HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2004, 01:33 AM
Go Giants!
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Jun 2002
1,069 Posts
How did you re-inforce your GWS Corsair wing?

I am going to be putting a Himax 2025-5300 in my Corsair (which I have not built yet), and I am scared of folding the wing on a high speed, high stress manuever.

This plane should be very fast, and I originally thought that the groove on the underside of the wing was for a spar, but as I took a closer look I came to realize that it is not for a spar.

So how did you reinforce your wing?

I was considering Carbon Fiber tape, but was wondering what everybody else has done?

Thanks,

Brian
Flybyguy is offline Find More Posts by Flybyguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2004, 09:42 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,601 Posts
Hi Brian:
I am only running a standard 350 in my Corsair and so I did nothing to strengthen mine personally. The wing is pretty thick and should be able to handle the additional stresses you are talking about with the motor you are considering. But if you want to beef it up you might want to consider the modification I did on my Terry wing which kept it nice and strong despite using a brushless in it for a while and pulling some pretty good Gs with it. On the Terry I epoxied a half inch wide strip of carbon fiber to the bottom of the wing covering the center 2/3s of the wing going from tip to tip about even with the C/G location and a second strip a few inches forward of the trailing edge that covered the center 1/3 of the wing.
For the Corsair I would use two strips and I would not glue anything to the curved center section of the bottom of the wing that matches the fuselage but I would add the strips starting next to the portion matching the fuselage and going out towards the tip about three inches past where the molded in groove ends. I would have it next to the groove. This will strengthen the section of the wing that will be most affected by your increased speed and not needlessly add weight toward the wing tips where it wouldn't help the plane any way. Hope that helps you! Michael Heer
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2004, 09:52 AM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
I am running the himax 2025-4200 in mine with no re-inforcing at all. I broke the wing in half on a hard nose in as I lost orientation of the plane. Some epoxy and back in the air with no problems at all. There is no flex at all on this wing and I fly it pretty hard at all times.
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
Old Feb 15, 2004, 09:58 AM
Baldwin City, kansas
Joined Sep 2003
162 Posts
flybyguy,

I purchased the same himax 2025-5300 for the corsair. E-flightline had the exact set up in their corsair with no bracing.....virtually stock. The thicker wing is very strong. So, even a little carbon fiber reinforcement would go a long way to adding strenghth. Good luck. (My corsair is still in the box .
prankster is offline Find More Posts by prankster