online now Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2013, 04:38 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,719 Posts
Video

Happy Halloween !!!

RC Flying Witch with Full Moon Rising by Otto Dieffenbach (0 min 54 sec)

Pumpkin Head Flyguy at Sunset with Full Moon Rising by Otto Dieffenbach (0 min 50 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:36 PM
United States, MI, Farmington Hills
Joined Jul 2012
10 Posts
Witch first fly

RC Flying Witch (3 min 20 sec)
leon28 is offline Find More Posts by leon28
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:56 PM
United States, MI, Farmington Hills
Joined Jul 2012
10 Posts
Hi. Otto if you can give me advise i'll be happy. My first fly was not bad as you can see last video, but difficult to control (turns) SG is 15mm back.
leon28 is offline Find More Posts by leon28
Old Oct 31, 2013, 12:16 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leon28 View Post
Hi. Otto if you can give me advise i'll be happy. My first fly was not bad as you can see last video, but difficult to control (turns) SG is 15mm back.
Congratulations..... that is one wild witch.

Yours almost acts like it has elevons and not elevators. Elevons are useless. I fly mode 2 and have rudder (broom) control on the right stick with the two elevators. There is nothing on the left stick but throttle.

The CG appears to be close. If you have the control system set up as stated, the throws correct and the linkages are tight it must be the CG. Where are you measuring the CG from? 15mm? Do you mean 15 CM? Post 32, step 31 states the CG as 10.5 inches for the Witch from the front of the chest plate back.

One other thing to look at is all your alignments.

I looked at your video a second time. She seems to want to turn left and you were constantly fighting her to the right. This could be CG, part alignments to include thrust or you may need more broom surface area at the tail for stability. Make sure your thrust is 0/0. Make sure all surfaces are 0/0 with each other. If all is good, try flying without the top of the hat. This will greatly improve weathervane stability and you should see a difference in flight. You then will need to add more broom surface to fly with the hat top. My first priority would be to verify CG and alignments because it really looks like one of those two items.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Oct 31, 2013 at 12:31 AM.