HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Bud Morrison, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 11:55 PM
Burner!!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined Jun 2005
1,054 Posts
Here are my favorite 1/2A engines. The CS will turn a 4X2.5 at 35K RPM. It sounds like the worlds most ticked-off bumblebee when doing so.
The other is a cox medalion R/C. I have never seen another like it. If the casing on the exhaust manifold did not have COX cast into it I would suspect it is a mod such as the old tatone carb for the Teedee.
PlaneCrazee is offline Find More Posts by PlaneCrazee
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2005, 01:02 AM
booze is my co-pilot
Joined Dec 2004
200 Posts
Hey does your cox TD throttle linkage have a habit of popping off the fuel line ataches to the carb?( i dont know the exact name of the part, Its where the black bit joins the fuel nipple). My uncle gave me one and i eventually had to solder it on because it would keep falling off.

Alex
ALEX DOUGHTY is offline Find More Posts by ALEX DOUGHTY
Old Aug 23, 2005, 06:10 PM
Burner!!
Joined Jun 2005
1,054 Posts
DOUGHTY: not so far, it may have been soldered already. It is firmly attached.
Old Sep 03, 2005, 02:21 PM
can you land on that ?
Scottish Highlands
Joined Jan 2005
3,223 Posts
An RBC Kits "Microbe" de-electricfied with Norvel/AP .061 and GeeBee-ed. Rudder,elevator,ailerons throttle. Havent weighed it but goes like.....em, a GeeBee (and fully aerobatic.) Covering sagging a bit in the heat of the sun,needs a couple more wing-ribs.
arrow5 is offline Find More Posts by arrow5
Last edited by arrow5; Sep 03, 2005 at 02:26 PM.
Old Sep 03, 2005, 05:21 PM
1/2a Flyer!
Russell, PA
Joined Sep 2003
41 Posts
"
The other is a cox medalion R/C. I have never seen another like it. If the casing on the exhaust manifold did not have COX cast into it I would suspect it is a mod such as the old tatone carb for the Teedee QUOTE

"

Your throttle is indeed a Cox aftermarket part, old Cox part # 2450. It was priced at $3.98 NOS in the mid sixtys.

Your needle is a replacement from a sure start , and it works. It can somtimes damage the threads of the spraybar from the size being a tad smaller in the threads. I have never had the throttle, I think I have unused spray bar and needle though. Is it flat in the center, with a small hole all the way through both sides of the flat center? When installed it rotates, so am sure it is for the throttle unit.

The Medallion is one of Cox's best, classic motors. I use them instead of the TD.

Remby
Remby is offline Find More Posts by Remby
Old Sep 04, 2005, 04:30 AM
Burner!!
Joined Jun 2005
1,054 Posts
Thanks for the info Remby. I was hoping to here some info on it.
the throttle plate is indeed flat with a small bleed hole all the way through it. I also have an .09 Medalion with a throttle. It has been a upgrade for most 1/2A's I have had in the past. Cox is having a close out special price on the cylinder kits for it so I picked up a few. If you have one you ought to check it out before there gone. They seem to be stopping production on all of the old rotory valve engines.(
Old Sep 04, 2005, 09:59 AM
1/2a Flyer!
Russell, PA
Joined Sep 2003
41 Posts
No trouble on the info. The throttle was reviewed in the 1966 ,June issue of MAN. I have this, as well as the needle & spaybar for the throttle assembly.

In the magazine it gives data on the throttle, comparing it to a non throttled engine. I would think a hotter cylinder setup (TD) would really push its power up, with this throttle this engine was one of the first RC throttle 1/2a .049 engines.

It looks like Cox may be setting up for welcome activity, so hope they will keep or reissue their engines. I think at this time they are at a changover point from Estes, to a Cox only company again. Time will tell, and hope to see them come back.

If your interested in the parts for the throttle & the book let me know, we can work somthing out. If you use the engine its good to have a spare, hard to find set of parts.

Remby
Remby is offline Find More Posts by Remby
Old Sep 08, 2005, 09:35 AM
can you land on that ?
Scottish Highlands
Joined Jan 2005
3,223 Posts
Any Wen-Mac engine users ? I need info on induction system, ie is there a "flutter valve/reed valve" in the tank part that plugs into the crankcase ? Any help welcome.
Last edited by arrow5; Sep 08, 2005 at 01:04 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 09:06 AM
Team Me!
AB, Canada
Joined Mar 2005
3,161 Posts
there any plans for that gee bee or was it a kit?
P-38J-Lightning is offline Find More Posts by P-38J-Lightning
Old Sep 21, 2005, 10:27 PM
Joined Jun 2005
69 Posts
my own made

keep looking
mstarFly is offline Find More Posts by mstarFly
Old Sep 25, 2005, 07:24 AM
Flying is FUN
Joined Apr 2005
153 Posts
1/2a victory

This is my 1/2 a fun victory lol not the same motor in it now running a cox Golden bee .051 now looks like a trainer but that plane can move lol drop the wing lift down to nothing and its like flying a plylon racer

my new 1/2a stealth sport is a lot of fun
layback2 is offline Find More Posts by layback2
Last edited by layback2; Nov 12, 2007 at 10:35 PM. Reason: adding a pic
Old Oct 03, 2005, 03:29 PM
can you land on that ?
Scottish Highlands
Joined Jan 2005
3,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-38J-Lightning
there any plans for that gee bee or was it a kit?
The GeeBee-ish model is a simple conversion from the RBC Kits "Microbe" ,a sort-of mini Lazy Bee parkflyer with rather silly looking open cockpit. Intended for electric (Typhoon 6, 7or8 cells). Nicely pre-cut Graupner balsa etc,in fact a lot of nice designs in their range www.rbckits.com.... Goes like stink with the Norvel,fully aerobatic too. PM me if you want more details.
Last edited by arrow5; Oct 04, 2005 at 01:27 AM.
Old Oct 03, 2005, 03:55 PM
can you land on that ?
Scottish Highlands
Joined Jan 2005
3,223 Posts
Which leads us into something completely different. A free plan in one of the UK magazines of a French (?) light plane (for electric power), converted to ailerons, elevator and Norvel 061. Plan showed rudders and elevator. Cant remember name but is something like HB45, I`ll post it when I find the magazine (annual workshop clean-up imminent, she says !) Covered in Litespan. Sedate calm evening cruiser.
Old Oct 06, 2005, 10:36 AM
(madkev :) )
United Kingdom, England, Stafford
Joined Dec 2002
402 Posts
Miss behaving cox conversion

hi

this is my first stick model and i have to say i enjoyed the build a great deal

miss behavin was a free plan in one of the mags about 2 years ago,designed by mike white for a geared speed 400 motor, i liked the look of the model so when i purchased a couple of cox .049 engines in the sale a while back i started to think

a quick bit of research led me to think that the cox would just have enough power for this 24oz model so it was on with the build

the only alteration i made from the plan waqs to move the front former forward 32mm and reduce its depth

apart from a bit of epoxy on the dihedral brace construction was completely with CA, red and cream solite went on very nicely and when i get some more white stripes i will finish the piping

i've made a small muffler for the cox and it works a treat

the take off across the grass was started with a little push as the cox only just has enough power, after 50 feet she was airbourne

she's a beaut flies like dream a great design nice one Mike, when the cox finaly cut (2 oz tank) she floated in at a very slow speed with a shallow glide angle and allmost landed herself

atb

kev
kdwzagi is offline Find More Posts by kdwzagi
Old Oct 11, 2005, 07:47 PM
Joined Oct 2005
2 Posts
Was that the plan in RCM&E?

The reason I ask is I am in the process of building a very similar free Plan.
Gardell is offline Find More Posts by Gardell