HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Bud Morrison, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 08:46 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Jul 2006
577 Posts
1/2a Mustang

Here's a little control line Mustang I scratch built a couple of years ago. Very similar to the many Dick Sarpolus 1/2a designs. Engine is a Brodak MK II.
GliderJim is offline Find More Posts by GliderJim
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2010, 02:50 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,682 Posts
Cox Sky Rally Ultralight Pre & Post Electric Conversion Photos

I recently converted my Cox .049 Powered Sky Rally Ultralight to an electric powered brushless outrunner motor. Here's a few photos prior to the conversion and a few flying shots this week with the brushless motor.

Best,
Tony
xplaneguy is online now Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:39 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,677 Posts
wow, you really dont see many of thows anymore! But I still have to shame you for pulling the 049 off!!!
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Old Jan 02, 2011, 06:03 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
I just browsed this/these threads all day here in the beer mines on my phone... it was a big hurry up and wait day, and Im happy to see quite a few La Sticks in here. I started building one a few years ago, and never really finished it. I origianly started it as an electric build, but I over estimated when I ordered a power plant for it.. I think what I have is more of a .15 replacement than a .049.
the 3 cell lipo that came with it all doesn't even fit in the fuse!.

anyways. over Christmas I received two kits from my father, a lanier shrike .15, an engine to go with it, and a guillows Cessna 172. the 802 kit, so it's pretty big for what it is. I think i'm going to put the cessna on the board first as my thumbs just aint ready for the shrike yet.

I have a vintage Cox golden bee I recently restored so it needs a home. any good advice on throttling it? or should I just leave it stock for the Cessna build..

or alternatively... fit the bee to the Lastick and run as is...

decisions, decisions...
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Jan 02, 2011, 07:23 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Trottle for Cox Babe Bee

The old Ace type exhaust trottle ring is the best for Cox engines, its available now from Cox international:
http://coxengines.ca/product.php?pro...&cat=13&page=2
But having trottle is not really necessary for 1/2A and only add extra weight.
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Jan 02, 2011, 08:40 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
dig it! thanks for the link and opinion. I knew a slip ring over the exhaust was a good throttle method, just didn't know where to find them. thing is.. I would hate to muss up a proper vintage engine with extra stuff, so I'm definitely leaning towards finishing up the Lastick with it as is.
just cant leave that little guy bolted to a 2x2 block to be run out in a vice every once in a while.. it must fly again!

though I will say that there is nothing nicer than freeing up a engine and running it for the first time after 30 years of being idle. these little guys are champs.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 12:12 AM
Joined Jan 2008
538 Posts
The new intake throttles seem to be working out well. I haven't flown one yet but have done a couple of test runs on my stand. Cox International sells them as well as well as the exhaust ring throttles. Very neat little design. I guess if you want to keep the mounted tank setup, the exhaust throttle is the only option.

As for the LaStick, the .049 is a LOT of engine! I've run a TD .010 on mine and switched it over to a TD .020 back in the summer. With the .010, it's a nice sporty flier. With the TD .020, it's very fast and has spirited handling suitable for someone who's comfortable on the sticks. I'd like to see one fly with an .049 but I'm not gonna do it.

Good luck and keep us posted on the projects.
Tee Bee is offline Find More Posts by Tee Bee
Old Jan 04, 2011, 04:23 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
thanks for the advice on that. the Golden Bee is pretty much the only 1/2A, besides two 0.15's, and I understand that's pushing the class limit.

The Bee was my fathers engine when when he was doing the control line combat years ago. I swear the thing is older than I am! but I hooked up with the nice folks at xenalook and got a new set of gaskets, defuzzed and degunked it and fired it up on the test stand for the first time in probably 25 years with the original glow head. only took three swipes with the chicken stick and she fired right up! I think the last time that engine was used for anything was as a power pod for a glider my brother was working on. he nosed it in on maiden after having the elevator servo reversed. no damage, but he seemed to just immediately lost heart after that

I get now that it's a pretty hot little engine, so I'll probably tone it down. until I get my flying thumbs back
Old Jan 04, 2011, 11:52 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Cox Golden Bee

They first came out in 1962:
http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/cox_frameset.htm
The oldest had the curved front end, like all Cox .049/.020 reed valve of the period.
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Jan 05, 2011, 12:18 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
yep, mines the last one. I assume it came out sometime in the mid 70's because this things has always been around, following me like a ghost!
Old Jan 09, 2011, 01:10 PM
Wellington New Zealand
Joined Nov 2010
30 Posts
Guillows 28 inch Spitfire

Desert pink, & bear roundels...flown by my 8 and 11 year old daughters
strasbourge is offline Find More Posts by strasbourge
Old Jan 09, 2011, 01:14 PM
Wellington New Zealand
Joined Nov 2010
30 Posts
Triple Cox engine Spitfire

Same Guillows model as last post. Holiday project of new 35 inch wing with 2 more engines!
strasbourge is offline Find More Posts by strasbourge
Old Jan 12, 2011, 08:32 PM
Slow 'n Steady...Grease 'r In
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
May I ask what the two wires that exit the fuselage under the exhaust pipes are for?

Thanks,
KP
kpriddle is offline Find More Posts by kpriddle
Old Jan 12, 2011, 08:40 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
perhaps loops for routing control lines?
Old Jan 12, 2011, 08:44 PM
Slow 'n Steady...Grease 'r In
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
Oh! I only asked because they appear to be running rearward. Of course, they're not, though. Sorry!

KP
kpriddle is offline Find More Posts by kpriddle