HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Helion Criterion

1:10 scale 2WD electric ready-to-run buggy

Splash

More SPEED. More FUN!

The Criterion 2wd Buggy offers performance, durability and value in an incredibly user-friendly package. Constructed from lightweight yet strong material, the fully independent suspension and oil-filled shocks soak up even the worst terrain. A 2.4GHz 3-channel radio system eliminates frequency conflicts, while the 12-turn motor churns out blistering acceleration and incredible top speeds in excess of 30mph. A 3000mAh 7-cCell NiMH rechargeable battery pack provides excellent runtime while an incredibly efficient LiPo compatible waterproof Metric 30A electronic speed controller (ESC) with reverse puts you in full control. Full ball bearings throughout the vehicle reduce friction and increase runtime. A robust waterproof servo gives crisp steering response while the high grip; long wear tires keep you hooked up over a multitude of surfaces. Included is a 1Amp A/C wall charger that improves your driving-to-waiting ratio. Visit www.HelionRC.com often so you’ll never be out of touch with the latest innovations headed your way from Helion!

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS
LiPo Compatibility2S
Motor 12T 540 Brushed
Battery Tamiya(R) Connector, Hump Configuration
Gear Pitch48P (P:20, S:78)
Wheels 12mm Hex (ASC and KYO Compatible)
Length 386.40mm (15.21in)
Height 153.15mm (6.03in)
Width249mm (9.80in)
Wheelbase 283mm (11.14in)
Weight (approx)1560g (3.44lb)
Internal Gear Ratio2.62:1
Item no.HLNA0301
Price $189.99

WHAT'S IN THE BOX

• 1x 3000 mAh Battery
  • 1x Criterion 1:10 Scale 2wd Electric Off-Road Buggy
  • 1x HRS-3.1 2.4GHz Radio System
  • 1x Metric 12T High-Speed Motor
  • 1x Metric 30A ESC (2S LiPo)

NEEDED TO COMPLETE

• 4x AA-size batteries for transmitter

Helion Criterion 2wd Buggy. (1 min 48 sec)

Visit the site for more info on products from HELION!

You can now buy Helion products at www.helionrc.com as well as at HobbyTown USA

Last edited by Paul Onorato; Sep 24, 2013 at 12:44 PM..

Discussion

Old Sep 24, 2013, 01:50 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,882 Posts
Could it be some postings were removed from this thread? I remember a speed comparison vid, and me having posted in this thread. None to be found again?

I wonder what the lifespan of the 12T motor wlll be. With the Traxxas vehicles it's often short lived, and this car pushes the motor even further.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2013, 02:25 PM
United States, WA, St John
Joined Jun 2012
558 Posts
My post was removed as well. It was questioning the wisdom of bringing this vehicle to market but I didn't think it was controversial.
Jimmy the Heater is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy the Heater
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2013, 04:06 PM
United States, CT, Brookfield
Joined Jun 2013
2,110 Posts
That was a mistake with losing those posts. Not intentional, we had to update the original post that Helion vehicles are now available through the www.HelionRC.com website. SORRY ABOUT THAT!!!
Paul Onorato is offline Find More Posts by Paul Onorato
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A little about me.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 04:07 PM
Joined Jun 2013
2,110 Posts
Here is the speed comparison video.

Criterion Speed Test Video (1 min 54 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2013, 05:03 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,882 Posts
Good to see that it wasn't my mind playing tricks on me. I wonder if they also compared run time on the stock battery for each car. And I wonder about motor temps after a run. If the motor used has higher efficiency, it could even run cooler than the 12T on the Bandit. But if it's just an agressively advanced timing stock can motor, it will run hot fast, and have short life expectancy,
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2013, 08:20 PM
Joined Jun 2012
558 Posts
Well I will try to recreate my thoughts on this buggy.

I think this is an odd move for Helion. It is clearly aimed at bashers as evidenced by the non adjustable camber and steering links. However for their first entry into a 2wd chassis should have been a short course truck. They are waning in popularity,but it is still the biggest class going at most tracks.

I also can't buy being able to get 33mph out of a brushed buggy and still have any kind of useful gearing. A bandit with it's speed gear can get close to that at 30mph but it is pointless to drive it off road like that. The motor will overheat in very short order and die a quick death.
So until I see what gearing they are using to get that, I would call it a pointless test.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not all negative. I really do wish them well on this kit and I want to be proved wrong. I just don't think I am at first glance.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2013, 08:54 PM
Joined Sep 2008
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
Well I will try to recreate my thoughts on this buggy.

I think this is an odd move for Helion. It is clearly aimed at bashers as evidenced by the non adjustable camber and steering links. However for their first entry into a 2wd chassis should have been a short course truck. They are waning in popularity,but it is still the biggest class going at most tracks.

I also can't buy being able to get 33mph out of a brushed buggy and still have any kind of useful gearing. A bandit with it's speed gear can get close to that at 30mph but it is pointless to drive it off road like that. The motor will overheat in very short order and die a quick death.
So until I see what gearing they are using to get that, I would call it a pointless test.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not all negative. I really do wish them well on this kit and I want to be proved wrong. I just don't think I am at first glance.
Funny you say they should have come out with a SC version because they have .

As far as having any gearing left and over heating here is a video of the buggy running offroad and motor came of the track with no over heating issues. The video only is filmed few minutes of nearly 10 minutes that it was running.

Helion Criterion at the HobbyTown HobbyPlex (2 min 26 sec)
huskerfreak is offline Find More Posts by huskerfreak
Old Nov 19, 2013, 09:36 PM
Joined Jun 2012
558 Posts
I did see the Short Course release Good for them. About a month and a half after the buggy. Not bad.

That video looks good once it gets up to speed. It sure looks overgeared coming out of the slow rhythm section in the center and if it spins out on a turn and has to start from a dead stop. The skeptic in me would still like to see them pull off the track and put a temp gun on the motor too.

This is not to put the Criterion down in any other way, just so much emphasis is being put on its drastically higher top speed and I feel like I need to be a voice of reason on that point.

Like I said before, I want to be proven wrong on this, and I want them to do well with this buggy. If they can give a 33mph top speed, not burn out the motor in short order, and give good acceleration then more power to them
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2014, 03:30 PM
Its Just a Game Of Drones
Joined Sep 2010
46 Posts
question on battery type

when using the stock setup,and want to run a lipo..
(no brushless motor or esc) what lipo do we replace the stock with?

how many cells and up to what amperage?
LUCKY_LOTUS is offline Find More Posts by LUCKY_LOTUS
Old Apr 21, 2014, 03:51 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCKY_LOTUS View Post
when using the stock setup,and want to run a lipo..
(no brushless motor or esc) what lipo do we replace the stock with?

how many cells and up to what amperage?

From the first posting in this thread:

"LiPo Compatibility 2S"

So a 2S lipo, and around 5000 mAh is probably a good option. You may even get good runtimes with a smaller capacity lipo, like 4000 mAh, as you are still running stock motor and ESC, so it won't be that power hungry, and the lower battery weight will boost acceleration.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2014, 06:50 PM
Joined Sep 2010
46 Posts
thnx a lot

i was thinking about a 5000 mAh 2 cell like zippy or turnigy or somethin similar..

by the way what does the on off switch by the esc for?

here is my 1st vid of this buggy
in 2 parts
Helion Criterion 1/10 2wd Buggy 1st Run (4 min 0 sec)

Helion Criterion 1/10 2wd Buggy 1st Run Part 2 (2 min 27 sec)
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:47 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,882 Posts
Runs pretty zippy. I think a Turnigy 5000 mAh will give you plenty of runtime. Just watch the motor temps, which could get critically high if you run much longer than with the stock battery.

And the on/off switch on the ESC, well it switches the ESC on or off, basically. Or did you mean something different?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2014, 04:10 AM
Joined Sep 2010
46 Posts
ye thats what i asked about .. thnx man!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 08:37 AM
Joined Jun 2013
2,110 Posts
Looks like you are having a lot of fun with your Criterion.

Solo is leading you in the correct direction with his help!
RCG Plus Member