HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2001, 09:37 PM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
Little bit improved method for making actuators

First thanks to Buddly6 for showing us all how to make actuators. But after making a few I started to run out of servo control horns. So I went about it a bit different way. I don't have any nice pictures, but it's not that hard. First I went out and bought a telescoping TV antenna from radio shack. I cut through it and freed one section of the antenna. Which section you free depends on how big you want the inside diameter of your actuator to be. Next I took some of the circular servo "horns" and bored out their center such that they had a tight fit onto my antenna section. Mount the antenna into a drill, and then slide the servo horns onto it. Choose the width of your actuator by changing the distance between the horns. Next place a piece of electrical tape to keep the horns in place while you wrap. When applying glue/CA to the actuator, don't worry it won't stick that well to the horns, just be careful when removeing it.The rest should be simple after reading Buddly6's method. This allows different size ID's and doesn't use up lots of control horns.
Jim McPherson is offline Find More Posts by Jim McPherson
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2001, 02:01 AM
DNA
NE Ohio
Joined Jun 2001
3,311 Posts
Running out of servo horns?

I'm still using the same two servo wheels I started out with.
In the picture below, I just screw the 2 wheels together.
Then wind the coil and put a couple drops of CA on it. (no white glue)
Spray with accelerator, wait 10 seconds, then unscrew the
botton wheel and take the coil off. Apply more CA to secure it.
No need to cut any servo wheels.
DNA is offline Find More Posts by DNA
Last edited by DNA; Dec 09, 2001 at 11:49 AM.
Old Dec 09, 2001, 08:32 AM
Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2000
2,526 Posts
WOW!!! People are doing this nice actuator winder DNA, and you CAN buy servo heads at your Local hobby shop.........
Paul Penney is offline Find More Posts by Paul Penney