SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio

DuraFly Dynamic-S Performance Electric V-Tail Sailplane Plug N Fly

Very little is finer than flying the Dynamic-S WarmLiner in the MO-O-Orning!

Splash

Introduction

HobbyKing - Durafly Dynamic S (2 min 51 sec)

Wingspan: 61.4 inches
Wing Area: 21dm2
Weight: 31.75oz.
Length: 39.76 inches
Servos: 9 grams x 4
Transmitter: Spectrum DX7s
Receiver: HobbyKing Orange
Battery: Turnigy 3-cell 1800mAh LiPo
Motor: 35mm 920Kv Brushless Outrunner
ESC: 30Amo w/BEC
Manufacturer: Durafly
Available From: HobbyKing
Price: $125.07 PNF USA

I was very happy to have a chance to review the Durafly Dynamic-S that is imported and sold by HobbyKing and available from their USA warehouse. It is impressive to see and experience how the manufacturers such as Durafly have been able to install carbon fiber rods into the EPO foam in the assembly process and make these planes rigid and strong enough to the stress of high speed turns and yet keep them lite. The plane assembled quickly with the supplied screwdriver and installing the decals actually took me longer than I the rest of the assembly. I didn't have a polarizing lens for my video camera and if I didn't stay fairly tightly zoomed in on the plane the camera went searching for a subject and the sailplane went out of focus in the light colored October sky. This made wider shoots on the speed runs come out very poor but I was able to get some speed shots but I recommend watching HobbyKing's opening video which accurately shows the speed the Dynamic-S is capable of better than I did. I consider the plane to be an excellent value and a fun plane to fly. To find out why, please enjoy this review.

Kit Contents

The Durafly Kit Contents

• EPO fuselage with motor and ESC already installed, plastic canopy over the battery area and aileron extension wires running from the wing saddle to the tail area.
  • V-Tail surfaces with hinged control surfaces and a servo mounted to each side.
  • Hardware to attach the V-Tail.
  • Two wing halves each with multiple carbon fiber rods installed and an aileron servo mounted and connected to the aileron control surface.
  • Hardware to secure the wing into a one piece wing and two bolts to mount it to the fuselage.
  • Assorted Velcro like material for the battery and receiver mounting.
  • Large sheet of decals
  • Instruction Manual
  • Phillips screwdriver

In addition to the Dynamic-S kit HobbyKing also sent me a couple of additional items to use in my review. These items are needed to fly the Dynamic-S but are not included in the kit. I was happy to have them supplied for this review.

HobbyKing Also Provided Separately

• An Orange 6 channel receiver
  • A three cell 11.4V 1800mAh Lipo Turnigy battery pack to power the plane

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._Receiver.html Here is a link to Hobbyking's Website for more information on the Orange receiver.

.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__20429__Turnigy_nano_tech_1800mah_3S_25_50C_Lipo_ Pack_USA_Warehouse_.html Here is a link to HobbyKing's Website for more information on the Turnigy Nano-Tech 3S 1800mAh 25-50C battery pack.

Author Supplied

• Balanced Lipo battery charger
  • Spectrum DX7s transmitter

Assembly

Durafly's Dynamic S Electric Performance Sailplane Assembly (7 min 40 sec)

Installing the Decals

I installed the decals before starting the rest of the assembly and I had to relocate the top tail decals so learn from my mistake. You might have noticed they magically moved during the assembly video. The two decals for the fuselage were very easy to install. There was an opening for the rear exiting air hole on the fuselage and I installed the decals using that opening as my aligning guide.

The bottom wing decals were easy to install after I looked at the pictures on the HobbyKing website showing the decals on the various plane surfaces. For the long top wing decals I fitted the two wing halves together and had my wife help me by holding the decals at the thin end as I installed the other, bigger end onto the wing surface. With her help the actual installation was easy. I the cut the long decals right at the wing roots so the wings could be taken apart if needed.

Installing the decals on the bottom of the two V-Tail surfaces had me experimenting with installing them over the plastic wing screw mounting bars. I didn't like the fit of the decals over the bars so I removed them and installed the decals directly to the foam. I punctured the decals at the mounting holes and have the bottom of the mounting bars on top of the decals as shown in the pictures. My first location for the top decals had them partially covered by the mounting plate in near the fuselage so I pulled them off and remounted them with the mounting plate in place so that the decal could be seen. The initial installation took me about a half hour and the relocation on the tail about seven minutes.

Wing

The two wing halves arrived completely assembled with the aileron servos installed and the control rods connected to the control horns on the ailerons. I just slid in the square carbon fiber wing rod over two smaller square carbon fiber wing rods and mounted the connecting plates. The top plate fits over the carbon fiber rod and connects to the front bottom plate with two screws and the back plate connects with two screws. I now had a 1 piece wing and I plan to keep it that way for storage, transportation and flight. If needed i can take it apart very quickly with a Phillips screwdriver.

Tail

I installed the left side rear stabilizer with control surface first. I connected the servo with the extension wire and tucked the wire back into the fuselage as I fit the servo and the stabilizer assembly into the fuselage. I repeated the process with the right rear stabilizer and learned it was suppose to go on top in the mounting process. I temporarily removed the servo arms and the control rods to fit on the V-Tail mounting plate over the servos and secured it into the fuselage with two mounting bolts that had been part of the hardware in the wing hardware bag. I punctured the bottom decals and installed the bottom plastic mounts into the stabilizers and secured them with two small bolts each. There was a fifth small bolt and it secured the top V-Tail mounting plate to the back of the fuselage in front of the stabilizers as shown in the video. I re-installed the servo control arms and the control rods between the control surfaces and the servos. Except for adjustment the tail assembly was complete.

Radio Installation and C/G Balance

The Orange receiver was mounted using double sided tape (I supplied) in the back of the wing saddle. The flight battery was installed from the front canopy covered area. I initially tried it on its side and it was stopped from going back into the wing saddle area by foam extensions (bumps) on the side of the fuselage. I mounted the wing and checked the marked C/G and she was nose heavy. I pulled the battery out and then installed it on its side and slid it back a bit further about half way into the wing saddle area. I installed the canopy and checked the C/G and repeated that process until it balanced on the C/G marks that came installed under the wings. The back of the battery pack was almost touching the receiver. The front of the battery was under the foam dividing the cockpit from the wing saddle. I marked the foam at the back of the battery and installed a little hook and loop material supplied in the kit to the bottom side front of the battery to secure the battery to the hook and loop material that came glued to the bottom of the inside fuselage in the cockpit/wing saddle area. I plugged the tail servos into the elevator and rudder channels on the receiver and the supplied Y-harness into the Aileron slot and connected it to the two aileron servos from the wing. I bound the receiver to my Spectrum DX7s transmitter by connecting the flight battery to the ESC and followed normal binding procedures for my DX7s.

I selected the normal wing and V-tail programing. My elevator and rudder were reversed. I switched the connectors for the elevator and rudder at the receiver and reversed the elevator. Everything was now working properly. I straightened the servo arms at the tail so that they were aligned and adjusted the control rods so that the control surfaces appeared to both be in neutral. I trimmed a little foam off of the left tail control surface so it wouldn't rub on the fuselage. Time for some trimming flights.

Completion

Installing the decals took me about a half hour and then 7 more minutes to correct for my tail decal mistakes. Part of that time was trying the bottom tail mounts under one of the decals. The assembly of the plane took me about a half hour and then trimming the plane and programming my transmitter took about another half hour working in no hurry. My total assembly time with the assembly video (no editing) and still pictures was about two hours.

The plane had been balanced on the recommended C/G with the supplied battery as has been described above. Lateral balance of the wings seemed good so I did not adjustment to the wings. I did add a little white 3M plastic tape to the wing joiner area in front of and behind the mounting plate. I charged the battery and headed off to the local park.

Flying

Trimming Tosses

At the park I double checked that the plane was balanced properly on the pre-marked C/G and that the battery was securely in place. I again checked that all controls were working properly and in the right directions. I did a radio range check and was ready to toss the Dynamic-S. With a large open stretch of the park open and unoccupied in front of me I ran forward a few steps and gave the plane a hard level forward throw at shoulder height. I had to give a little up elevator but otherwise she tracked nice and straight. After landing I adjusted the elevator trim with two clicks of up and performed another toss and this time I made no adjustments with the transmitter. She glided nice and straight and flew about fifty yards before sliding to a stop in the grass. I performed a few more tosses and was able to confirm that she turned equally well to both the right and to the left. I used just ailerons and just the v-tail controls at times and I was able to turn her with either but quicker with the ailerons as was to be expected. The marked C/G location was a good balance point for these hand tosses and I further trimmed my Dynamic-S by adjusting the elevator throw as discussed above.

At the park I was really able to appreciate how nicely protected the aileron servo were in the bottom of the wing. I also appreciated the plastic guides/protectors on both sides of the ailerons. They protect the ailerons in landing especially. I made no further adjustments to the throws. I found the V-tail controls were nicely balanced after the initial trimming of the elevator. There was a good amount of aileron throw but I wanted that for nice crisp aileron rolls. I flew her setup with just high rates on the controls with no adjustment to the total travel of any of the controls. She was now ready to really fly.

Basics

This is a four channel control plane with throttle, ailerons, elevator and rudder. I have her trimmed for what I hope is optimum glide.

Taking Off and Landing

All flights start with a hand launch. Styles and techniques vary. I prefer to make a good hard toss forward and either level or just slightly up (10 degrees or so) into any existing wind with the motor off. With my toss she will glide a good distance on the throw so I have time to get my right tossing hand onto the transmitter and then I throttle her up to slightly pass half throttle and then bring her up to full speed. I prefer my technique because there is no spinning prop by my head or anyone who might be near me. To date all of my launches using my technique have been successful and uneventful.

The Bottom is foam and for landings on good grass that is fine and I just bring her in and slide to a stop. I still perform a three stage setup for my landings just as if I was using a runway and gauge how far down wind I need to go based on the speed of the Dynamic-S and the wind speed. I like to have her slowing down and descending gradually but the size of the landing area can dictate how the approach is made. She likes to glide a long way in calm conditions when she gets down close to the earth and ground effect kicks in so I try and plan for that as well. At Kingdon Air park which is one of the fields I fly at there is no grass most of the year and they have paved over much of what used to be grass this past year. If I decide to fly her there I will add some tape to the bottom of the front of the fuselage to protect the foam from landing road rash. I strongly recommend landing on grass if you can.

Aerobatics/Special Flight Performance

She can do a very nice fast climb at a 60-70 degree climb and does a nice speed pass with a slight whistle. She can fly huge loops to small loops and she can perform an OK barrel roll and do very nice rolls for a sailplane. Best of all she has gone up in a thermal at the local park. I hit it from the side and I saw the right wing lift up at a time when she was gliding and I was hunting for thermals. She was turned a bit to the left. I put her into a hard left turn until I was headed back to towards the thermal and she went nose down and started climbing as she entered it. Just about at that moment felt the air start pulling to where I was facing and I knew it was a thermal drawing in fresh air.

I was able to stay in the thermal for a couple of minutes and drifted with the thermal to the east. I held the Dynamic-S in a banked turn using rudder and a little aileron. I climbed about 400 feet and was up to about 600 feet when I turned to head back over the park. Penetration through the down draft following the thermal was easy as was penetrating through wind on another day. She can be flown just using throttle and the right stick (ailerons and elevator) but to maximize climbs in a thermal I found it important to use rudder. Rudder also helps improve and sharpen the turns over just flying with the right stick.

After my initial flights I switched transmitters using my JR 11X and rebound the receiver to this transmitter. I was setting her up quickly and working on some other review planes and while I got the elevator working correctly I had the rudder reversed. DOOH! My friend Chris gave her a toss and I powered up and started climbing but she was heading a little bit right. I trimmed the rudder to the left and it got worse (Because it was reversed and I was actually adding more right turn.) I adjusted the aileron and got to where she was almost flying straight but I had to hold in a little left aileron. It wasn't bad so Chris took over the flying and I started taking pictures and video. Chris figured out the rudder was working opposite of what was desired and he trimmed her so that she was flying straight but using elevator and aileron. After she landed I have properly programmed my JR transmitter and reversed the servo wires for the elevator and rudder in the receiver. My next flight was back to normal. there have been no further problems. I look forward to flying her at the slope when I get a chance.

Is This For a Beginner?

No!

Flight Video/Photo Gallery

Durafly's Dynamic-S High Performance WarmLiner Sailplane (3 min 11 sec)

Downloads

Conclusion

I was very pleased with the Dynamic-S and enjoyed doing this review with the exception of my mistake with the rudder programming when I switched to my JR 11X transmitter. The Dynamic-S assembles quickly and very nicely and even more important she flies very well. In the somewhat whitish blue October sky I lost sight of the Dynamic-S when shooting the media but the bright orange and black allowed me to quickly find her even when she was flying high or out quite a distance from us. The colors seemed especially appropriate for October. The receiver and battery worked flawlessly during this review and the battery supplied appropriate power to the motor and receiver. It was appreciated that the brake on ESC came in the brake on position. In my reviews I have found that has seldom been the case which made it all the more appreciated with the Dynamic-S. While I haven't yet had her flying at the slope, I am sure she will be fun to fly there in light to moderate wind. Should the wind die I can always power up and fly her back to the top of the hill.

I have had several flying sessions with her but only one during good thermal conditions and I was happy to see her respond when she encountered lift to let me know it was there. I was then able to core her in the thermal and caught a good rise of about 400 feet as the thermal drifted down wind and I had to leave it after a couple of minutes to keep the Dynamic-S in sight. I look forward to flying more in good thermal conditions. I haven't caught a weak thermal with her yet and warm and hot liners are not noted for their thermalling abilities but I was happy to see her respond to lift with the thermal I know she encountered as I love flying RC sailplanes.

The only negative I have noted is that the very outer trailing wing tips are very thin EPO foam. I have brushed them with some CA to help stiffen them a bit but I will have to watch them in storing and transporting the wing to avoid damaging this portion of the plane. Otherwise, I am very happy to have added the Dynamic-S to my Heer Force. I think the vast majority of pilots will enjoy this plane as much as I have. Of Course the real speed freaks will want more speed, but than, don't they always?

Pluses & Minuses

Pluses

• Affordable
  • Quick Assembly
  • Flies well and has thermalled
  • Wing is rigid and reinforced internally with carbon fiber rods
  • Decals are colorful and make her easy to see
  • Does great loops and nice rolls and split Ss

Minuses

• No wheel or runner on bottom of fuselage for hard surfaces
  • Speed is warm but not HOT
  • Wing tips are a bit thin at the very end

My thanks to Durafly and HobbyKing for their supplying of the sailplane, battery and receiver for this review. My thanks to Chris for assisting with the media this review and to our editor Angela for her assistance with this article.

Last edited by Michael Heer; Oct 17, 2013 at 06:56 AM..

Discussion

Old Oct 17, 2013, 02:57 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,600 Posts
Although this plane has been available for awhile she is definitely worth a second look. I have had several requests to sell her while doing the review and the answer remains no. She is quick and easy to assemble and she is a joy to fly and thermal or just throw her around the sky as an electric plane. Michael Heer
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2013, 05:36 PM
Joined Sep 2012
392 Posts
I did love this plane until I ended up totalling it. Like you I had issues with the wingtips, I just unded up cutting them off.
Znybar is offline Find More Posts by Znybar
Old Oct 17, 2013, 08:02 PM
Scratch building addict
United States, CA, Felton
Joined Jan 2005
661 Posts
Wow that looks sharp. Everything coming out of durafly these days is looking good.
rotagen is offline Find More Posts by rotagen
Old Oct 17, 2013, 09:23 PM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jul 2011
843 Posts
I really like this plane, I eye every time I'm on hobbyking and ready to order something. I have a Radian which is great for thermals but really isn't great for warmlining and would like something like this.
MaydayMayday is online now Find More Posts by MaydayMayday
Old Oct 17, 2013, 11:21 PM
United States, AL, Northport
Joined Apr 2010
235 Posts
This is one of my favorite planes and have been enjoying mine for over a year now. Smoking hot on a 4s! Great review!
Razerworkz is offline Find More Posts by Razerworkz
Old Oct 18, 2013, 08:48 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2013
759 Posts
Nice review! Thanks for the description of the thermal. I've had this plane for a month or so now and it's great but I'm yet to slope soar it or thermal. It's similar to the Spirit Mini Glider or Super Kinetic 815 but scaled up. It's very very similar to the ST Models Blaze so a lot of Dynamic-S people post on the Blaze page but there is a Dynamic-S page.

Razerworkz, does 4S work with the stock motor and ESC? I hadn't thought to try that.
CelloGuy is offline Find More Posts by CelloGuy
Old Oct 19, 2013, 10:40 AM
Joined Apr 2010
235 Posts
It does but the ESC gets hot and I don't run power all the time. With a 4s you can just let it go and it will go straight up till you turn around.

Only way I fly now. I'm using a Rhino 4s 1550 25c I got free from hobby king. Works great and fits just right.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 03:17 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,600 Posts
I and some friends will be flying mine at this coming Saturday's Modesto Electric Fun Fly. We will see what she does in some really hard dives from altitude. Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2013, 09:06 PM
Joined Apr 2010
235 Posts
Don't dive from alt and expect to pull out. It is EPO and control surfaces will stop working if the plane goes too fast.

I've had two death dives and the only thing that kept it from going in was a slight roll both times.
Old Nov 03, 2013, 10:22 PM
3d nut
United States, CA, Stockton
Joined Jan 2008
108 Posts
you'll sale it, you sale everything else you get at cost.
paul kelley is offline Find More Posts by paul kelley
Old Nov 14, 2013, 03:57 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,600 Posts
I flew her today during my lunch break. Paul I do buy and sell a lot of planes and my wife wishes you were correct about my selling everything. But you are wrong. Mike H
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:02 AM
United States, FL, Cocoa Beach
Joined Apr 2013
50 Posts
can anyone tell me how long delivery was from hobby king ?
limey12 is offline Find More Posts by limey12
Old Apr 26, 2014, 03:57 PM
I dont like crashes!
Germany, BY, M
Joined Jul 2013
1,312 Posts
- Is it possible to cruise around on 3S with this plane like my AXN Floater Jet? Or is the ESC getting hot or the motor getting burned?

- What are the weak points at this plane? In other words, which items should i order with the plane to get it safe in the air when it arrives to me?

- Important recommendations before first flight?

Uwe
SilbernerSurfer is online now Find More Posts by SilbernerSurfer
Old Apr 27, 2014, 03:08 AM
Joined Apr 2010
235 Posts
3s is fine. I float around sometimes. My record is 27min in the air on 3s. It's not a thermal plane it's meant to go fast. Great flying