HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:57 PM
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Oct 2008
341 Posts
The fuel tubing must touch the barrel at WOT or the barrel oscillates and changed the venturi diameter and then the intake flow pulses and you lose power. If you want the barrel to rotate to the idle position and not stall out the throttle servo you must cut the tubing flat on one side that is installed on the carb body and diagonally on the other side that has enough tension to to keep the throttle body from oscillating at WOT yet compresses to let the carb barrel rotate to idle without stalling out the throt servo. It is a trial and error method of getting the tubing long enough with the just right diagonal cut to achieve the desired results.
I Marauderer is offline Find More Posts by I Marauderer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2013, 01:54 PM
United States, MN, Garrison
Joined May 2004
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Marauderer View Post
The fuel tubing must touch the barrel at WOT or the barrel oscillates and changed the venturi diameter and then the intake flow pulses and you lose power. If you want the barrel to rotate to the idle position and not stall out the throttle servo you must cut the tubing flat on one side that is installed on the carb body and diagonally on the other side that has enough tension to to keep the throttle body from oscillating at WOT yet compresses to let the carb barrel rotate to idle without stalling out the throt servo. It is a trial and error method of getting the tubing long enough with the just right diagonal cut to achieve the desired results.
Thats the answer I was looking for Thank you Marauderer!
two-stroke is offline Find More Posts by two-stroke
Old Nov 11, 2013, 02:01 PM
United States, Mt, Billings
Joined Feb 2012
144 Posts
No one I know that is running 424 with these engines are running the tubing. I could be wrong, I just don't see any of the guys monkeying with it. The low speed screw is also turned out, unobstructing the venturi and is secured with some CA to get the most RPM's out of these great little engines. When the slow speed screw is out they won't idle very well. So I don't see the need for the tubing, if you pull it back after the race the engine quits, at WOT the barrel is unobstructed.
Edalves68 is offline Find More Posts by Edalves68
Old Nov 11, 2013, 02:19 PM
Joined Feb 2012
144 Posts
Marauderer, could be right, I have never noticed any movement of the barrel at WOT during the running or race. Really curious now, I will inspect next time I run up one of the vipers? Thanks guys!!!!
Old Nov 11, 2013, 02:48 PM
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Oct 2008
341 Posts
I only needs the tubing if you remove the spring that holds the barrel in place. the reason for removing the spring is it has been know to break and get ingested in the engine ruining it.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 03:18 PM
Joined Feb 2012
144 Posts
Everyone in our regional racing community has removed the spring to avoid the potential for the spring to break and be ingested. I have been told when it happens it happens during a flight/race it can be clearly heard. There is no doubt to what happened. I'm just not sure how many have used the fuel tubing substitute despite the fact that most are aware it can be used. Thanks
Old Nov 11, 2013, 03:36 PM
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Oct 2008
341 Posts
If I was racing against you and you were beating me I would tell you not to put the fuel tubing shim in the barrel. The barrel oscillating will slow you down a hundred rpm of so.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 03:45 PM
Joined Feb 2012
144 Posts
Spoken like a true and experienced racer, LOL!!!!! That's exactly why I'm looking into it, it all adds up. The faster one gets, the slower the tips come in, ha!!!!
Old Nov 11, 2013, 03:53 PM
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Oct 2008
341 Posts
I have been working with a new racer this past year and at the Julian Race two weekends ago he beat both myself and two of my friends that have been helping him along. My one friend looked him in the eye and said that he was on his own now since he beat us. That has always been the reward for beating your mentors.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 04:05 PM
Joined Feb 2012
144 Posts
Sounds familiar, I have been told at least a handful of times over the last two years or so, I'm now on my own. One of the things I love about the gig, is the sharing of information from one racer to another. What a great community. Even in the heat of competition, when tempers may flare. I love all the guys. We all have an edge, other wise we would collect stamps. Oops, I have some old stamps, LOL!!! I love the old racing stories. But, at some point, if it's perceived that one is getting in front of himself. (no, not me) you have to twist a little harder for more info. I have a friend and experienced MT racer, Leon Elbert, I tease him all the time that he gives me one tip at every event. That in ten years I might be able to keep up with him. It's mostly a joke, kinda!!!! It's a great hobby!!!!!
Old Nov 11, 2013, 04:08 PM
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Oct 2008
341 Posts
Yep, you are absolutely correct.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 04:08 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Marauderer View Post
I have been working with a new racer this past year and at the Julian Race two weekends ago he beat both myself and two of my friends that have been helping him along. My one friend looked him in the eye and said that he was on his own now since he beat us. That has always been the reward for beating your mentors.
Hmmmm. I assume your talking about me.

Don't sell yourself short Barry, you just didn't notice the JETT 40 I attached to my Plane in place of the Thunder Tiger.

This sport is Full of Super Nice people. Barry is a Large reason why I'm doing well.
Dale 813 is offline Find More Posts by Dale 813
Old Nov 11, 2013, 04:17 PM
Joined Feb 2012
144 Posts
I'm truly blessed guys, I have some great racers out here, handing me my lunch regularly. It keeps me pushing, trying harder to go faster!!!
Old Nov 12, 2013, 12:56 PM
Joined Feb 2012
144 Posts
Thanks for the info Doc, great read, in both cases!
Old Nov 12, 2013, 01:54 PM
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Oct 2008
341 Posts
Ed, I have more so stay tuned to your inbox. I just didn't want to overload you all at once.