HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Bud Morrison, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 02, 2009, 10:11 AM
windy Wisconsin
Joined Feb 2009
124 Posts
Another DNU from Ulmer plans

When you can't fly,because of bad weather, build!! This DNU was born during a week of wind and rain.

dked41
dked41 is offline Find More Posts by dked41
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2009, 06:11 PM
Slow 'n Steady...Grease 'r In
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
Is that about 21" per the plans? It looks a bit larger to me. Maybe it's just me, though .!

KP
kpriddle is offline Find More Posts by kpriddle
Old Jun 03, 2009, 12:53 AM
windy Wisconsin
Joined Feb 2009
124 Posts
The fuse is 21" , but overall prop to end of tail is 26"' span is 30" as per plan.

dked41
dked41 is offline Find More Posts by dked41
Old Jun 06, 2009, 07:24 PM
Flying is an addiction
NE Georgia
Joined Aug 2008
347 Posts
Herr P51 with OS LA 15 all micro servos.

thing flies like a much bigger plane. right now it has a 6oz tank in the nose (all I had when I swapped it to fuel today).

not as over powered as I expected but that could be the 8x3, even in a steep climb it doesn't drop any rpm.

*June 9 early AM I misjudged my distance and crashed it into a or more like through an oak tree she was hung about 40 feet up and I had to go to go to bed, work night shift.

*June 10 realized it didn't hit anything in the tree and wasn't damaged, the left gear caught a very small limb, spun it around and held it there. after going and buying enough pvc pipe to reach it and knocking a 3x3 hole in the bottom of the wing I broke out the 22 mag bolt action and after pulling the first shot giving her "character" through the left wing which will be patched with clear, I managed to hit the wheel collar and she fell like a brick about 5 feet into a much smaller and softer tree, 20 minutes later she's back at home charging, waiting on a new left gear leg and tire, the VERY minor balsa damage to the radiator scoop (done by me) has been repaired and only need the servos tested/ reinstalled and some minor covering repair

words can not describe how happy I am I was able to retrieve this bird in the shape it's in, she has to be one of my favorite planes, flies so sweet.
commrad is offline Find More Posts by commrad
Last edited by commrad; Jul 15, 2009 at 03:44 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 09:40 AM
HAWK3Y3
United States, VA, Hopewell
Joined Jun 2002
261 Posts
Eflite Taylorcraft W/os 10 La

Finally got to fly my latest adventure. Used a new OS 10 LA on an Eflite Taylorcaft. Using a 8x4 prop. Definately not overpowered, but makes a great Sunday flyer.

CG was right on with the proper placement of the battery. Using a 4 oz tank from a long departed Simple Series Ultimate. Engine is well hidden under the cowl and with the use of a remote glow plug, appearance has been kept clean. Using a Pitts style muffler from Bisson. It does not produce enough pressure so fuel is syphoned by the carb, but it works.

I reinforced the aircraft's front end with additional wood before glueing on the new firewall. A hole in the main firewall allows access to the fuel tank. The engine is mounted to a secondary firewall that is then bolted to the main firewall. Works very well.

Had a hard landing on the last flight of the day. The plywood used for the servo tray is very brittle and the battery came loose. Working on a cure. The power off glide is steep, but with about 1/4 throttle, it is beautiful on approach. Touch and goes are comfortable, stable, and a true pleasure to perform. The tail is a little lighter than I would like but ground handling is nice with the use of up elevator.

*** October 5, 2009 ***

Had quite a few beautiful flights. The foam tires were well on thier way to needing replacement. The winds picked up and instead of switching to a larger aircraft, I thought I would do a few more touch and goes. On the downwind after departure, a gust of wind hit the plane and caused a stall. As the plane was under powered, I was not able to pull out. I was able to land flat in the grass. Damage includes the seperation of the landing gear, and the main spar on the right wing panel is broken. Repairable. Looking at changing the motor to a GP .15 for a little more power.
HAWK3Y3 is offline Find More Posts by HAWK3Y3
Last edited by HAWK3Y3; Oct 04, 2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 09:46 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,644 Posts
I've been waiting for someone to do that! But I daught a .10 will be enough. LOVE the pitts, though!
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:20 AM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWK3Y3
Finally got to fly my latest adventure. Used a new OS 10 LA on an Eflite Taylorcaft. Using a 8x4 prop. Definately not overpowered, but makes a great Sunday flyer.
HAWK3Y3,

Excellent job! That's one of the cleanest engine installations I've yet seen, with these small e-power ARF conversions. Well done, man.

I have the Piper PA-12 Super Cruiser, from Pilot-1, converted to .15 power. Was able to hide most of the engine, but the stock muffler sticks out. It is a wonderful flyer, and looks very scale in the air. Wet power is SO much better for this airplane. Love the noise, the trail of smoke, and the putt-putt down final.
dgliderguy is offline Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:32 AM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,684 Posts
HAWK3Y3

With all the wiredo's out there you may want to edit your photo with your name/phone number to remove them from the picture.

I like your conversion and have thought about it with a TT .15. How does it do on aerobatics? Scale like?

If you plug one of the exhaust tubes you'll increase your backpressure. I've seen that done on several Pitts type mufflers.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer
Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:56 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,644 Posts
I've flown an E- taylorcraft and it flew very scale like and did scale aerobatics on the suggested low rates, but high rates it was a ball!

Im waiting to sink my teath into the new RV from E-flight!!! I have a .20FP that would be perfect!
Old Jul 22, 2009, 01:45 PM
HAWK3Y3
Joined Jun 2002
261 Posts
dgliderguy - I watched your conversion thread and enjoyed it. I had toyed with the idea of converting one myself.

hogflyer - Picture edited. It is a shame we have to worry about the other members of our society.

Mchone, Jake - I did not do any aerobatics. I was trying to get the feel of the aircraft. The airplane has enough power for some spirited flights, but I question the aerobatic abilities. Will take it out this weekend and see how she does. I have an OS 20FS that I had intended to put into the GP Super Sportster EP. I ended up using an OS .25FX. That was too much power and I kept ripping the tail off. Finally ended up nosing it in. Good thing the ground was wet and soft. I purchased another Super Sportster EP and will put the 20FS in it. The stock motor and gearbox weigh the same as the FS (9.3 oz).
Last edited by HAWK3Y3; Jul 22, 2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 09:12 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,644 Posts
I would put the FS on the TC, and the .10 on the SS.

I had that problem with my Mini Pulse. These little tails just arent strong enough, but they dont fly much faster than the E versions? BUt I had to take the counterballances off and uncover the bottom to add soem CF spars. That fixed the problem, but I kept stripping servos as well... even HS 56s! (but that probably becaue I fly like a bat out of hell )

If it flies well for you with the .10 on it than great! The TC isnt an aerobatic airplane anyway. It looks and probably sounds just fasntastic! Keep it up!
Old Jul 23, 2009, 03:21 PM
HAWK3Y3
Joined Jun 2002
261 Posts
Jake,

I was afraid to losing an aircraft to a servo failure. I tend to use a larger servo when I do an electric to glow conversion. For the tail surfaces, I use the GWS micro standard servos. I have not had a servo fail, knock on wood.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 04:15 PM
Flying is an addiction
NE Georgia
Joined Aug 2008
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWK3Y3
Jake,

I was afraid to losing an aircraft to a servo failure. I tend to use a larger servo when I do an electric to glow conversion. For the tail surfaces, I use the GWS micro standard servos. I have not had a servo fail, knock on wood.
I use the cheap hextronix from hobby city/king, I've lost 1 plane to servo failure and it was a $25 JR servo that was on the elevator. the only complaints I've had with the hex servos is noise and wire, they are a little loud (not that it matters with fuel) and wire length (some are nearly 12 inches some are less than 4 inches.
commrad is offline Find More Posts by commrad
Old Jul 24, 2009, 01:40 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,644 Posts
My second Mini Pulse was cursed. My first with the .25 was great, had HS-55's all around and a HS-50 for the throttle. After a few dozen flights I decided it was time to pull it apart and check the airframe, install a new (bigger) fuel tank and take the elevators counter ballances off so I could fly faster w/o worry. After it was all put back togather all I have was bad luck! Servos failurs, engine troubles, elevator failures and landing gear issiues, even tough all checked out fine when I put it back togather! I sold it and its a hanger queen for a guy who doesnt fly muc, but loves to collect RC planes.

I lost my Polaris to the 9g hobby city servos, but I flew the CRAP out of my E-Flight Edge 540BP with them and no problems. I dont think quality is the real issiue with the hobby-city servos, but quality control, as Ihave had lipos from them work fine, and some from the same package never work at all!

I always g big on the elevators, on every model sence I have lost 4 planes in 2 years from elevator issiues or servo failures. A Polaris, Mini Pulse, Slow Stick(s), and an Escapade!
Old Jul 24, 2009, 06:05 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
init4fun is offline Find More Posts by init4fun
Last edited by init4fun; Jul 27, 2009 at 01:08 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)