HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Quanum GPS Logger V2

With Backlit LCD Display NEO-6 U-Blox

Splash

Compact, affordable and records useful information—the Quanum GPS Logger V2

We have all heard the “fishing stories” out at the field and on the track, “My RC car does 120mph” or “My ducted fan accelerates going vertical!”…well, it’s time to prove it!

The Quanum GPS Logger V2 is a stand-alone device that packs the power of a U-BLOX NEO-6 GPS receiver, and records everything from; distance traveled, start and end positions, UTC time stamps, course and speed…and the infamous MAX speed the logger reached. The data can be viewed on the integrated backlit LCD or the NEMA data can be downloaded to a PC and plotted out on map sites such as Google Earth. To save weight the logger gets its power from a spare channel from your receiver so no additional battery is needed.

There are endless uses, from finding your model's maximum speed and utilizing the hard-data to refine your set-up, and of course there is provable bragging rights you could flaunt around on YouTube! Heck, you could even attach a small battery pack and drop it in your kids backpack and see if they really went to the library after school or not…The Quanum GPS Logger is just one of those tools you should just have in your tool box for when hard-data is better than your calibrated eyeball.

SPECS
Receiver:NEO-6M U-BLOX
Frequency:L1, 1575.42 MHz, C/A Code
Channels:50
Max Speed Recording:1000km/h (621.4mph)
Sensitivity:-161 dBm (Tracking & Navigation)
Accuracy:2.5 m (GPS), 2.0 m (SBAS)
Cold Start:27 s approx.
Navigation:UTC date and time, geographic coordinates, time, speed, course
Logging:Geographic coordinates, date and time, speed, course, distance (up to 100km)
Logging time:>1000 hours
Logging ON/OFF Control:Manual, RC (1520us)
Indicator:LCD, 2*16 with backlit
Control:Menu/page, enter
Voltage:4.5V ~ 6.5V
Current:80mA typical
Size:24 x 77 x 18mm
Weight:43g (1.5oz.)
Item no.:9381000149
Price:$51.52

Visit this site for more information on products from HOBBYKING!

Discussion

Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:32 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,783 Posts
Too pricey for my "needs", but it looks like a nice product. If it drops to about $30 I'll pick one up.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Sep 18, 2013, 11:11 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,915 Posts
I don't see much advantage over my Garmin ForeRunner 201, perhaps this one is lighter.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:48 PM
United States, CT, Brookfield
Joined Jun 2013
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
I don't see much advantage over my Garmin ForeRunner 201, perhaps this one is lighter.
How about size? Is the Garmin smaller than the Quanum?
Paul Onorato is offline Find More Posts by Paul Onorato
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A little about me.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:34 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,395 Posts
There is no altimeter, how can it tell if your jet does gain speed going vertical?

If it's got an altimeter, I'm all in.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Confessions of a smoker...
Old Sep 19, 2013, 04:04 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
There is no altimeter, how can it tell if your jet does gain speed going vertical?

If it's got an altimeter, I'm all in.
GPS has altitude , this logger store NMEA, so via a PC you can read the logged altitude.

Still it would be nice if it would record max , min and current altitude (even if GPS altitude is not very accurate)
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Sep 19, 2013, 04:05 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
The only reason that justify this GPS unit ... it is for every body that want to win 3000 $ making a car speed record ... only this GPS unit is recognized by HobbyKing competition
Old Sep 19, 2013, 04:07 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Too pricey for my "needs", but it looks like a nice product. If it drops to about $30 I'll pick one up.
If you have already a GPS unit used by some multi-copter ... and you want to place this GPS everywhere.

All you need is small 1S lipo, 1 OpenLog (25$ on ebay) and your GPS ... connect them together, and you have your cheap small GPS logger

I made one in this way, and it end up less then 20g unit
Old Sep 19, 2013, 09:58 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,395 Posts
I may pick this up for my glider to see how high it's going. I was thinking about getting just an altimeter, but considering it's GPS as well I think I could find a few uses. And it costs almost as much as an HK altimeter alone.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Confessions of a smoker...
Old Oct 22, 2013, 02:28 PM
Joined Sep 2007
9 Posts
Regret having bought this crap...

Shows logger start and end position (Without hight!), distance, total logtime, maximum speed and last course (ofcause identical with way home). that´s it...

When connected to PC, it shows actual Time & Date (GMT)...no way of getting Data from it to PC...

When asking Hotline, HK admits it to be a "future feature"....

It´s 43.8gr...

v800290
v800290 is offline Find More Posts by v800290
Last edited by v800290; Oct 22, 2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 03:15 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v800290 View Post
Regret having bought this crap...

Shows logger start and end position (Without hight!), distance, total logtime, maximum speed and last course (ofcause identical with way home). that´s it...

When connected to PC, it shows actual Time & Date (GMT)...no way of getting Data from it to PC...

When asking Hotline, HK admits it to be a "future feature"....

It´s 43.8gr...

v800290
Sorry to hear it ...

It is really wrong from HK to advertise a future feature ... the reading of the log from PC was in the current product description.

Quote:
*Note: To download the NMEA file to your computer for history mapping, you will need a standard RS-232 cable - not included. All other information can be viewed via the integrated LCD and menu.
Maybe the community can make a better firmware sooner then HK .. but I'm afraid this is not a really popular item, since it is overpriced for what it does ... especially now that a GPS cost 16$, LCD cost 3$ and a capable CPU cost 3$ ... so a DIY can cost as low as 22$
Old Oct 23, 2013, 03:46 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,915 Posts
Plus a used Garmin Forerunner entry level wristwatch GPS costs about the same, and really has a link to pc function. Plus it has it's own power supply.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SoloProFan; Oct 23, 2013 at 04:05 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 12:54 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
Plus a used Garmin Forerunner entry level wristwatch GPS costs about the same, and really has a link to pc function. Plus it has it's own power supply.
Can you give me a link to the Garmin you refer to at the same price ?
1958steveflying is offline Find More Posts by 1958steveflying
Old Oct 23, 2013, 03:14 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1958steveflying View Post
Can you give me a link to the Garmin you refer to at the same price ?
You missed, about and used

A new Garmin cost 150$ ... so it is like apple vs bananas

Old Oct 23, 2013, 04:37 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,915 Posts
A used (not abused) ForeRunner 101 will still be a lot better than a new Quanum logger, and can (or at least coulb) be found for similar prices. But indeed, if you want to compare new vs new, the Quanum will be a lot cheaper. On the other hand, the Garmin has a light built in battery that gives up t0 13 hours of operation, which makes it a convenient package.
RCG Plus Member