HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2004, 04:12 PM
Love them P-40's!
USA, MO, Kansas City
Joined Feb 2004
509 Posts
AXI motor service

Does anyone know where I could send an AXI motor to have it repaired? The place I bought claims they have no idea. I had a bad crash with it this morning. There is not a mark on it suprisingly. The shaft was forced backwards though knocking off some of the shaft retainer pieces. Here is a picture of the plane. It used to be a SA Groove.
P-40 is offline Find More Posts by P-40
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2004, 04:13 PM
Love them P-40's!
USA, MO, Kansas City
Joined Feb 2004
509 Posts
Picture

It's hard for me to look at.
Last edited by P-40; Mar 31, 2004 at 07:13 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2004, 04:33 PM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
Try Hobby-Lobby as they are the importers. It will probably go back to the manufacturer who can be reached via www.modelmotors.cz

--
Dave
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms
Old Feb 14, 2004, 04:41 PM
Bristol, England
Joined Aug 2000
2,077 Posts
Hmm,

Service is available, ideally that would be through your chosen dealer, however:

We are an approved service centre (we only look after warranty for our own customers though). Some of the motors have parts that can be changed, some rely on replacing either the rotor or the stator and these parts are readily available. The early 2814s and 2820s are at first glance sealed for life, but they are not a problem for us to service either.
John E is offline Find More Posts by John E
Old Feb 14, 2004, 04:53 PM
Bristol, England
Joined Aug 2000
2,077 Posts
Clearly Hobby-Lobby are a Model Motors distributor, though I'm sure they are not responsible for ALL the Model Motors in the US - in just the same way as I am not responsible for all the Model Motors in UK. Though I'm happy to provide a service facility for all Model Motors in UK - just not warranty facilities for them all.
Old Feb 14, 2004, 05:16 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,864 Posts
Sorry about your loss. That is a sad looking Groove, but it looks better than mine did after it had an untimely meeting with terra firma. Three weeks old too.

I recently had a similar crash with an AXI. It was the 2808/20 and it was in an ESport-8, also a loss. There was a "C" clip and a little bit of a collar shaped thing that got pushed up on the shaft as the shaft got pushed through the motor. I just slid them back into place (the clip should pop into a groove) and the motor appears to be fine. I have run it since.

Len
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP
Last edited by LenBFP; Feb 14, 2004 at 06:07 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2004, 05:27 PM
Love them P-40's!
USA, MO, Kansas City
Joined Feb 2004
509 Posts
Actually Hobby-Lobby is where I got it. The person I talked to said there was not much they could do and they do not stock parts for them. Seems odd, but that's what he said.

LenBFP,

It sounds like what happened to yours is the same as what happened to mine. The small C-clip came loose and a small brass ring was on the shaft that I do not remember seeing before. It had a collet prop adapter on it that did not come off in the crash that kind held everything together and took the brunt of the asphalt impact.

JohnE,

Do you sell the parts for the 2808 motors?
Last edited by P-40; Feb 14, 2004 at 05:59 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2004, 05:56 PM
100% electric since 1990
United States, MA, Ware
Joined Jul 2001
1,413 Posts
I've contacted MM directly by e-mail about a controller I damaged in a crash. They were very enthusiastic about sending it to them to fix it, and also answered my questions promptly- in english. I have not yet sent it in because I have several other working controllers, but will do it soon.

Hobby Lobby are retailers only. I never look to have them fix anything- not a knock, I'm just calling it as I see it (I've been a customer of theirs for 14 years).
twest is offline Find More Posts by twest
Old Feb 14, 2004, 06:00 PM
Love them P-40's!
USA, MO, Kansas City
Joined Feb 2004
509 Posts
twest,

Any idea what it would cost to send a package over there?
Old Feb 14, 2004, 06:12 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,864 Posts
P-40,

If there is no other problem than the c-clip and the brass ring, just push them back in place and your motor should be fine. Mine was.

Len
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP
Old Feb 14, 2004, 06:36 PM
Bristol, England
Joined Aug 2000
2,077 Posts
P40,

Yes, we can sell the stator or the rotor for all of the AXis normally from stock, we also have some of the bearings, not all yet - I will have to remember to make sure they are all on the next order. I am also looking into the replacement of other parts - I have had success with replacing shafts, though that is assembled to the rotor and then checked for runout at the factory (with VERY close tolerances) and the shafts are not in the spares list. We also stock brushes and springs for the MM (ex Velkom) 20 and 24 series motors along with the Graupner 480 and 600 Race.

The circlip does not even have to be on for operation (it is quite normal for me to test without the circlip on). The groove is purposely a half round and not a normal circlip groove, so it is quite normal for the circlip to spring out during a crash - I push them back with my thumb nails, and yes, I have had motors returned for this!

Best regards,

John
Old Feb 14, 2004, 09:11 PM
Nashville TN
Joined Mar 2002
174 Posts
Hello everyone,
Let me see if I can help answer some questions that have been raised. Hobby Lobby is the only approved Model Motors distributor in the United States. If you have a problem with a motor please contact us.

Here is our policy:
If purchased an AXI motor in the last 60 days and it fails we will replace it without charge. Unless of course you crash it. If this happens or it is past 60 days we will sell you a new one at 1/2 current retail price.

If you purchased the motor from one of Hobby Lobby's many dealers please return it to them for the warranty and they in turn can return the motor to Hobby Lobby for warranty replacement.

We do not have a repair facility so we try as best we can to supply our customers with a new motor.

For the Ezone member who called and was not given the correct answer I apologize. Please send me an email at eric.metzler@hobby-lobby.com and I will take care of you.

Enjoy your AXI motors!

Eric Metzler
Hobby Lobby
615-373-1444 ext 202
emetzler is offline Find More Posts by emetzler
Old Feb 14, 2004, 09:16 PM
Love them P-40's!
USA, MO, Kansas City
Joined Feb 2004
509 Posts
Eric,

Thanks for the reply. I will contact you next week. The motor was sent out on 12/9/03. So it has been just over 60 days. I would be glad to purchase a new one at half price if that is the case for my circumstance. I love the motor. It gives a LOT of fun for the money.

thanks
John
Old Feb 14, 2004, 09:21 PM
Nashville TN
Joined Mar 2002
174 Posts
John,
Please contact me on Monday or Tuesday. I'm flying to the WRAM show on Wednesday.

I'll make sure you are taken care of.

Eric
emetzler is offline Find More Posts by emetzler
Old Feb 19, 2004, 07:24 PM
Love them P-40's!
USA, MO, Kansas City
Joined Feb 2004
509 Posts
All is right.

Eric took care of the AXI situation. He sent me a new motor under the warranty. Thanks to Eric and Hobby-Lobby for superior customer service.

Thanks again to everyone else that replied here as well.