Old Oct 18, 2013, 04:48 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
http://youtu.be/G52N1MDOrPA

http://youtu.be/TZc5tRcMEqE

http://youtu.be/QsTc7v63OJc

My camera has been having some lens issues. I have a gopro on the way.
You should have spent that money on the pivothead glasses I told you about a long time ago. One of the best purchases I ever made.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2013, 09:27 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerritt View Post
You should have spent that money on the pivothead glasses I told you about a long time ago. One of the best purchases I ever made.
Yeah, i checked them out actually. But they cost the same amount that i paid for my Gopro hero 3 black and don't have any of the features that the gopro has. Including being able to mount to a heli or quad and output video for FPV systems should i decide to ever do that. Even if you could do that, they probably have a narrower field of view. Besides that, i can access my gopro with my smartphone via wifi and frame my shots or view already recorded media from the phone all wireless.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Oct 21, 2013, 03:41 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,584 Posts
Gaui X2 - Flight 42 - New Gopro Camera (3 min 44 sec)
Old Oct 21, 2013, 05:06 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,195 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, i checked them out actually. But they cost the same amount that i paid for my Gopro hero 3 black and don't have any of the features that the gopro has. Including being able to mount to a heli or quad and output video for FPV systems should i decide to ever do that. Even if you could do that, they probably have a narrower field of view. Besides that, i can access my gopro with my smartphone via wifi and frame my shots or view already recorded media from the phone all wireless.
besides the fov and mounting.....the pivothead can do all the above.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 05:11 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,195 Posts
Quote:
the x2 doesn't really seem to be phased by the wind all that much. I am always amazed at how well it flies when i see it in videos.

I have only a few more things before I can get that super micro build going. I hope it turns out as well as I'm hoping. Little thing cost me as much as my 500.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 02:19 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,584 Posts
Quote:
the x2 doesn't really seem to be phased by the wind all that much. I am always amazed at how well it flies when i see it in videos.

I have only a few more things before I can get that super micro build going. I hope it turns out as well as I'm hoping. Little thing cost me as much as my 500.
Yeah, i know that feeling.

I'm just glad i got a X2 so that i have a little heli that can perform, even in wind.
Old Nov 06, 2013, 08:24 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,584 Posts
Gaui X2 - Great 3D performance and super fast! (3 min 32 sec)

Gaui X2 - Flight 56 (3 min 59 sec)

Gaui X2 - Flight 57 (3 min 43 sec)

Gaui X2 - Flight 58 (3 min 35 sec)

Gaui X2 - Flight 59 (3 min 38 sec)
Old Nov 06, 2013, 08:40 AM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,759 Posts
[QUOTE=IntegrityHndywrk;26565509]
Gaui X2 - Great 3D performance and super fast! (3 min 32 sec)
/QUOTE]

Looks like your having fun. Its fast alright. I'm thinking its fast just like 250pro dfc
barnstorm100 is online now Find More Posts by barnstorm100
Old Nov 21, 2013, 05:21 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,584 Posts
The new Gaui X2 Formula parts and kits are available at Anythingheli.com and Empirerc.com. I think Anything heli will be receiving their stock on the 26th. But Empire currently has the kits and parts in stock.

It just figures this stuff would become available in the USA this week. Because I ordered a set of boom supports from Fast Lad last weekend What a waste of money in currency exchange and shipping. Oh well. I'll probably have them before Anythingheli gets their stock. I only order from Empire these days if AnythingHeli, Clubheli or helidirect don't have the parts in stock, due to past experience and the fact that they don't supply tracking numbers. But i would have rather ordered from Empire than over seas. They always do right by me in the end if there is a problem. I even checked their site before ordering from overseas. So these Formula parts and kits must have just been added in the last few days.

(P.S. I don't think Anything heli is going to stock the Formula X2 kits, probably just the parts for now, could be wrong. But empire has the kits)
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Nov 21, 2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 09:26 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,195 Posts
Integrity there is a shop not too far from me called ExperienceRC.com you should check them out. Awesome shop for everything heli. Very reliable too.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 09:39 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,584 Posts
Quote:
Integrity there is a shop not too far from me called ExperienceRC.com you should check them out. Awesome shop for everything heli. Very reliable too.
I actually just made my first order from them not too long ago. They carry RotorTech blades and i needed some 105mm tails for my X7. They sent them fast and everything worked out fine. But it seems like they are limited on the Gaui stock they carry. However it is on my list of places to check when i need certain things. Good site.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 08:43 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,753 Posts
I got my first Gaui X2 yesterday. Has stock motor with MSH Brain. What a PITA to set up! I'm used to the AR7200BX.. .

I *THINK* I got it set up correctly. THis morning took it to a snow covered field and got it into a hover - 5 seconds later it was shaking like a wet dog. I hit TH and plopped it down and noticed a blade grip ball link had busted Not sure if I have a spare.

ANyways, does anyone have one of these with the MSH brain and DX8 and they can share some setup tips? Any help is appreciated!
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:29 AM
United States, WA, Twisp
Joined Sep 2013
368 Posts
Been looking at this particular bird real hard lately, I'm getting more than a little fed up with the (lack of) quality of the HK250GT kit I've been building. From what I've read, these are top quality kits. But I'm curious about a couple of things.

First, what's the difference between the basic X2 kit and the Formula kit? What does that extra $10 buy?

And how does this compare against an Align 250 DFC? Price wise they're almost the same. With the motor mounted behind the main shaft, it looks like there's lots of room for wiring, etc. I know the main blades are quite a bit longer, what other major differences/improvements over Align does it have?

Watching vids of people flying the different birds is entertaining, but I'm enough of a newb that I can't see any little flaws in flight characteristics that might be visible to someone with a lot more experience. In fact, one of the coolest vids I've seen to date was of one of the pro pilots doing slow motion, low HS 3D with a Goblin 700. Very slow and controlled, you could actually see the bird doing its thing, instead of just the blur of where it was . Very impressive performance, far more than the frenetic, throw it around the sky of the usual 3D vids. Thanks for any info.

Dave
daved20319 is offline Find More Posts by daved20319
Old Dec 19, 2013, 09:11 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daved20319 View Post
Been looking at this particular bird real hard lately, I'm getting more than a little fed up with the (lack of) quality of the HK250GT kit I've been building. From what I've read, these are top quality kits. But I'm curious about a couple of things.

First, what's the difference between the basic X2 kit and the Formula kit? What does that extra $10 buy?

And how does this compare against an Align 250 DFC? Price wise they're almost the same. With the motor mounted behind the main shaft, it looks like there's lots of room for wiring, etc. I know the main blades are quite a bit longer, what other major differences/improvements over Align does it have?

Watching vids of people flying the different birds is entertaining, but I'm enough of a newb that I can't see any little flaws in flight characteristics that might be visible to someone with a lot more experience. In fact, one of the coolest vids I've seen to date was of one of the pro pilots doing slow motion, low HS 3D with a Goblin 700. Very slow and controlled, you could actually see the bird doing its thing, instead of just the blur of where it was . Very impressive performance, far more than the frenetic, throw it around the sky of the usual 3D vids. Thanks for any info.

Dave
The HK and Gaui are quite a bit different in how they are built. Basically you can't compare the two. Now flying wise, because of the blade length and the powerful motor, you will feel like the X2 is more, sim like, it has gobs of power for you to pull of your maneuvers and it just flies bigger than it is. It is also a relatively quiet bird imho.

Oh yeah, the low headspeed flying, i love watching that type of flying also. Believe it or not, even though it looks really relaxed, it's actually more difficult to pull off. You need good collective skills to keep from getting in trouble with that type of flying. Just like fast forward flight comes easier than super slow controlled flying.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 05:46 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daved20319 View Post

Dave
I have to agree with Pmerritt on this one. The X2 can't really be compared to a HK model. I honestly don't feel it can be compared to a Trex 250 either. Mostly because there is something like 110+mm difference in the main rotor diameter. I have only flown a 250 once or twice. What i remember of it, it didn't feel as lofty, stable or powerful. The power was likely a very minimal difference as far as headspeed and bogging goes. But the X2 seems to have a more powerful pitch response. Also because of the larger rotor and the weight to rotor ratio, the X2 Auto rotates much better than a 250. Hell, it auto rotates better than my 450s. So i would get a X2 over a 250 all day.

However, i want to say this. These size helicopters are probably the worst size to own for noobies. Not being biased against any one brand. I am talking about any 200-300 class model. They are VERY high maintenance, crash very poorly, and are expensive as a 450 to repair.. Actually my X2 costs quite a lot more than my 450 to crash. Just the blades alone is a big difference. $30 for a set of blades for the X2. Only $8 for my 450. I pretty much highly recommend people moving up from something like a 130X to just skip the 250 and 300 class helis and go right for a decent 450 or bigger if it's going to be a daily flier. Basically if you think you will put 20 flights a week on the thing. It's going to take a lot of maintenance for a 250 or X2, etc. The servos and electronics will be nearly exactly the same stuff that a 450 equips. So you aren't paying a lot more for a 450 and get a bigger heli for the cost. The heli will be more stable, easier to fly and power isn't ever an issue. The maintenance is negligible compared to a 250 or X2/300 class. I think some others might agree with me.

At the end of the day, i FREAKING LOVE my X2. But it can be a love-hate relationship. It's one of my favorites actually out of my 9 or so helicopters. Just because it's the small one in my fleet that is superiorly capable of 3D. So if you think you can deal with the few downfalls of the heli and the maintenance required. I highly recommend the X2. It's a great little heli. Just keep in mind that it's far from perfect and most of it's known issues are a direct result of it's size and construction material tolerances, etc. Of course my experience with the heli is basically stressing the thing pretty well. If you your only doing FFF and hovering it around at lower head speeds. It probably doesn't need quite as much maintenance and checkups to prevent failure.

The only difference between the Formula and regular kit is the canopy, canopy mounting posts and the tail boom CF support rods now have CNC tips on them. The old plastic ones were very brittle and In flight it could break, not from crashing and not from crash fatigue. Also, the old kits will likely not be around forever. The Formula kits are the new kits that will be on shelves going forward, not the older kits. If you do happen to get the regular kit. Not a big deal. Just make sure you pick yourself up a set of these after market replacement boom supports: http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet...NC-Belt/Detail The old canopy is perfectly fine, in fact its what i am using because Fusuno doesn't make Formula canopies for it yet.