HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2004, 08:49 AM
Captain Carnage says......
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
Tiger Moth 400 Build and Maiden Flight review

before I report on the Maidens I definately want to go into the build review first

As is the same with the GWS product lines the build was pretty basic, insert the pushrod guide tubes, set up the wing mounting nut and plate and glue it into place. I then made sure that the battery bay would allow me to slip in all types of batteries from HECells to TP 2100 3s LiPo's. Then glue the two fuse halves together....next the motor mount stick ( I do not put the motor on it as suggested but wait until later to slide it on and fasten it)

Next... the aileron thing with the supplied torque rods and set those up....installed the spar rod... here I made a small upgrade...the kit provides a Fiberglass rod to use as a spar...not a Bamboo stick (way to go GWS) but I have plenty of carbon fiber tube laying about the shop so I tested the flexibility of the carbon against the Fiberglass and found that I had a pieces of CF a little more sturdy than the F/G, so CF was used instead, but after flying the plane I can say the F/G is more than ample enough.

Next I installed the main wing per directions with the plastic pin sets and checked it for symetry to the fuselage. It was then ...on to the Tailefeather control surfaces elevator first, then rudder. As always the part that concerns me the most with the steerable tailwheel assembly (since a few harder landings with the 51 and E-Starter) is the litlle black mount, that breaks right at the eyelet on harder landings. I beefed this area up with a method I have used on several planes that is pretty much bullet proof

Next per the directions I installed the tail feather on the plane and assured the line up and symetry with the use of "T" pins and then glued with Foam safe CA glue.
Then glued on the strut mounts and cabanes to the main wings with 5 minute epoxy (after scuffing the surfaces of the plastic with some 100 sanpaper). Cut out the Cowl ports and installed the motor, Cowl and Wing struts with the provided screws.

Landing gear mount was installed next and here I made another "beef-up" for strength....Knowing our flying field, the winds and the Tarmac, as well as the incidences of landing gear failure of this type ( same as the 109 - E-starter- Spitfire ) I looked for the mount to be breaking out sooner or later on one of my more infamous hard touch and sometimes go's ...lol noticing that in this case there was even less foam than on the Spitty or E-Starter I installed a small piece of 1/64 lite ply just large enough to lay in the cooling duct just above the main gear mount. It is full width of the duct and almost full length (about 1/4" short at the front motor area and about 1/4" from the wing saddle area) and glued it in place with the provided GWS contact cement....it may not stop the mount from breaking out in a crash but at least there will be something to glue it back to...lol)

I then opted to change out the provided wheels for Maxx product indoor lite wheels and a sullivan tailwheel for a slight more scale look.
and of course for the technically minded....I installed the gear and servos

Stock EPS 400c- C gear with 10x6 hyperdrive prop (stock motor and set up provided)
3- GWS pico BB servos for control surfaces
1-GWS Pico R-4 RX (on channel 23 if you must know this too... lol) with a Base loaded antenna made by Ezones and the Seminole Crash Fests very own GLewis no glitches again Glenn ...I need to buy about 5 more from ya
1 - GWS 15 amp speed control with heatsink

After all was said and done I then stripped her down to bare bones and sanded and painted her like her little sister (see my Sea Moth thread) and finished the paint this past week in the evenings after work.

so here is the pic of her at the field this morning prior to the maidens

Well GWS has done it again with the Tiger Moth 400 Kit, I have just come in from the maiden flights; 2-14-04 7:30 to 8:30 am (yeah I know its Valentines day...but Mrs B. is at work)
My love of these GWS planes is well known, despite my sometime harder critiques of some of the assembly parts (mainly landing gear assemblies).
Having two TM slowflyers there was no way I was going to give up on the chance to get the Speed 400 with ailerons as soon as I could, and I did two weekends ago.
I built and posted an all yellow build last weekend in the Orlando Ezone Thread (page 28) of the Club talks Club Talks forum last weekend, just to make Carlos (aka Guapoman .....sheesh.... esto es uno hombre moy feo, pero esto es no mi problemo LOLOLOL yo Juego con tu Carlos mi compadre) jealous and was prompted to do so buy his fellow flyers...but I'm not saying who put me up to it.

the weather the last two weekends has been implorable, but this morning with the winds down around 10mph I decided its now or never.....I love to fly and it's V-Day...so I'm going to enjoy my love

1st flight stock motor - 3s TP2100 Lipo ...CG at 10mm recommended aft point (every one knows I like the plane tail heavier)
powered up and she was off the ground in less than 10 feet...2 clicks of down and she trimmed out perfectly... climbed to alt (about 50 feet or so and put her through her paces)

loops were from level at half throttle and easily achieived,, hammerheads were clean and precise...rolls were not too axial but were very pretty. barrel rolls were perfect
and inverted was a breeze with only the throttle to control attitude...hands off elevator ....FINALLY A MOTH THAT IS CAPABLE OF SUSTAINED INVERTED WITH NO ALTITUDE LOSS...ooops sorry for shouting....
All in all a great maiden flight, completed three touch and goes into the 10 mph winds and they were flawless, up wind landings were with power off and the plane show no sign of tipstalling, down wind landings were long and needed just enough power to stay ahead of the breeze but were also very elegant and controlled. Flew for 20 minutes pack came out slightly warm and took 995 mah on recharge so i would say that this is a good duration set up.

2nd Flight- 8 HECell pack--- a little less power but pretty much the same as above, a little more nose heavier CG.. was about 5mm recommended range...nose drops on engine cut off a little but can be trimmed back level flight was 20 miutes and I started to notice some power loss at about 15 minutes in.

3rd flight on GWS * cell 730 pack- CG back at 10mm and not much power loss at all when compared to the HE pack pack was drained in 15 minutes and was very warm but not hot

With both the HE and GWS pack I had a little more difficulty flying in the wind...err excuse me ACR1346...Turbulence, but it was very capable of flying into and away from the wind

I must admit here and now that if anyone asks me about a good aileron trainer I will have to suggest the TM400 as a competitor as the plane was controllable with only rudder and elevator inputs.

Congrats Mr. Lin and GWS R&D.....another great plane / parkflyer

Chuck
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2004, 08:49 AM
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
another shot
Old Feb 14, 2004, 08:51 AM
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
tail wheel Beef Up

tail wheel from E-Starter but i do this on all planes with this wheel assembly
Old Feb 14, 2004, 09:44 AM
plane crazy
Northport, NY
Joined Dec 2002
2,196 Posts
Looking good chuck! How many GWS models is that for you now?? Mr Lin must be proud
av8rOC is offline Find More Posts by av8rOC
Old Feb 14, 2004, 10:18 AM
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
Thanks man

but no

beaver
Funny park
pt stearman
islander
or B-2 .....

......Yet

Chuck
Old Feb 14, 2004, 10:32 AM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
Chuck, If I still had my Funny Park I'd send it to you...I hated it, but you'd like it since its constantly tail heavy

All I have is the wing...and Im toying with making it a flying wing

Nice report!! This plane is going to be in my hangar by the end of this year, most definetly!
larsy87 is offline Find More Posts by larsy87
Old Feb 14, 2004, 10:33 AM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
And I just love the scheme...makes me think of that Red and White Winkle Bird biplane
larsy87 is offline Find More Posts by larsy87
Old Feb 14, 2004, 10:50 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Re: Tiger Moth 400 Build and Maiden Flight review

Quote:
Originally posted by AirWarriorBelgy
I built and posted an all yellow build last weekend in the Orlando Ezone Thread (page 28) of the Club talks Club Talks forum last weekend, just to make Carlos (aka Guapoman .....sheesh.... esto es uno hombre moy feo, pero esto es no mi problemo LOLOLOL yo Juego con tu Carlos mi compadre) jealous and was prompted to do so buy his fellow flyers...but I'm not saying who put me up to it.

Chuck
Tell Don from GRAVES R/C if he has found a better supplier and if so, to use his time more constructively and get us these models sooner than later!

Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Feb 14, 2004, 10:51 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Chuck,

I really like your thread and those modfications you have done!

Thanks very much!
Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Feb 14, 2004, 11:04 AM
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
lol Carlos

Thanks man

...when I saw it for sale in the for sale forum from GMRC I had to have it.

Don said you'd be upset about not getting it earlier than most folks and that I should post the pics.

one of these days we'll have to get over to the east coast for a Central Florida Ezoners fun fly betcha we had about 100 guys there.

bet you didn't know ...yo hablo espanol.......y...yo hablo aleman....
mi esposa es aleman

Chuck
Old Feb 14, 2004, 11:17 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,343 Posts
I have video of My Tigermoth400 on my website now

http://www.sdparkflyers.com
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
Old Feb 14, 2004, 11:48 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Howdy Chuck, outstanding work as usual.

Glad to hear it flys as great as it looks.

Looking forward to seeing it in person.

Wayne
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Feb 14, 2004, 12:12 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Way to go Chuck! Thanks for the heads up build thread! I'm sure I NEED this one so am sure it will show up in my next few builds! Great review!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Feb 14, 2004, 12:18 PM
jollyroger
Central Lake, Mi.
Joined Nov 2002
1,025 Posts
TM 400

Well now you've gone and dunit. Now I have to buy one.
Ionly have 4 GWS plane: TM, SS(2), Beaver on floats. Looks like I'll be adding another one soon.
Beautiful job. I had heard that the 400 motor /gearbox setup was not working properly, but it sounds as if it works fine. Nice subject for brushless conversion as a slope soar version (w/out motor) is available.
keep up the good work. John Z::
John Z is offline Find More Posts by John Z
Old Feb 14, 2004, 01:14 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,477 Posts
Chuck
Ella esta muy linda.

Bien hecho.

Chuck
Chuck is online now Find More Posts by Chuck