HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Delivery Drones Bringing Packages to a Doorstep Near You

One day, a drone just might stop by to drop off your mail

Splash

Knock knock! It's a Drone

SF Express, a Chinese Delivery Company is testing the use of multi rotor aircraft for use in delivering packages to remote locations. Trail runs have already begun in Dongguan City. It appears they are using custom Octo copters that have a large mounting system to accept a decent size box and payload.

The copters would come with a navigation system that would require an address and flight path input. Operators would be able to monitor the flight and make flight path corrections if required.

Logistically it seems like a hard sell at the moment, but I keep saying it, one day, copters will be everywhere used in all sorts of applications. I think it's awesome and feels like we are approaching the sci fi futures we see in movies. Companies like SF Express are working to make that happen. [South China Morning Post]

Discussion

Old Sep 18, 2013, 12:11 PM
Joined May 2013
330 Posts
i dont see this panning out- between cost, labor, risk, delivery time etc. one pilot per package vs a guy in a truck with a few hundred and a route. factor in flight time...and distance? maybe in a few more years after the involved tech is a bit more advanced? power packs in particular.

although- it does look like a program obama would support, overwhelming costs and taking jobs from actual people.
5 oclock charlie is offline Find More Posts by 5 oclock charlie
Last edited by 5 oclock charlie; Sep 18, 2013 at 12:25 PM. Reason: had to insert smart remark
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:29 PM
BadPilot
United States, IL, Custer Park
Joined Nov 2007
1,706 Posts
I can see this working for intercity delivery's when the technology is far enough along that each drone can scan the address and fly to a roof-top destination and return without any human actions to pick up the next delivery. It is just a matter of time.

John
badpilotto is offline Find More Posts by badpilotto
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:36 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2 Posts
I could see there being one pilot to oversee perhaps 10 different simultaneous drones. As the tech gets more reliable then they can keep decreasing that ratio until there's thousands of drones and only a handful of technicians. Unfortunately, everyone is so media scared/paranoid in the states its not going to happen here for a long time. But china? sure!
KevinHainline is offline Find More Posts by KevinHainline
Old Sep 20, 2013, 07:19 PM
bacon and eggs
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined May 2013
1,060 Posts
[QUOTE=5 oclock charlie;26145021

although- it does look like a program obama would support, overwhelming costs and taking jobs from actual people.[/QUOTE]

haha THIs.
remvideo is offline Find More Posts by remvideo
Old Sep 29, 2013, 02:53 PM
220 221 Whatever it takes
USA, IL, Belleville
Joined Dec 2009
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 oclock charlie View Post
i dont see this panning out- between cost, labor, risk, delivery time etc. one pilot per package vs a guy in a truck with a few hundred and a route. factor in flight time...and distance? maybe in a few more years after the involved tech is a bit more advanced? power packs in particular.

although- it does look like a program obama would support, overwhelming costs and taking jobs from actual people.
I agree with you. Don't especially think he has been good for the majority of the US population. YOMV
captdave221 is offline Find More Posts by captdave221
Old Oct 01, 2013, 12:42 PM
Where did that tree come from?
Random locations in the Continental US
Joined Jul 2008
112 Posts
Spectacularly dangerous...o
xidkid is offline Find More Posts by xidkid