SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Bud Morrison, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 29, 2011, 11:17 AM
Slow 'n Steady...Grease 'r In
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
Woo, that looks fast! I don't recoginze the plane; is it your own design, from plans, or from a kit? Also, do you know how thick the largest part of the chord is?

Thanks,
KP
kpriddle is offline Find More Posts by kpriddle
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2011, 11:52 PM
Joined Dec 2010
10 Posts
Hi the wingspan is 38" root 7 1/2" tip 3 1/2" its from a semi kit fiber glass fuz foam cores. it was a racing plane from a time when we used to race it was a popular racing class we all used the same size engine an OS CZ 11 that was a real screamer OS stopped making the motor the class died out i reckon one of the 12 size buggy motors would be the way to go now. there is some one in South Australia making the fuz and foam cores

stu
stu62 is offline Find More Posts by stu62
Old Jun 01, 2011, 07:10 PM
Slow 'n Steady...Grease 'r In
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
Thanks for the information. Do you think that you would ever be able to get a video? If not, that's fine, but a video would be a treat!

If you happen to stumble upon the site sometime, please post a link for us.

Thanks,
KP
kpriddle is offline Find More Posts by kpriddle
Old Jun 16, 2011, 05:32 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
What is this plane?

Hi Gang
I just started putting my new Great Planes Seawind Seaplane together, my first RC Electric, and it surprised me how small it was. I remembered a small !/2 A plane that I put together long ago as a 2 channel RC plane to use up some old Control line engines.
This plane had no Throttle and was very quick and difficult to get running reliably. The lack of throttle control made it such a handful that I put it away and used the 2 channel radio in a sailboat. Still have that.

This !/2 A plane looks like a great candidate for a 4 channel electric makeover. With no motor/battery/ electronics it only weighs 12 OZ. I guess if I knew some more about this kit, it might help me choose a proper electric conversion setup.

I'd also like to know the details of that Cox 1/2A engine. As I recall it was hopped up some from what most of our basic Cox control line motors looked like.

Thanks for any info you fine folks can give me.

John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Last edited by jgestner; Jun 16, 2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 07:12 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Hi all
I guess after a little more research, I answered my own question on the unknown plane. It is the Sig Hummer and apparently is currently still available.

I still need some help in the Electro conversion and I still wonder what that particular Cox engine was and how it reviewed. I might guess that it was much more finnicky on fuel mixture freshness/ nitro quantity than most others.

I wanted it to work so much to save the investment in control line engines, and get then to work in the new RC world, but it didn't happen for me. Was it the engine, the dream of 2 channel control but not throttle, or something else?

Any way, take look at a Sig Hummer and see if it meets some electro power possibilities.

John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Jun 16, 2011, 07:33 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
The engine is a Cox TD .051 and is a perfect match for the Sig Hummer. It was an excellent engine in its days in free flight competition because it allowed to fly the same plane in 1/2A and A class by just switching it for its .049 brother. It has been discontinued for many years and there is now much better engines for these events. The Hummer was usable in 1/2A pylon racing for awhile (with .049 TD)but is also outclassed now as racing plane, but still a good sport plane. Converting to electric might be better answered in this forum which deal with that kind of issues:
http://www.rcgroups.com/glow-to-elec...nversions-247/
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Jun 18, 2011, 09:52 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,363 Posts
Went flying today with a friend, my wife was our ground crew. We got to fly each plane once as wind and thunder clouds encroached. My friend's wife got a couple of pictures of us rushing to beat the storm.

Fueling up the Li'l Jumpin Bean

"The Crew," My wife, me and my friend Kam, making our getaway before getting hammered by a thunder storm. Notice my friend's plane is in... well... pieces. Haha. Just rubber bands though. It's my son's PT-19. He got a couple of good laps in before slamming it into the ground. He did good considering he hasn't flown a plane since he was a teenager. I was hoping his wife caught a pic of the parts exploding on impact.

EDIT: after looking at it this morning, I should have titled it, The Right Stuff
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Last edited by RknRusty; Jun 19, 2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 06:19 AM
Joined Oct 2007
6 Posts
1/a pacer

Pacer picture
angelair is offline Find More Posts by angelair
Old Jun 19, 2011, 06:22 AM
Joined Oct 2007
6 Posts
This Pacer is more than 3o years bur is still in fly
angelair is offline Find More Posts by angelair
Old Jul 29, 2011, 05:47 PM
Joined May 2010
1,363 Posts
I Learned how to pretty up my videos and did some pretty fun flying last weekend. Here are the links in my blog:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post18899902
Old Jul 29, 2011, 09:27 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Jul 2006
577 Posts
I miss my Ace Pacer.
GliderJim is online now Find More Posts by GliderJim
Old Jul 30, 2011, 12:50 AM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GliderJim View Post
I miss my Ace Pacer.
Time to make a new one
http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/pacer_cadplans.pdf
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Jul 31, 2011, 09:22 PM
Joined May 2010
1,363 Posts
After I finished flying my Jumpin' Bean and the old Stuntman23(Green Death) last weekend, I asked my two helpers, 8 or so and 13, who can be seen in the video of my previous post, if they wanted to try to fly. They did, and they did. We left the field with a broken outboard wing, but happy kids who fearlessly tried their best. I got around to gluing it this week, and it still looked like this:
Name: 213sm.jpg
Views: 84
Size: 222.0 KB
Description: Ol' Green Death

So I decided it was time for a makeover. I figured some Ultracote stripes would strengthen the wing. But I couldn't do that without giving it a nice background, now could I? I sprayed on some fresh white paint and then it looked like this, nice and clean:
Name: Stuntman23_a.jpg
Views: 78
Size: 122.2 KB
Description:

But I can't stop when it looks nice. I had a bottle of Testors gold paint left over from when I built it back in 1990 something, and I got carried away, and now it looks like it should be cruising for chicks on Friday night. Not so sure it isn't tacky. What do you think?
Name: Stuntman23_c.jpg
Views: 99
Size: 98.2 KB
Description:
Last edited by RknRusty; Jul 31, 2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:32 AM
United States, CA, Mariposa
Joined May 2011
236 Posts
I remember wanting one of these so badly to go with the Pee Wee .020 I had, but for some reason, I can't recall if we ever had one. Seems like we did... So now I have to find another PW! I know Select Hobbies has them, but the original had a red tank, so it wouldn't be quite the same. I do have a Tee Dee .010 & .020, but ditto... I guess I will have to get one from Select then find a red tank or anodize it red.
CZ10 is offline Find More Posts by CZ10
Last edited by CZ10; Aug 16, 2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 12:19 PM
Joined May 2010
1,363 Posts
Wow, never seen one like that. It looks like wild fun right out of the box!