Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Bud Morrison, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 03, 2012, 01:14 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,272 Posts
Few more, Half of them I don't even know the name of. Some are .10 and .15 but most are .049.
aspeed is online now Find More Posts by aspeed
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2012, 07:33 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee Bee View Post
It's a Minnie Mambo built from an Early RC kit. Powered by Cox Surestart .049 with a Cox International intake throttle, type "B" glow plug head conversion, and no-drag starter spring. Swapped the hex-shaped prop driver out for a Babe Bee style unit to allow the spring to fit. The plane is covered with Cream Ultracote and Blue Mist and Black Monokote. Radio gear is a Futaba 2.4rx, HK 939MG servos on the rudder and elevator, and Futaba S3111 on the throttle. Uses a 400mah NiMH battery pack from Radical RC. She rolls on inflatable Trexler balloon tires and has a steerable tailwheel. Should be fun to taxi out to the runway, shoot touch-n-goes, and taxi back like the "big" boys.

Finished the assembly and test ran the engine this evening. Did some preliminary taxi testing in the street after getting a good idle established on the reedie .049.

Maiden soon!

Wohhh! that´s heavy, in my city that is imposible to fly (2500mts over sea level), anyway your Minnie will fly well, you really know about 1/2A!
colibriguitars is offline Find More Posts by colibriguitars
Old May 04, 2012, 09:52 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed View Post
Few more, Half of them I don't even know the name of. Some are .10 and .15 but most are .049.
That FAI puppy look nice
What kind of 2.5cc in it? And how fast
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old May 04, 2012, 10:08 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,710 Posts
for the record... In my little Lastick with the .049 cox?
the battery for the radio and servos is little four cell nicad pack made for a 1/64 (24?) scale RC car.

I cant recall the numbers off the top of my head and I would have to break the little thing open to check it out.. but if anyone cares, I will.
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old May 05, 2012, 10:11 AM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,355 Posts
Hey, Aspeed, I have one of those little Kom Bats like your orange one too. My son gave me a pair for Christmas and I built it a couple of weeks ago. I can't get it to balance with this Medallion, it likes to tail dance when I pull it out of the stooge. I think a nice heavy Black Widow will straighten it out though. Your leadout guide is farther rearward than mine. I might try that if it still acts like a dancing duck.
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Last edited by RknRusty; May 05, 2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old May 05, 2012, 03:47 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,272 Posts
If it dances around the leadouts may be back too far or too tail heavy. I wasn't happy with this one either. I think a Tee Dee or Norvel with the tank adapter might be better. I made two. A friend give me them and I built them and flew one, and wasn't really happy with it. He asked for one plane back and couldn't get the other OK Cub to even run. It was kind of fun to build them, but not that great to fly. My FAI speed plane went about 140 mph with a piped ABC Rossi ABC. I had two that went 140, then I put on a single blade prop after screwing around for two years with two bladed props. It went so fast I couldn't run that fast anymore and busted it. I am sure it went over 150, but crashed and I only got about half the flight in, so didn't get a time on that one. They were both doing 140 mph though. That was about 1979. Later they went to 60 ft. lines from 52's. I could have likely kept up then, but stopped the FAI thing. Now the motors are better and you still have to run faster, so I likely couldn't keep up with them now either. (unless I didn't go fast of course. I am a bit older now too) I would like to fly one again but it is 4 hours to a paved circle. I still have my old A Speed around still from when I was about 16 years old, it is the A'Orta one in the picture. I don't know if the centrifugal fuel switch would be any good after this many years. I got a half A profile proto and a half A proto still that I had the record at the time. I think it was 78 mph with a Tee Dee and monoline. (Senior Canadian record) 82 for the half A speed record. There isn't a half A proto class anymore.
Last edited by aspeed; May 05, 2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old May 05, 2012, 07:28 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,355 Posts
Aspeed, I can not imagine flying a plane that fast. I fly my regular planes, Jumpin Bean, Li'l Satan, and so forth, on 35' lines and people tell me to lengthen the lines to slow down. I say No, I like the speed. But you have me seriously out classed in that sport.
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Old May 05, 2012, 09:25 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,272 Posts
I think it was around 14 seconds for 10 laps, so 1 and a half seconds a lap. It only takes 20 laps and it is over pretty quickly. It isn't a problem really until you try and get in the pylon that you have to use. The planes are set up to groove pretty good. The FAI combat planes are more difficult to fly agressively IMHO. Pylon planes amaze me for flying ability. The control line speed planes are over 200 mph now. Only a few people can do it now as the guys are getting older. The lines are longer and only 9 laps are timed but they are going around pretty quick as can be seen on some of the videos.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 10:30 PM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,464 Posts
hey teebee ever heard of this website????

http://www.fmkmodels.com/
cale10 is offline Find More Posts by cale10
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:46 PM
Joined Jan 2008
538 Posts
I haven't traded with them but they have some neat looking kits listed. Might have to give them a try. Especially like the .010 Buzz Bipe and the .020 Delta.
Tee Bee is offline Find More Posts by Tee Bee
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:25 PM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,464 Posts
yeah i like the delta. BTW and good sportster kits for a .020?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:41 AM
Joined Jan 2008
538 Posts
Looks like everything is out of stock. Hmmm.
Tee Bee is offline Find More Posts by Tee Bee
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:30 AM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,464 Posts
anyone know where i can get a .020 peewee barrel throttle?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:42 AM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,464 Posts
also another question, if i put a pee wee 020 on a dollar tree foam board plane... will the exaust make the paper on top wrinkle or make the foam underneath melt????
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:55 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cale10 View Post
anyone know where i can get a .020 peewee barrel throttle?
http://www.selecthobbies.com/rdmringdata.htm
Glow fuel doesn't affect most foams but the oil makes a mess
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan