HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2004, 04:58 PM
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Aug 2002
767 Posts
Micro-Mark Decal Sheets

I've just ordered clear laserjet and clear inkjet printer decal sheets with inkjet decal fixative. Does anyone have any experience using either of these products?
Sail 'n Soar is offline Find More Posts by Sail 'n Soar
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2004, 07:28 PM
Imagine That!
Tularosa, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,638 Posts
Printer Decal Sheets

I've used clear injet decal sheets from Bel Decal. They work well - just be aware that clear decals need to be applied to a smooth, glossy surface. Otherwise they will "silver". See how the little PZL factory logo on the vertical stab is "silvered" on my P-11C?

I prefer to use the white background decal sheets whenever possible. The national and squadron insignia are on the white material.

Tom
TomJacoby is offline Find More Posts by TomJacoby
Old Feb 14, 2004, 08:11 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,383 Posts
I have used the Micro Mark Ink Jet sheets with great success. I made the Chinese roundel for a Flying Tigers' P-40, and also a tiger logo. I used Krylon "Crystal Clear" coating for spraying the decals prior to application. My finish was glossy Sig dope, and the went on with no problems. Amost all water slide decals will silver if applied over a non-glossy surface. If you are after a flat finish, paint with a glossy paint first and then spray on a coat of flat clear after the decals have been applied.
vonJaerschky is online now Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Feb 14, 2004, 08:47 PM
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Aug 2002
767 Posts
Thanks for the information. Tom, I don't notice the silvering in your photo, but I'll head your advce. For my immediate project I plan to use the decals over Monokote, so the non-glossy surface application won't be a problem. After reading these two posts it seems I should have included white sheets in my order. Have either of you used the clear sheets for decal patterns that include white?
Old Feb 15, 2004, 05:46 AM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,383 Posts
I made the same mistake, ordering only clear sheets ehn I shuld have bought some white. The Chinese roundel has a fair bit of white in it. I painted a white circle where the decal was to go, and then put the decalover top of that, and it worked well. If you are using them on Monokote, maybe do a test first. Some wterslide decals have trouble sticking to Monokote's slippery surface.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 11:38 AM
Imagine That!
Joined Jan 2003
1,638 Posts
Yes, I've used the clear for decals that included white, but only over a white surface. White Monokote or other plastic film works well for this.

On my PZL, the factory logo consisted of a black design and black lettering - in the photo the clear backing has silvered and stands out.

Tom
Tom
Old Feb 15, 2004, 01:01 PM
Yep its electric
St. Joseph MO
Joined Oct 2002
150 Posts
I made kinda the same mistake myself on my Flying Styro Spitfire. I have use two different types of decal paper with success. The W HT was printed on Avery 8665 clear full sheet labels. They stick on like the kit decals but have a matt finish. I used Walthers water transfer decal paper for small squadron markings and they did sliver a bit. I cut all of them as close as I can so there is very little carrier showing. They were all printed on a ALPS MD-1000 printer. It can use a white print cartrage which is why I own one. I forgot to run the white behind the red which is why the red looks dark. I did run it behind the yellow though.
Regards,
Clint
csims is offline Find More Posts by csims
Last edited by csims; Feb 15, 2004 at 01:08 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 04:15 PM
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Aug 2002
767 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TomJacoby
Yes, I've used the clear for decals that included white, but only over a white surface. White Monokote or other plastic film works well for this.

On my PZL, the factory logo consisted of a black design and black lettering - in the photo the clear backing has silvered and stands out.

Tom
Tom
Tom,

Thanks for the additional info. I have a roll of white in my stash waiting for the next repair or white project, so that seems like an easy solution. Since you have had some experience applying the water slide decals over MonoKote, did you have use a particular surface preparation? Have they aged well? From what I've learned from these various posts is that silvering is at least partially driven by not applying the decals over a smooth surface. If that's the case, seems that scuffing the MonoKote surface would lead to silvering.

In terms of silvering, how long does it take for the silvering to be noticeable?

Again, thanks, all, for the great information.

Gerry
Old Feb 16, 2004, 06:59 AM
Imagine That!
Joined Jan 2003
1,638 Posts
Gerry,

The only surface prep that a plastic film covering should need is a good cleaning. I use a Windex-knockoff. Aging - well, I expect that they will yellow over time, but mine haven't been in place that long.

Silvering takes place as the decal dries.

Tom
Old Feb 16, 2004, 03:58 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,648 Posts
This has probably been answered before, but, I can't find it.

Where can I get the symbols to print? Most of the plane info I get is from a perspective. Various WWI markings are what I am after right now.

Thanks,
Charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Feb 16, 2004, 04:09 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,383 Posts
It depends on what exactly you are after. I did my Chinese roundels on a simple Cad program. If you have a photograph of what you are after, you can scan it and then use photo editing software to get rid of what you don't want.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 04:18 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,648 Posts
I'm trying to find a source for the graphics. I can do simple ones with my graphics program, but, I have a hard time getting size and color right.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 04:42 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,383 Posts
It can be frustrating, no doubt. What exactly are you after?
Old Feb 17, 2004, 08:06 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,648 Posts
Mainly WWI British/US markings. I am just really being lazy. I could take my numerous pictures, measure them, match colors, and then draw in my drawing program (Linux GIMP). I was hoping someone had something that could be downloaded like I found for my Hurricane.

charlie
Old Feb 17, 2004, 08:18 AM
Imagine That!
Joined Jan 2003
1,638 Posts
Various Markings

portablevcb,

Are you looking for stuff like this? I've got a bunch of similar stuff. PM for more.

Tom