HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Bud Morrison, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 08:55 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,644 Posts
Now thats a good looking nobler!
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2009, 03:05 PM
Palo Alto, California, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,055 Posts
RocketBob,

I fly in Raynor Park near my house in Sunnyvale. The muffled diesel is very quiet and no one seems to mind. I still fly a bit of everything and diesel is still on my list.

Thanks,

Steve
mlbco is online now Find More Posts by mlbco
Old Feb 25, 2009, 07:46 PM
Slow 'n Steady...Grease 'r In
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
I know that this thread is for "pics", but do you happen to have a video. This plane is just a beauty! I LOVE it!

If you can't take a video do you think that you could tell me generally how fast she flies?

Thanks,
KP
kpriddle is offline Find More Posts by kpriddle
Old Feb 25, 2009, 11:56 PM
Palo Alto, California, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,055 Posts
KP,

I don't have a video yet, but if I do make one I'll post a YouTube link.

The model flies very well at slow speeds because of the highly cambered NACA 6409 airfoil. I can fly a very tight high-banked 360 just 1-2 feet off the ground without any fear of tip stalling. It's almost too easy to fly because the stall is predictable and very benign. The extra dihedral also makes the rudder quite effective and it handles gusty conditions well because it is so stable and controllable. You could easily fly this model with some old rudder-only equipment. I probably should have put some landing gear on it because it would be great for shooting touch and goes in the baseball diamond at the end of my field.

Thanks,

Steve
mlbco is online now Find More Posts by mlbco
Old Feb 26, 2009, 07:18 AM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,597 Posts
Steve -

It really is a beauty --- has the look of an old timer with the sleakness of a more modern design. Very nicely done.

andrew
Andrew0820 is online now Find More Posts by Andrew0820
Old Feb 26, 2009, 07:43 AM
Size Matters!
San Francisco Bay Area
Joined Dec 2002
2,654 Posts
Very Nicely done!
The engine cutout, spinner to fuse clearance, sleek fuselage, covering every detail looks great!
Bravo!

I may need to see this one in person Could bring video camera.
RocketRob is offline Find More Posts by RocketRob
Old Feb 26, 2009, 08:14 PM
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbco
KP,

I don't have a video yet, but if I do make one I'll post a YouTube link.

The model flies very well at slow speeds because of the highly cambered NACA 6409 airfoil. I can fly a very tight high-banked 360 just 1-2 feet off the ground without any fear of tip stalling. It's almost too easy to fly because the stall is predictable and very benign. The extra dihedral also makes the rudder quite effective and it handles gusty conditions well because it is so stable and controllable. You could easily fly this model with some old rudder-only equipment. I probably should have put some landing gear on it because it would be great for shooting touch and goes in the baseball diamond at the end of my field.

Thanks,

Steve
That's okay. I suppose that if you have it covered with Japanese tissue, she flies fairly slow. Is this a fair statement?

This plane is just so beautiful and when you add the flight characteristics, you make me quite envious . Thanks for posting!

KP
Old Feb 28, 2009, 09:56 PM
Flying is an addiction
NE Georgia
Joined Aug 2008
347 Posts
OS .15LA flies GREAT. electric had to go

(edited 7/18/09)
commrad is offline Find More Posts by commrad
Last edited by commrad; Jul 18, 2009 at 08:04 PM. Reason: revision
Old Mar 01, 2009, 08:32 AM
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
Very neat covering design! What size engine do you have in it?

KP
Old Mar 01, 2009, 03:20 PM
Flying is an addiction
NE Georgia
Joined Aug 2008
347 Posts
It has a 20-22L motor, KDA from hobby city. it's ready to fly now but it's snowing finished it before I went to bed and now I gota wait for the weather to cooperate.
Old Mar 01, 2009, 09:01 PM
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
Electric!!??

Glad to here that you've finished it. Maybe now you can start building the Super Chipmunk with one of those TT .07's. What do you think?

KP
Old Mar 01, 2009, 09:03 PM
Flying is an addiction
NE Georgia
Joined Aug 2008
347 Posts
prety sure the chippy is going to get the old baffle piston TT 15 not sure that the 07 is up to handling it lol not for spirited flight anyway. it would prop cruise of though but if I wanted to cruise i'ld break out my bike.
Old Mar 01, 2009, 09:05 PM
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
Well, then, do you think that the TT .15 will find its way in the Super Chipmunk? I'm excited to see your decision. Hope you go glow. Good luck, either way, though.

KP
Old Mar 01, 2009, 09:27 PM
Flying is an addiction
NE Georgia
Joined Aug 2008
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by commrad
prety sure the chippy is going to get the old baffle piston TT 15 not sure that the 07 is up to handling it lol not for spirited flight anyway. it would prop cruise of though but if I wanted to cruise i'ld break out my bike.
yeah that's what I said it's prob going to get the 15. the main deciding factor is going to be how much weight to balance. I'm thinking the 15 is going to be the best choice. but i have to wait it gets here and then find time to build it. since I have yet to see much info on that particular one I'll post a thread on it when it gets here. if it makes me mad enough i'll run the OS 40 fp with no muffler on it lol.
Old Mar 02, 2009, 07:21 AM
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
I would say that the OS 40 would get it cruising, but you may be a little under powered so...

KP