HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Flyzone Hadron Flying Wing Tx-R

The Flyzone Hadron is an all new ready to fly wing. The Hadron stretches typical flying wing envelope that include violent, tight, spinning maneuvers. This made possible by a large fin, rudder and yaw thrust vectoring! The Hadron is a blast to fly!

Splash

Introduction

Wingspan:33.5" 850mm
Wing Area:408 sq in 26.3 sq dm
Wing type:AeroCell foam semi-symmetrical
AUW weight:Advertised 29.6oz 839g Actual 30.6oz 869g RTF
Length:33.5" 850mm
Wing loading:~10.8oz/sq ft
Cube loading:6.42
Transmitter:Futaba 7c 2.4GHz w/AnyLink
Servos:Micro + Mini included
Receiver:Tactic TR624 6 channel 2.4GHz
Battery:ElectriFly 3s 2200 mAh LiPo
Motor:2200kV 35-40 Brushless Outrunner included
ESC:40a ESC included
US distributor:Hobbico
Available: Hadron Tx-R
Tx-R Price:$279.99

Flyzone has added a unique ready to fly (RTF) model to their lineup, the all new Hadron flying wing. This model is available in two completion levels Tx-R or transmitter ready or Rx-R, receiver ready. Both are flyable right out of the box with a few minutes of setup.

With the popularity of ready to fly models it is no doubt the Hadron has the busy hobbyist ready to fly in a hurry. This is a unique, stunning model molded from dense, strong Aerocell (expanded polyolefin) foam. The Aerocell has a impressive, tight bead.

The Hadron has a factory applied thin decal type finish that is durable and attractive. The factory applied markings appear to melt right into the smooth foam surface.

If you are looking for a RTF model that will really turn heads at the field the small Hadron is just the ticket. It is a flying wing but has something out of the ordinary. It features thrust vectoring! The motor mount swivels with the rudder to enable some really impressive aerobatics, namely wicked flat spins!

The Hadron includes a powerful motor for 3s or 4s sure to treat the spot pilot with a significant dose of speed. You should be ready for fun!

Kit Contents

The review package shipped from Hobbico and it arrived in perfect condition. It was exceptionally well packaged, double-boxed and the contents in the box were isolated and protected from shifting during shipment. I might add the box is HUGE! I was a bit shocked but the model is nearly fully assembled.

As expected with Hobbico products, the there is an excellent, plain English, pictorial manual with complete step by step instructions Hadron Manual.

Great step by step pictures and assembly is done in about 30 minutes. Radio setup will take some additional time but it is very quick from box to in the air.

Kit includes:

• Pre-built and assembled model
  • Receiver installed Transmitter ready (Tx-R)
  • Servos are installed and ready to go
  • AeroCell foam with smooth finish
  • Vertical stabilizer ready for screws to attach - no glue needed!
  • Factory hinged surfaces
  • All hardware installed and ready for flight (Pushrods, EZ type connectors and horns)
  • Decal type markings
  • Clear well-written picture assembly guide

Kit requires:

• Transmitter with delta mixing

Included for this review:

Assembly

The Flyzone Hadron is a true transmitter ready Tx-R airplane and it is ready to fly out of the box with no glue and just a screwdriver for setup. You simply add the vertical stabilizer, stick down the hook and loop for the battery and you are ready to go!

Done by the factory:

• Factory applied markings
  • Surfaces hinged by the factory
  • Servos and linkages are all installed
  • 40 Amp ESC installed
  • Brushless outrunner motor installed and connected to the thrust vector assembly
  • Magnet attached cowl for easy access and no exposed screws

The builder needs to:

• Install the battery
  • Installed the vertical stabilizer
  • Setup the radio

Tx-R Completion level

The model comes ready to run and includes a 3s pack and 6"x5" propeller. It also includes the charger and a power cord that attaches to a car power outlet. The battery hook and loop tape is included. The Tx-R Hadron also included a 5x5 propeller for use with 4s packs.

Assembly

The wing comes assembled, one piece with dual servos for the elevons. They are installed with no work for the builder other than verifying they are centered and ready to go. Flyzone even has the servos connected to the Tactic 6 channel receiver. One of my elevons was off center but a the threaded link made that adjustment very quick.

The Hadron also comes with a large magnet secured hatch. The hatch gives access to the entire system area including the battery and receiver. The motor and ESC are under a deck that must be removed for installation of the fin and rudder.

The instructions recommend the use of a rubber band and hook if you run the Hadron on 4s. Yes it is that fast! This gives the hatch extra security. All parts are included for this mod if you choose 4s.

The small servos are factory installed. They have a complete direct linkage setup and EZ-type connectors making setup a snap. Both of my servos were centered but it is wise to check that before setup.

Vertical Stabilizer and Rudder

The vertical stabilizer must be installed by the user. That task is made very simple as the rear turtle deck on the fuselage is removed and the fin is attached from the bottom with two 3mm screws. The fit was perfect and it created a solid connection.

With these steps done there is little assembly left on the Hadron. There are several features of the Hadron I really like. A great deal of attention went into the launch finger molds and plastic skid plate protection of the airplane for the landing.

The Hadron uses replaceable nose cones. The cones are attached with magnets and an extra is even included! Should you have a less than perfect landing you are covered.

The Hadron has a nice CF tube imbedded in the foam along the battery tray. This provides significant structural rigidity and strength. Installation of the hook-and-loop tape will help secure the battery.

Thrust Vectoring

The Hadron includes a 2200 kV powerful, brushless motor. It is factory installed on the specialized mount that enables the thrust vectoring magic. The mount is essentially a pivot controlled by a mini sized servo. With the turtle deck off you can check all the connections.

Once you do a quick check for free movement of the yaw vectoring it is a good idea to determine if there is any flashing left on the turtle deck. A tech notice from Flyzone asks that this step not be neglected.

Power system

The Flyzone Hadron includes all components you need for flight. The 40amp ESC and motor are ready to run.

Amp draws

The included brushless motor can be used with either 3s or 4s 2200 mAh LiPo packs. The stock motor is veryand powerful. It produced the following results:

Motor statistics on 3s
Included Propeller Amps Watts Voltage
6x5 36 417 11.6v

The Hadron can also be powered with 4s packs if you so desire. For the go fast crew that will give you a bit more speed but I found the 3s to be exhilarating. 4s requires a prop change to the included 5x5 propeller to keep the amps under 40. With the prop switch the setup is within the ESC capabilities. Be ready for frequent turns however the Hadron really moves out on 4s.

Battery

The ElectriFly 2200 mAh 3s pack was included for the review.

The ESC and battery both come terminated in authentic Dean's connectors.

Finish

The Hadron is made from the tight bead AeroCell foam. It is very strong stuff and extremely dense. If you need a quick field repair normal CA is the thing to use. Very convenient.

The factory applied decals look wonderful. In fact they appear to be painted onto the foam. They are bonded very well and appear to thicker and strong than those used on other past models. Of note the decals on the fin have text in reverse a small annoyance on otherwise perfect markings.

Pre-Flight

Some ground shots of the Flyzone Hadron. This is a great unique shaped model and it looks fast just sitting on the ground!

CG

The CG was easy to obtain with the included 3s pack in the very front of the tray area. I found the marks for forward and aft CG recommendation were fine. The marks are molded into the foam. With the included 3s pack against the forward limit the CG is in the middle of the recommended range and was just perfect.

Rates and transmitter setup

The Futaba 7c FAAST transmitter was used to control this plane with the AnyLink adapter. Rates were set as recommended in the manual per the chart below:

Control Throws
Low RatesHigh Rates
Elevator
13mm 19mm
Aileron
13mm 19mm
Rudder
19mm 32mm

These are the rates from the manual and I found them to be a good starting point. The elevator servo throws had to be increased for me to reach high rates. The Hadron is very smooth and precise in flight with the recommended settings however. While some wings tend to wallow a bit the Hadron is more like a sports car. My preference was a bit more elevator throw was due so I dialed mine up a bit.

Exponential rates were not recommended so I set those at 30% for the primary flight controls. I found that both the recommend rates are about right for 3s flying. I decreased elevator expo to about 20% to give a bit more control quickly. One of my inverted pull outs was a bit too close! Rates are very much a pilot preference - set yours accordingly.

The flight timer was set to count down from 3:20 giving an audible warning to land before the battery was depleted. The ElectriFly 3s 2200 mAh pack was put to the test with the 36 amp load. The motor is strong and the stock power on 3s is very nice. I recommend first flights with the 3s pack. After that a 4s perks things up a bit. Since I have bag full of 3s 2200's I choose those for power. I had the first pilot who saw it convinced I was lying about running 3s it is pretty quick!

Flying

I strongly encourage a decent launch partner for the first few flights. The Hadron is very easy to launch but those first few flights are just better to be right on the sticks. The grips make it very easy. I applied power after the launch as to not scare my launcher. I had no issues with that and a good toss.

I have many elevon wing type models and each of them has a different personality. The Hadron is no different and I was pleasantly surprised by the in the groove flight experience the Hadron offered. It was a bit like a pattern plane in fact! It feels very light even though it is a good sized model. Orientation in clear sky is not a big issue but be careful on overcast days.

I was pleasantly surprised by how solid and stable this model was to fly. It is not, in any way a beginner ship however.

In flight pics come from me while Tom my flying buddy did an excellent job of flying the model for pics and video.

Takeoff and Landing

I generally like reflex for takeoff of wing type models but I found none was needed with the Hadron. Reflex is a pronounced "up" trim on the elevons. So I did not program any for this ship. Self launching is easily done but I strongly encourage full power. I use the finger molds and a good strong, level toss. I have also used the wing grip method, for those concerned about prop bites.

Landings were a piece of cake with the Hadron. It does not burn off speed quickly though so allow plenty of glide as you will have plenty to slow this model down. I may move the CG back a bit and that will help to slow it even more. the Hadron moves quickly so you will need a large park or better yet a club sized field. It is totally predictable and does not exhibit any bad behavior.

Special Flight Characteristics

The Hadron is capable of any delta wing aerobatics loops, rolls and combinations of those maneuvers. The model does not have any bad habits that I can coax out of this wing. Rolls perfectly axial and the turns are quick and precise. No amount of up elevator caused any strange behavior that can be common on wings. It is essentially unaffected by wind.

The rudder will not really yaw but more of a dutch roll with down pitch. I have the rudder and thrust vector separated. so I can do rudder only, vector only or both. The thrust vectoring also tends to roll the airplane doing that in fact in quite a hurry. It will do some funky stuff so play with that at altitude. For normal flight the vector function should be programed to a switch and disabled.

There is a time when you do want thrust vectoring and that is to enter and maintain the tightest wildest flat spin I have ever seen! Entry is also a piece of cake. Here are the steps:

• Activate the thrust vector switch with rudder
  • Do a normal high speed pass and pull to vertical
  • As speed starts to decrease and with plenty of altitude maintain full throttle
  • Give full left rudder
  • Give full down and full right aileron
  • Hold this it will start the insane spin
  • Back off full down
Recovery is easy just keep full throttle and let off aileron and elevator with a touch of opposite right rudder and thrust vector. Don't apply too much! It is very likely to be inverted so roll out if needed.

Of note, this is a violent maneuver that puts very significant stresses on the model. In fact on my first venture - the battery strap, wrapped around the carbon fuse tube, pulled out! I noticed when taking the battery out and I have since re-glued that with CA and I check that after every flight with flat spins.

If you are using 4s you MUST secure the hatch as recommended in the manual. Trust me the fuse and hatch flexing will cause the hatch to pop off with 4s speed. Once you perform the spin you will easily see the stresses it puts on the model. Do not let me discourage you they spins are spectacular!

Needless to say the flat spins are a total kick in the pants. It looks insane, sounds insane and is insane! It is very impressive and this will add a great fun factor to the Hadron. Give it a try!

I am having a good deal of fun with the Hadron. You will be hard pressed to find a wing that puts a bigger grin on your face especially in the flat spin!

Recommended power system

Power on 3s voltages was very good with the included 6x5 propeller. I was fantastically impressed in fact with the vast power of the stock system. It is guaranteed to put a grin on your face and if you want more speed get the 4s and use the 5x5 propeller.

Is this plane for a beginner?

The Flyzone Hadron is intended for pilots with at least intermediate flight skills. You do need some comfort with flying but it is not difficult to fly. The power keeps the plane moving fast so experience is needed.

Flight Video

Here you can see the Hadron in action.

RCGroups Revew Flyzone Hadron (1 min 42 sec)

Sorry the flat spins we did on filming day were simply missed due to over-zooming by me the video guy. Rather than delay the review Hobbico has an excellent instructional video I have linked to below. These flat spins are amazing - just look!

Flyzone Hadron How to Flat Spin (1 min 22 sec)

Conclusion

The aggressive styling of the Flyzone Hadron give this model a sleek, fast look. It is molded foam using the dense AeroCell foam. It is strong, light for the size and yet very easy to repair with normal CA glue. I am a big fan of the AeroCell foam with the tight beads that allow for a smooth finish. Hadron is a looker on the ground and in the air.

The Hadron is almost completely assembled and the Tx-R version has all you need to fly. It comes included with a charger, propellers, motor, ESC, 3s battery, servos and the Tactic SLT receiver. All you need is an SLT transmitter or AnyLink to use your transmitter!

Assembly is lightning fast. You attach the vertical stabilizer, propeller and add some hook and loop for the battery. That is it! These tasks plus a few short setup tasks on your preferred transmitter and you are ready to fly.

Hand launching is best left to a buddy for your first flight sessions. It will need a firm level toss to get it going. It will accelerate very quickly and it climbs like a home-sick angel. The model is a pure blast of fun in the air. It will do all wing type aerobatics and it is smooth and precise. Even with 3s power it burns through the air quickly.

The Hadron CG was easy to attain with the long sleek nose. I found the stock CG recommendation to be spot on for first flights. Don't be afraid to experiment with CG however. I added a bit more elevator throw and with some expo this is one smooth ship. As with all wings the loading is light and it will float well on landings. Wind handling was excellent in fact it laughed at the wind.

The unique flat spins aided by the thrust vectoring are simply a sight to behold. They are loud, powerful and so tight it will make your head spin! I could not have been more impressed with the flat spins and recovery.

This plane really attracts attention at the field especially when in the spins. You must recover from the spins it is not self righting but that just adds to the exhilaration. These flat spins really set the Hadron apart from the pack. They are amazing!

The Flyzone Hadron Tx-R is a real treat with little assembly and out of the box to in the air in minutes. Need something different? Get your Hadron today!

Hits:

• Magnet secured battery hatch
  • Quick assembly
  • Complete hardware package
  • Servos installed
  • Impressive power for 3s or 4s packs
  • Detailed instruction manual
  • Flight performance
  • Rugged

Misses:

• Check the carbon tube is well glued or the battery may pull it out during flat spins
Last edited by Angela H; Dec 03, 2013 at 03:01 PM..

Discussion

Old Dec 03, 2013, 11:22 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,264 Posts
FWIW, the manufacturer does not recommend using AnyLink with this model
(See ad in Tower Hobbies magazine and also Hadron discussion thread here on RCG)
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old Dec 04, 2013, 07:50 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
Thanks for the comments. No issues for me. Odd - I know the thread but have not seen an official statement from Hobbico/AnyLink on this. But range is certainly not an issue as this would not be visible at 1000 feet, at least for me.

I didn't see anything officially on the Hadron page either. Maybe Tim can comment here too.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2013, 09:28 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
Itc - did a little searching and did indeed find that you are correct - per the product page small print here:

http://www.flyzoneplanes.com/airplan...612/index.html

Thanks for the correction!

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2013, 09:29 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,702 Posts
Yea, here's copy from the Hadron page on the Tower Hobbies web site:

With the AnyLink SLT 2.4GHz Radio Adapter (TACJ2000) (separate purchase) and the appropriate AnyLink cable with compatible aircraft transmitter 6-channels or higher may be used to fly this airplane. See http://www.tx-ready.com/anylink-chart.html for full transmitter compatibility chart.

This indicates to the reader that AnyLink is okay. But it is contradicted by this:

Here's copy from the Hadron page on the Flyzone web site:

Since the Hadron VT Flying Wing is an extremely fast, high-speed aerobatic model that can travel great distances very quickly, we do not recommend using it with the Tactic AnyLink Radio Adapter.

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
Old Dec 04, 2013, 09:32 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
Thanks Tim for the input...

I can say it is working fine for me. Perhaps I will just switch out the RX as I am having a TOTAL BLAST with this plane.

At any rate, maybe I just need a new Tactic TX. LOL!

Back to flat spins. I now am so comfy with them I change the direction mid-spin. Another fun task! I am really having a fun time with this one...

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2013, 09:33 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,702 Posts
Surely Mike.

Well, I've used the Tactic quite a bit and I have to admit it's pretty nice for beginner/intermediate stuff like the Hadron.

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:54 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
I would appreciate a $30-50 airframe with some plastic bits like from the old days of 2010. This $40 airframe complete Stryker was 4S and pretty fun.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:26 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
I would buy a couple EPO GWS 'Strikers' airframes for $50 shipped. I was so disappointed with the discontinuation of that bagged Stryker fuse. These planes are for combat, not a $150 airframe for precise maneuvers.

Oh, vector thrust. I knew a person that had differential 300W motors on a Stryker for yaw which was cool for flat spins. Other than that... It's kind of a novelty that is a one trick pony. It is fun for a while but you and everyone else will be tired of it in a week or so unless you fly combat maybe.

My main beef is that these should be beater aircraft and not $300 foamy deltas ordered RTF that you will be afraid to crash. Same with Stryker (put some different stickers on it and call it better.)

edit
Oh, I see even the F-27Q is probably discontinued. I am an old yet new person for ideas consuming these disposable airframes, so you might want to go back to $50 airframes I suppose. I have not seen a Stryker or anything like it at the field for years except for the Hobby King small clones. <shrug>
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Last edited by eagle777; Dec 11, 2013 at 02:10 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:54 AM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
1,734 Posts
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LW2220&P=1

If anyone is on the fence now is the time. On sale through Sunday for $179. After the coupon it's around $150 shipped.
Fentonflyers is offline Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Old Dec 12, 2013, 05:53 AM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,264 Posts
It is amazing that there is still an issue regarding whether or not you are supposed to fly this plane with AnyLink.

The latest Tower Ad (link in the above post) still seems to indicate it is acceptable:

"With the AnyLink SLT 2.4GHz Radio Adapter (TACJ2000)
(separate purchase) and the appropriate AnyLink cable with compatible aircraft transmitter
6-channels or higher may be used to fly this airplane.
See http://www.tx-ready.com/anylink-chart.html for full transmitter compatibility chart.

I've never seen anything quite like it before.
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old Dec 12, 2013, 07:26 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers View Post
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LW2220&P=1

If anyone is on the fence now is the time. On sale through Sunday for $179. After the coupon it's around $150 shipped.
Great find man! Heck of a deal guys -- this thing is a blast!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2013, 09:21 PM
Going broke, dam this hobby
cleveland oh
Joined Mar 2009
627 Posts
what coupon
xlrDALLAS is offline Find More Posts by xlrDALLAS
Old Dec 12, 2013, 09:24 PM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
1,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlrDALLAS View Post
what coupon
Look at Towers site. They are on the main page. They get even better if you belong to their club.
Fentonflyers is offline Find More Posts by Fentonflyers