SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Feb 17, 2004, 12:17 AM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,509 Posts
Multiplex EasyStar thread - Part 2

Following the success of Jurgens thread on the new Multiplex EasyStar, this is the MK2 version!

The original thread left off here;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...92#post1840592

Tim Hooper
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2004, 09:16 AM
SlopeHead
Lisboa, Portugal
Joined Jan 2004
2,882 Posts
Is it my impression or is the Easy Star becoming a "monster" here in RCGroups?
The original thread started in August and for a plane that had limited availability for quite some time after that we are already on the second "main" thread about it.

Anyway, I haven't seen a single bad post about the EasyStar from anyone who has actually flown it. And the only complaint from some people (relatively few) is that the rudder is small...

What do YOU think?
jcosta is offline Find More Posts by jcosta
Old Feb 17, 2004, 09:55 AM
United States, MO, Kingsville
Joined Nov 2001
1,667 Posts
Thats why I ordered one yesterday. I searched and searched and could not find one bad thing that anyone said about it....I hope it lives up to the hype.
cherokee is offline Find More Posts by cherokee
Old Feb 17, 2004, 10:02 AM
Wayne, NJ
Joined Apr 2001
473 Posts
Actually the rudders not too small. If you use the inner hole on the control horn and control the throw with the servo arm you can get it to the point where it's actually too responsive.

Sure am glad they stated another thread

cherokee, no hype, just a great plane.

Mike
Mikerjf is offline Find More Posts by Mikerjf
Old Feb 17, 2004, 10:54 AM
SlopeHead
Lisboa, Portugal
Joined Jan 2004
2,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikerjf
Actually the rudders not too small. If you use the inner hole on the control horn and control the throw with the servo arm you can get it to the point where it's actually too responsive.

Sure am glad they stated another thread

cherokee, no hype, just a great plane.

Mike
Mike: I am not complaining, some people did. I know the rudder is large enough even with standard throws.

Cherokee: You definitely will not regret it! It's not hype, it's simply the happiness of flying a very good plane!
jcosta is offline Find More Posts by jcosta
Old Feb 17, 2004, 12:57 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,790 Posts
What did I start here?

The threads of the Terry and Tipsy are also very long, but the EasyStar is even better suited for a novice than the Tipsy and still doesn't get too boring for others. If I can fly the EasyStar Indoors, the rudder must be big enough.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Feb 17, 2004, 01:37 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,532 Posts
The rudder is fine, just go with max throws. Once you get used to how the ES flys the rudder isn't an issue.

I've flown the plane in some pretty strong winds and have been able to control it just fine.
Zoomzoom is offline Find More Posts by Zoomzoom
Old Feb 17, 2004, 01:40 PM
United States, MO, Kingsville
Joined Nov 2001
1,667 Posts
I was thinking about the Terry/Tipsy...but went with the EasyStar after all the good things that everyone says about the stuff it is made out of. I also like the idea that I can fly it in a little bit of wind. I have a Tiger Moth and love it, fly it up high and cut the power and cost around...that is just so nice. It sounds like this plane was made for that kind of flying.
cherokee is offline Find More Posts by cherokee
Old Feb 17, 2004, 01:45 PM
EasyStar Pilot
Texas, USA
Joined Feb 2004
135 Posts
Me Too...

I have read several pages of Jurgen's original post, and was impressed with what people had to say.

My father-in-law is a plane enthusiast, and was what got me interested in the hobby. I originally went flying with him a couple of times, where he would let me train using the buddy box. Then, we got started using some simulation software. I finally decided on getting a GWS Zero for my first plane...I didn't really know what I was getting into. Anyway, the maiden voyage left little to be desired, and months later, trying to get a drive shaft, we were finally successful. Anyway, it's back together now, however, after the recommendation from my father-in-law, I started reading information on the EasyStar, which is where I found this thread...

I ordered mine yesterday as well as another poster did. Here's the equipment list.

EasyStar ARF (of course)
Hitec HS-81 servos (2)
Jeti JES-020 ESC
Hecell 1100 NiMH 8.4V 7-Cell Folded Pack HE-1100-BL07P
Deans Ultra Plugs for battery and motor connections

I'm using an old radio that was given to me that has a 6 channel Mini Rx and a 4 channel Tx. Any ideas on if this will be a good combination? Which batteries are better, KAN or the Hecell? I noticed both were about the same price, however, the KAN's seemed to be rated slightly lower in mAH.

Any pointers for building/flying for the first time?
geogecko is offline Find More Posts by geogecko
Old Feb 17, 2004, 02:37 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,532 Posts
Your equipment list looks fine. Just range check your TX and RX.

1) I have used velcro on the canopy, because the clips wore out pretty quickly.

2) Put the elevator and rudder wires on the inner most holes on the control horns. You want to have max throws for the rudder.

3) Put packing tape on the on the bottom of the fuse and around the nose.

4) Consider putting packing tape where the wing contacts the ground at rest. This is the area where the wing tips curve up and tends to get worn/scuffed during landings.

5) Don't glue in the antenna tube as the instructiosn say. If you have to replace the reciever it's tough to remove. Just hold it in with the packing tape you run the entire length of the fuse.

6) Might want to consider using connectors for the wiring at the motor and not gluing it in place. This will make it easier if you want to remove it or play around with other motor seups.

7) Launching the plane needs very little up elevator. It hand launchs very easily. Seems to like a little nose down when trimmed out, more so than most trainers in my opinion.

8) The plane builds very quickly.

9) It soars and thermals surprisingly well.

10) Have fun
Zoomzoom is offline Find More Posts by Zoomzoom
Last edited by Zoomzoom; Feb 17, 2004 at 02:39 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 02:57 PM
EasyStar Pilot
Texas, USA
Joined Feb 2004
135 Posts
Everything sounds good, except a little explaining on 6.

So the instructions tell you to glue the motor into the plane? What is a better way to attach it, so as to make it easier if you want to remove it some day?

I was planning on using connectors on the motor side, so that will not be a problem.

Is there any place to download the instructions to building the EasyStar? It will be a few days before mine gets here, and just thought I might read them over.

Thanks.
geogecko is offline Find More Posts by geogecko
Old Feb 17, 2004, 02:58 PM
the journey is the reward
Canada
Joined Apr 2002
1,549 Posts
Hey ZoomZoom

Thanks for the tips, just putting one of these together, as is a buddy of mine.

Very impressed with the quality of this plane.

Looks like great value for the bucks!

HH
Hammer Head is offline Find More Posts by Hammer Head
Old Feb 17, 2004, 11:32 PM
Wayne, NJ
Joined Apr 2001
473 Posts
If you glue a speed 400 plywood motor plate to the face of the motor flange and cut out a hatch in the motor cowling that tapes back on, the motor can be bolted in and removed. Sand the wire trough in the fuse so the wire slides easily so you can move it to solder and make sure you don't CA the wire in. Set up the one I did for my club like this, we plan on going through a few motors with this thing.

Mike
Mikerjf is offline Find More Posts by Mikerjf
Old Feb 18, 2004, 12:45 AM
Woodinville, WA USA
Joined Jul 2001
391 Posts
Do I want an EasyStar if I already have a Push-E-Cat?
echaban is offline Find More Posts by echaban
Old Feb 18, 2004, 01:03 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
My youngest child, Barbara, turns 10 tomorrow. Her EasyStar arrived today. Look for her adventures with it to show up as a review on the Ezone sometime in the future.....

She does have some affinity for airplanes, BTW. A semi-famous sequence of pictures of her taken in 2001 is here: http://www.shredair.com/album/washougal3.html

We're about to open the box and make sure all is well.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Closed Thread