HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2013, 01:42 PM
FICKLE FLYER
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
Joined Dec 2002
1,280 Posts
Yippee!
Mosquitobite Tri Pacer kit is back with Upgrades

Mosquitobite Planes is re-releasing the TriPacer kit (not an arf) with upgrades and changes for electric. http://www.mosquitobiteplanes.com/tripacer.html
Supposed to be available this next week.
tlh101 is online now Find More Posts by tlh101
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2013, 07:01 PM
Stone Mountain, GA
Joined May 2007
409 Posts
I received this email today.

"Our store will be open this Friday to take orders."
dgfinch is offline Find More Posts by dgfinch
Old Sep 24, 2013, 07:06 PM
FICKLE FLYER
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
Joined Dec 2002
1,280 Posts
Hearing rumors of a $350 price tag.
tlh101 is online now Find More Posts by tlh101
Old Sep 26, 2013, 10:25 PM
Joined Aug 2012
32 Posts
Why is the main gear on backward??
G limit is offline Find More Posts by G limit
Old Sep 26, 2013, 10:44 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G limit View Post
Why is the main gear on backward??
I could be wrong, but I am guessing it is because the real one "has the gear on backwards".....

When they converted the Pacer into the Tri Pacer, reversing the gear was an easy way to help move the mains back for the trike conversion.

To be perfectly fair, I have seen versions with gear that looks less reversed as well, but the picture proves that the model is correct for C-FKTF
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Sep 26, 2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2013, 11:27 AM
Been there, Crashed that.
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Joined Nov 2006
170 Posts
I received my kit yesterday. Wood and all the parts looks great. Build manual is pretty detailed, but also looks like a couple areas need to pay attention in, as not all build portions have accompanying photos. Lots of soldered linkages, main gear is wire which will need bending and soldering. In these areas I'll explore alternatives. Nothing in manual relating to electric, it focuses on installing an OS 61(? or 91) and building for nitro, so may need some adjustments at engine block etc.. to get it setup for electric. Didn't see anything relating to throws, CG and so forth, no biggie, shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Likely start on it sometime next month, will post updates. Yes, the price is 340.00 and about 40.00 to ship. Bit more to ship since out of Canada. For a 72" kit, that's not to terrible, we'll see when start putting it together.
hmarshall is offline Find More Posts by hmarshall
Last edited by hmarshall; Oct 08, 2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 01:02 PM
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Joined Nov 2006
170 Posts
Just some quick observations... the good news, its a Tri Pacer. Not having seen the previous versions, I can't make comparisons. What I can say though is that pretty much all but the sheeting and a couple sticks are ply. Ribs, everything. The wood looks good and is cut well, but who knows what the weight will be. The plans are one giant roll which I find a bit annoying. The acetate for the windows seems much thicker than the thin plastic molded cowl. For electric, seems like would have to build a hatch or take wing off each time needed to change battery, no side door. Still no mention of what mods were done to accommodate electric, again not having seen other versions can't say whats changed, but personally I'm not sure there's much significantly changed.

Wondering if it'll take a dle20 and robart 624 strut up front...
Old Jan 24, 2014, 05:35 PM
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Joined Nov 2006
170 Posts
Well I got it this far, got bored and a bit frustrated with it and put it away for another day. FYI, a Robart 624 will NOT fit, unless you are willing to do some major modification to the front end. Or the strut.

Working on a 1/5 scale PT-19A, it'll be a bit before I get back to it. Anyway, just wanted to toss out a quick post for anyone that was watching this thread.
Last edited by hmarshall; Jan 24, 2014 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Too long winded
Old Apr 03, 2014, 07:25 PM
Joined Jul 2011
50 Posts
I received my Mosquitobite Tri-pacer kit a few days ago. Impressive parts count! And the laser-cut plywood parts look good.

This will be not only my first scale model, but also my first mostly plywood model kit (I have some all ply ARF's). New adventure for me, and I am looking forward to the build.

I've decided to go electric with this airplane - Rimfire 80 brushless motor, Castle Talon 90 ESC and 6S 5000 mAh LiPo.

So here's my dilemma: I do not want to have to remove the wing for battery changes, so I'm contemplating a battery hatch on the bottom of the fuselage, just behind the firewall. At this point, I think I can make it work. I want to be able to remove the hatch easily while keeping the airplane sitting on its gear, but also make the hatch strong enough to retain the battery. Thus, I'm considering using 4 to 6 aircraft Dzus fasteners. They are cheap and available in very small sizes.

I'll try to remember to post some progress photos. At the moment, I've only framed up the main cabin.
KillerChaos is offline Find More Posts by KillerChaos
Old Apr 04, 2014, 10:48 AM
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Joined Nov 2006
170 Posts
Excellent, I'll be watching. It frames up pretty quick, and its a bit different than conventional build. I gave some thought to the hatch as well, thought about building a tray and cutting a door for access, but wasn't sure if it would compromise the integrity of the fuse. Good luck with it, hope to see you get her airborne!
HM
Old Apr 04, 2014, 02:52 PM
Joined Jul 2011
50 Posts
I forgot to mention that I own a 1952 Piper Tri-pacer. My dad bought it in 1964 and sold it to me in 1976. So, it's been in the family for 50 years. Great little airplane.
Old Apr 05, 2014, 07:07 PM
Joined Jul 2011
50 Posts
Now that I have more of the main cabin area framed up, I've decided to cry "Uncle" regarding any modifications for an external battery hatch. I'll just have to pull the wing for each battery swap.

Still, I'm nervous about having a "hot" aircraft while buttoning up the wing with the battery connected, so among the many completion parts I ordered today, I included a Shumacher Products Arming kit. Just peace of mind...
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:52 AM
Joined Sep 2014
41 Posts
Wondering if anyone has updates on their builds. This kit is on my short list so I'm curious is anyone has been able to get their bird up in the air since the last posting.
freddy_fo is online now Find More Posts by freddy_fo
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:58 AM
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Joined Nov 2006
170 Posts
Ended up selling mine..
Old Nov 24, 2014, 03:00 PM
Joined Sep 2014
41 Posts
Can I ask why? It looked like you were making good progress.
freddy_fo is online now Find More Posts by freddy_fo