Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 15, 2013, 07:35 PM
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
484 Posts
Discussion
Texas cracks down on ALL drone use

Except for military and police, of course...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...ate-drone-use/
kpinnc is online now Find More Posts by kpinnc
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2013, 07:44 PM
United States, MI, Dearborn
Joined Jan 2013
195 Posts
Typical fear mongering. Just another reason to NOT visit texas.
unit311 is offline Find More Posts by unit311
Old Sep 15, 2013, 07:59 PM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2011
102 Posts
That's to bad, I thought Texas was the state of freedom, turns out in this case it's the state of fear mongering.

Ironic that they will give government agencies the ability to use drones and not citizens, who should you be more worried about spying given all the recent uncovering of NSA data collecting etc?

Also don't you love the quote from the police official
Quote:
"I'm OK if they want to limit citizens, but don't tie the hands of law enforcement,"
Thank you mister police officer for being ok with citizens rights being taken away, I guess it doesn't matter much seeing as how you are "above the law"
TheKnightFerrin is offline Find More Posts by TheKnightFerrin
Old Sep 15, 2013, 08:03 PM
United States, MI, Dearborn
Joined Jan 2013
195 Posts
And law enforcement can use them without a search warrant? Isnt that guilty until proven innocent? Soon you won't be able to do anything without being recorded. Ever see THX 1138?
unit311 is offline Find More Posts by unit311
Old Sep 15, 2013, 08:35 PM
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
484 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
"I'm OK if they want to limit citizens, but don't tie the hands of law enforcement,"
Thank you mister police officer for being ok with citizens rights being taken away, I guess it doesn't matter much seeing as how you are "above the law"
Biggest point of the entire article. Laws only apply to those not involved in making/ enforcing them.

Remember that each and every time you turn rotors, because if you (any of us) mess up the results can affect us all...
kpinnc is online now Find More Posts by kpinnc
Old Sep 15, 2013, 09:06 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Sep 2013
335 Posts
"Land of the free" indeed.

Funny how a state that let's you carry a hidden murder dispenser in your jacket (and legally, at that) is all worked up over a video camera or two.
simplepanda is offline Find More Posts by simplepanda
Old Sep 15, 2013, 09:18 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Apr 2013
1,126 Posts
Quote:
The law makes using drones to capture images of people or property without permission punishable by a fine up to $500, while also allowing those improperly photographed or filmed to collect up to $10,000 in civil penalties if they can show that images were collected or distributed with malice.
Clearly they are not restricting multirotor use. Just certain uses of cameras on them.
Violet Wolf is online now Find More Posts by Violet Wolf
Old Sep 15, 2013, 09:38 PM
Joined Nov 2012
1,322 Posts
A few articles about this law also disclose that there many (40?) exceptions to this law..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1997833
InFocus is offline Find More Posts by InFocus
Old Sep 15, 2013, 09:48 PM
Need more props..........
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2013
1,705 Posts
The law criminalizes the "intent to conduct surveillance" not the taking of pictures.
Oso Grande is online now Find More Posts by Oso Grande
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:33 PM
Tesla's Workshop
USA, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2004
2,440 Posts
Hey entrepreneurs, forward thinkers and technologists; Don't mess with Texas!

workshop is online now Find More Posts by workshop
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:37 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,299 Posts
This law does not restrict fpv flights over private property in tx so its not particularly biting.

Two points directly cross federal law, authorizing real estate use and trying to restrict hobby travel in the nas especially at legal alt

There is a clause for intent to surveil, and footage capture clause, fpv is not affected. Just as google earth can still zoom in on a Texas backyard, so can you still fly over one. The yokels who shoot at you are still breaking the law which is ironic.
branflakes is online now Find More Posts by branflakes
Old Sep 15, 2013, 11:04 PM
Australia, NSW, Albury
Joined Jul 2013
160 Posts
What about News Helicopters and Joy Flights ?
cheers
Geraus is online now Find More Posts by Geraus
Old Sep 15, 2013, 11:12 PM
Great Lone Star State
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Feb 2013
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKnightFerrin View Post
That's to bad, I thought Texas was the state of freedom, turns out in this case it's the state of fear mongering.

Ironic that they will give government agencies the ability to use drones and not citizens, who should you be more worried about spying given all the recent uncovering of NSA data collecting etc?

I brought this up some months ago and posted a link or two here so that the community could respond to the evil politicians who were attempting to pass this legislation. I hoped they weren't very committed and that our response would stop this. It didn't.

I am composing a detailed article about how this happened and why it happened for others who may be facing the same issue in their state. There are a few things to watch for and a few things you can do early on that we didn't know here in Texas.

The worst aspect of this is how it was sold. First, it was not presented to the citizens to vote on. But, those who use RC aircraft were demonized by the jerk legislators involved in an attempt to sell the ban to those who would ultimately vote it up or down.

I contacted the office of the paranoid state legislator who first developed the bill. I asked his staff to please exempt hobbyists and I gave them links to see how we are using our hobby to make fantastically beautiful pictures and movies of the great outdoors. The last person I spoke with there was very enthusiastic and said they didn't realize how RC planes and multicopters were being used. But, in the end, the author of the ban did not listen to his staff and the bill went forward and was passed.

This was a grand misuse of power by the author of the bill because he lied to the public by saying that the bill would protect the privacy of citizens when in fact all it did was stop citizens from being able to fly RC craft with a camera onboard, but the bill expands the power of the state to do what it wants with this technology to spy on We the People without a warrant. Have you heard this junk before?

The bottomline is the Texas "Drone" bill kills a hobby, stops citizens from being able to watch their homes, property or cattle with an airborne camera, and it greatly expands the power of the STATE to spy on Texans without even a single warrant.

Is THAT the kind of legislation that helps Americans?

Corrupt politicians know how to sell horrible legislation to expand their control over your life and that is exactly what happened in Texas on Sept. 1.
traceyl is online now Find More Posts by traceyl
Old Sep 15, 2013, 11:14 PM
Pastor of Muppets \m/
United States, TX, Odessa
Joined Mar 2010
967 Posts
Well when I'm flying near an oil lease, which is always, I guess I can just use the 'I was searching for environmental hazards, officer' get out of jail free card.

The politicians in this state make me embarrassed to be from here. Without getting into my personal politics too much there are certain people in this world that would like to hide behind patriotism in order to pad their own pockets and use the word and ideals of freedom to allow them to do whatever it takes to get as rich as possible and limit the freedoms of ordinary people as much as they possibly can. It really is sickening.

I wish there was more that could be done about stupidity in both mainstream political parties. How does something this silly get passed into law? They all have the idea that hobbyists could 'park' a drone over their house or business and spy on them without their ever knowing. I don't know about you but my 10-15 minutes of battery doesn't leave me much time to catch you doing something untoward in your backyard.

I have also always heard that they weren't trying to go after the hobbyist. We were just going to be a casualty. It was always meant as an attempt to limit the government from using drones to spy on us illegally. Well it looks like the 'greatest state in the nation' has done the absolute opposite. WTG Texas. ~Golf Clap~
major.monogram is offline Find More Posts by major.monogram
Old Sep 15, 2013, 11:44 PM
Great Lone Star State
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Feb 2013
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by major.monogram View Post

I have also always heard that they weren't trying to go after the hobbyist. We were just going to be a casualty. It was always meant as an attempt to limit the government from using drones to spy on us illegally. Well it looks like the 'greatest state in the nation' has done the absolute opposite. WTG Texas. ~Golf Clap~
Believe it or not, the author of this bill was being interviewed when he said that the reason he wanted to ban "Drones" in Texas was because the rancher next door uses a drone to watch his cattle with and that rancher may be spying on him.

So this entire bill was passed because an idiot Texas legislator feared that a rancher was spying on him.
traceyl is online now Find More Posts by traceyl