HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2001, 10:58 AM
Louisville,KY
Joined Jan 2001
135 Posts
High gloss with Latex paint?

Is it possible to get a high gloss finish with latex paint. I am getting ready to paint my Simple 400 which I covered with .5 oz Fiberglass cloth. Any other painting suggestions for light, high gloss finish?
Thanks
Ken
KAMarks is offline Find More Posts by KAMarks
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2001, 11:59 AM
Lipoly Killer
Gulfport/Biloxi Biloxi Reg, Mississippi, United States
Joined Dec 2000
1,515 Posts
High gloss

Ken, I,too would like to hear from folks that have accomplished a high gloss on latex paint. Would something like water based polyurethelane(sp?) work?
Frank
Frank Hurd is offline Find More Posts by Frank Hurd
Old Dec 09, 2001, 01:24 PM
Spittin' Sparx forever...
West Vancouver, BC
Joined Mar 2000
482 Posts
Hey Guys,

Due to the type of binder materials used in latex paint, you'll never get a true "High Gloss" finish with just latex, but a coat of foam compatible high gloss urethane, or water based polyurethane would give you marvellous results. Just be sure to not let the finish buld up to much on you as you'll suffer a weight penalty. Also once you've finished applying the latex, make sure you let it cure really well for a day or so prior to spraying a coat of high gloss poly over it. The best way to get a really nice finish is to lightly scuff the latex with about 1000 grit wet or dry sandpaper (used dry!) and then wipe it down carefully to insure that you have no debris on the surface. Good Luck...

DougB
DougB is offline Find More Posts by DougB
Old Dec 09, 2001, 11:10 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
Better yet, is to use the Testor's Model Master spray enamel. You'll get a high gloss finish with little paint applied.

I assume you are asking about latex because you are worried about paint attacking the foam. Since you already glassed the wing it should be sealed. But I have used the Model Master enamels on EPS foam before with no problem. Just spray it on in fine mist coats until it just covers. If you are really unsure you can test the paint on a scrap piece of foam first.
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Dec 10, 2001, 08:59 AM
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
I have had good luck with Acrylics that I buy at the local Craft store. I painted my Twin Jet in white with Black "Cowmooflage" and the finish is quite glossy. And best of all it cleans up easily with warm water. I hate cleaning my airbrush but since I started useing the arcylics I have been useing it more and more.

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline Find More Posts by LJH
Old Dec 10, 2001, 05:48 PM
Richmond,Va. USA
Joined Mar 2000
135 Posts
Try to find CREATEX airbrush colors at the craft store.
LARGE range of colors,transparent & pearlized look good too.

E Granby, Ct. 06026 is the only thing on the bottle.

Can be brushed on as well but it is thin.

Have A Ball

Hans
VaVol is offline Find More Posts by VaVol
Old Dec 11, 2001, 07:07 AM
crashnburn
n/a Posts
Can't you just use a coat of car wax?

Don