SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 11, 2013, 01:14 PM
Sky Soldier
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2013
179 Posts
Discussion
WalkeraQR X350 or the Blade QX350 w/safe tech which do you guys like?

Wanna get a quad so im debating on which to get. I have a small MQX that im learning on , now i want something that will hold my FPV gear please any suggestions
82ndRCFLYER is offline Find More Posts by 82ndRCFLYER
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2013, 01:20 PM
United States, RI, Cumberland
Joined Feb 2013
716 Posts
It's kind of hard to make a comparison since the Blade isn't out yet. Either of these should carry your FPV gear just fine. My suggestion would be to wait a few weeks, there should be plenty of comparisons/reviews between the Blade, Walkera, and Phantom (reduced pricing) by then.
AKCobra is offline Find More Posts by AKCobra
Old Sep 11, 2013, 01:23 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
These 350 size quads are actually on the small side for camera gimbal and FPV. A 450 has a lot more room to work and carry stuff. A RTF 350 is attractive to get you going, but you will outgrow one pretty quickly.

But if I had to choose one, it would be the DJI Phantom. It's a proven product with thousands of customers. I have one and it has been trouble-free since I bought it in March, not even a single crash. I will probably buy a Blade 350QX just for the convenience of getting parts at the LHS and comfort of having Horizon support.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Sep 11, 2013, 07:14 PM
Sky Soldier
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2013
179 Posts
Thanks AK Cobra yea i gotta wait for the Blade to come out first to see reviews and any changes in product. @Balr14 yea im also considering the Phantom DJI but its a little more pricey but also have heard really good thing about it.
Thanks again guys
Old Sep 11, 2013, 07:27 PM
Joined Nov 2012
1,394 Posts
Easy choice between Walkera vs Blade.. One has support, the other does not..
InFocus is offline Find More Posts by InFocus
Old Sep 14, 2013, 12:23 AM
Stockton CA.
Joined May 2007
764 Posts
I prefer the Blade QX350(BNF) , it has better features. I just order mine from Graysonhobby with coupon code"Preorder", no tax, free shipping, $357 shipped.
lrplin is offline Find More Posts by lrplin
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:05 AM
Joined Jul 2013
9 Posts
I own a lot of Walkera helis but won't buy any more due to the lack of support. I can tell you right now they have 10mw firmware on their website labeled as 100mw. I lost a quad due to this error. I emailed them about it 2 weeks ago. I've gotten no response and the error has not been corrected. If it were me, I'd go with the DJI Phantom. I saw an ad last week for $200 off! just $499! Not sure you can beat that. Good luck with whatever you decide.
sroyj is offline Find More Posts by sroyj
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:48 AM
Sky Soldier
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2013
179 Posts
well looks like walkera there is no support that's not good! So considering the Blade or DJI Phantom. Again thanks guys for the input and info greatly appreciated
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:25 PM
Almost right is always wrong..
United Kingdom, England, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2013
471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82ndRCFLYER View Post
well looks like walkera there is no support that's not good! So considering the Blade or DJI Phantom. Again thanks guys for the input and info greatly appreciated
I'm enjoying my X350 FPV rig

I had a problem with my ESC and got a new one a couple of days later free of charge.
Topgoose is offline Find More Posts by Topgoose
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:31 PM
Bye helis.. Hello multicopters
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2005
441 Posts
Before you consider purchasing the phantom, please check out the phantom flyaway thread. I know I will get flamed for saying this but here goes anyway. The phantom is high susceptible to interference. I fly my trex 250 equipped with spectrum receiver using dx6i in my huge backward surrounded by powerlines. In addition, there's a huge number of wifi s within range and have yet to experience any glitch. Yes, when I get my 350qx, I will be hovering it in my backyard without fear of losing it.

P. S my flamesuit is on.
SFS75 is online now Find More Posts by SFS75
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:55 PM
United States, RI, Cumberland
Joined Feb 2013
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgoose View Post
I'm enjoying my X350 FPV rig

I had a problem with my ESC and got a new one a couple of days later free of charge.
That's a great setup, I'd love to get a peek inside and see how you have that vtx mounted. You don't find heat to be a problem mounting it inside the body?
AKCobra is offline Find More Posts by AKCobra
Old Sep 16, 2013, 02:20 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFS75 View Post
Before you consider purchasing the phantom, please check out the phantom flyaway thread. I know I will get flamed for saying this but here goes anyway. The phantom is high susceptible to interference. I fly my trex 250 equipped with spectrum receiver using dx6i in my huge backward surrounded by powerlines. In addition, there's a huge number of wifi s within range and have yet to experience any glitch. Yes, when I get my 350qx, I will be hovering it in my backyard without fear of losing it.

P. S my flamesuit is on.
Any time you rely on GPS and a magnetic compass to do most of your flying, you run the risk of some form of error you don't get with your Trex 250. Your best bet to prevent or correct "flyaway" is manual mode. This is true of any quad. It's just a big deal with the Phantom because they have sold over 10k of them, many to beginners who have no idea what manual mode is and aren't skilled enough to use it, anyway. It remains to be seen if the 350QX is any better. "Failsafe" coding is always a tricky thing.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 02:51 PM
Bye helis.. Hello multicopters
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2005
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Any time you rely on GPS and a magnetic compass to do most of your flying, you run the risk of some form of error you don't get with your Trex 250. Your best bet to prevent or correct "flyaway" is manual mode. This is true of any quad. It's just a big deal with the Phantom because they have sold over 10k of them, many to beginners who have no idea what manual mode is and aren't skilled enough to use it, anyway. It remains to be seen if the 350QX is any better. "Failsafe" coding is always a tricky thing.
Unless I'm in a park far away from powerlines, I will be flying with gps disabled just to be on the safe side . you are correct about running the risk of crashing or experiencing flyaway when flying with gps enabled. There is no such thing as interference proof in the rc world. But With the 350qx in the event of magnetic interference, the quad will simply descend slowly ( per the user manual).
SFS75 is online now Find More Posts by SFS75
Old Sep 16, 2013, 04:35 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFS75 View Post
Unless I'm in a park far away from powerlines, I will be flying with gps disabled just to be on the safe side . you are correct about running the risk of crashing or experiencing flyaway when flying with gps enabled. There is no such thing as interference proof in the rc world. But With the 350qx in the event of magnetic interference, the quad will simply descend slowly ( per the user manual).
The problem isn't in what a quad will do when an error condition exists, it's in recognizing it. Until you actually experience a real-world error condition, it's damn hard to code for it. I hope it works the way you think it will. Otherwise, you best hope the firmware can be upgraded and tuned as well as Naza allows.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 05:19 PM
United States, CA, Baldwin Park
Joined Jun 2004
2,059 Posts
I have flown the Walkera, but not the Blade. Even though I haven't flown the Blade I would pick it over the Walkera for one main reason. Horizon has fantastic customer support. Plus give it a few weeks and I beat there will be a new version of the Walkera lol I would not use the Walkera for FPV. I have flown it and well it's just ok. Nothing fancy or wow about it. My Phantom flies much better I'm debating about getting the Blade. I have too many stuff laying around right now
TonyTypeS is offline Find More Posts by TonyTypeS