HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2001, 04:59 PM
Mincha Victoria Aussie
Joined Dec 2000
461 Posts
the fearenstein GWS motor is no more!!

early morning I hit the skies -- a little windy but ok.well the new batteries were doing sooooo well 35 mins into the flight and at about 300' high the wind picked up a little again not bad controllable but I was working the little bird to keep it on track -- then I tried a quick 180 to orientate myself better into the headwind-- GOOD MOVE JOYCE!!!-- the rear wing mount couldnt take the strain-- SNAP!!! I saw one wing go flutter flutter flutter before it ripped itself off the crippled bugger,the remaining wing did a credible job of auditioning for a javelin job at the next Olympics and guided therest of the plane straight down like an arrow!! 300' to zero in about 5 seconds so intent on pulling up during a VNE (velocity never exceeded) manouveur I actually pulled the stabaliser off the fuse-Note (says to himself ) A Litestik cannot employ full up elevator at a pure vertical at 30 mph
Well nows the chance to build that VEE-Tail beauty I always wanted to
aussie slowman is offline Find More Posts by aussie slowman
Last edited by aussie slowman; Dec 08, 2001 at 05:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2001, 05:14 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
I have broken so many Bamboo skewer sticks in minor (& Major Crashes) that I just went ahead & bought a Pack of them at Walmart. All they had was a Pack of 100! I sure hope I don't break that many!
I still love my Litestick! I got a Deal from Tower, Bought 2 Litesticks for $48 Including Shipping! I did steal the DX-A Motor out of one of the kits but it's nice to know I have a Backup plane in case mine does what the Aussie Man's did!

P.S. - I fly over a Yard that contains (2) Large Dogs, the Dogs have expressed their desire to me that they will eat my Litestick WHOLE if it goes into their Perimeter!
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
Old Dec 08, 2001, 05:34 PM
Mincha Victoria Aussie
Joined Dec 2000
461 Posts
Mrebman Funnily enough it wasnt the bamboo that let go but the mount actually snapped---- Told you it was windy!
What actually amazed me more than anything was the absolute spear properites this displayed on the way down -- we are talking straight vertical!! I have got back up bits as well -- but the saddest part was that this was my highly modded original DX-A-- the motor survived really well the gear box is in 13 YES 13 pieces!! An awesome display of shatteration!! I did not even bend one of my cooling fins
I take my big vicious Rottweiller to the park with me when I fly and she has expressed a distinct "sookyness" if you even think about buzzing her (shes also afraid of day old chickens )
I do have back up motor units but have never fried a motor so I dont have a spare gearbox for it Dammit!!
This little modded fella now has over 55 hours on it and was pulling like a train when the mount said enough-- Is this a GWS record??
Old Dec 09, 2001, 07:19 AM
Mincha Victoria Aussie
Joined Dec 2000
461 Posts
Its still breathing!!!:D

THE BELLS THE BELLS!!! The V-Tail is now complete!! I now have carbon fibre spars -- alloy mounts -C/F pushrods - a braced V-tail set up-- flush mount wing cover to hide the gap between wings -- (DO THIS!!! heaps more lift!!) Am looking at the Horejsi 7.8:1 three bladed speed 300 ---its shaking in the corner
And getting the heat gun out to remove some of the wing washout-- THE BELLS are getting louder!!!
With all the fun of the newer GWS models its still fun to mod the litestick into the beast it never dreamed it could be
Old Dec 09, 2001, 11:17 AM
Joined May 2000
2,837 Posts
Hui Aussie Slowman. Sorry to hear of the motors demise. I suggest you bronze it and hang it up somewhere! Will we see a picture of the latest antipode electric flying device anytime soon?Cheers to ya Best Regards
Bleriot is offline Find More Posts by Bleriot
Old Dec 09, 2001, 01:42 PM
Worcester, MA.
Joined Nov 2001
1,408 Posts
FEARENSTEIN????

That motor looks more like something Dr. Frankenstein came up with!

And you say IT survived? (Bleriot's so used to fryin' 'em, he figured you did too! )

Seriously though. What the hades are the copper coils on that thing? And are those homemade cooling fins?

I AM IMPRESSED!~

Dennis-
DBCherry is offline Find More Posts by DBCherry
Old Dec 09, 2001, 02:21 PM
Mincha Victoria Aussie
Joined Dec 2000
461 Posts
G'Day guys

Bleriot-- will definately get some piccies up in the next day or so-- I might just send you the motor --- so you can say you owned a GWS that lasted longer than a snowflake in the carribean

DB -- the copper coils are an exercise in cooling as well-- they are pure copper and are sodered direct to the wiper lugs -- my theory was that the more heat I could get away from the wipers and comm. the better-- It seems to work I just cant kill the bugger- I have failed Bleriot Fly n fy 101
The fins are from a modded bourbon can lol and they work a treat too
Old Dec 09, 2001, 04:19 PM
Worcester, MA.
Joined Nov 2001
1,408 Posts
Slowman,

I figured the coils MUST be cooling related somehow! Either that or you were constructing a static fiekd generator.

Bleriot fly 'n fry 101: must of us can only aspire to his greatness! I will continue to follow in his footsteps in the hope of equaling him.

Onward and upward gentlmen!!

Dennis-
DBCherry is offline Find More Posts by DBCherry