HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Bud Morrison, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 10:30 PM
Joined Jan 2008
538 Posts
Performed the maiden flights on the Skydrill this morning. 7 flights altogether. Flew well on a Cox 6x3 prop but noticeably faster with an APC 4.2x4. Very fast and responsive. Flies on rails like a mini-pattern plane. Fastest .049-powered RC plane I've ever seen(although I haven't seen but a few). Much fun! Here it is with a fresh coat of castor oil slobber. Well earned.
Tee Bee is offline Find More Posts by Tee Bee
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2008, 10:54 PM
Size Matters!
San Francisco Bay Area
Joined Dec 2002
2,654 Posts
Hey TB your skydrill looks great, Nice colors and graphics.
Has Tim W. resurfaced?
RocketRob is offline Find More Posts by RocketRob
Old Mar 14, 2008, 04:44 AM
Joined Jan 2008
538 Posts
Thanks, Rocketbob. I only wish Time W. was around. Don't know what happened to him. I know his daughter was sick and he was hit by a drunk driver and injured but he came back from all that for a while. It's a shame as he seemed like a great guy and I was looking forward to doing more business with him. I love the Stage 3 Skyline engine he built for me. I'm probably one of the last customers to receive an order from him. His site is still up taking orders and emails but he never responds from what I understand. I wish him well and hope he can return to this hobby/business someday.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 06:51 AM
Size Matters!
San Francisco Bay Area
Joined Dec 2002
2,654 Posts
Thanks Tee Bee, The plane and engine combo look great and it sure looks like a great runner.
RocketRob is offline Find More Posts by RocketRob
Old Mar 21, 2008, 06:01 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,633 Posts
Here is my OS .25 MAX powered E-Flight Mini Pulse XT!

Its the PERFECT setup! 30oz. AUW RTF.
It will prop hang untill it falls out due to my limited torque roll abilities and will climb for-ever!

Flies just like its big brothers
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Old Apr 02, 2008, 01:29 PM
WINDEPENDENT
United States, CA, Beaumont
Joined Dec 2007
3,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee Bee
Performed the maiden flights on the Skydrill this morning. 7 flights altogether. Flew well on a Cox 6x3 prop but noticeably faster with an APC 4.2x4. Very fast and responsive. Flies on rails like a mini-pattern plane. Fastest .049-powered RC plane I've ever seen(although I haven't seen but a few). Much fun! Here it is with a fresh coat of castor oil slobber. Well earned.
WHATS THE YELLOW ONE NEXT TO THE SKYDRILL?
slopepilot is offline Find More Posts by slopepilot
Old Apr 02, 2008, 08:15 PM
Joined Jan 2008
538 Posts
It's a Pong Two powered by a Black Widow .049. Plans-built Randy Randolph design. See the previous page on this thread for more pics and info. See the following page for a complete build thread at RCU. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_63...tm.htm#6339518
Old Apr 03, 2008, 09:57 AM
Joined Jan 2008
538 Posts
Here's my newest 1/2A(or 1/8A) project. I call it El Pongito. It's roughly a 50% scale Pong Two powered by a Cox TD .010. 22" wingspan. Has a Berg4L receiver, 2 Hitec 55 servos, and a 160mah NiMH battery. Covered in Coverite Microlite with Ultracote graphics. Total weight is 4oz. Still need to mount the servos and canopy before flight testing it.
Old Apr 03, 2008, 10:19 AM
WINDEPENDENT
United States, CA, Beaumont
Joined Dec 2007
3,213 Posts
Quote:
Here's my newest 1/2A(or 1/8A) project. I call it El Pongito. It's roughly a 50% scale Pong Two powered by a Cox TD .010. 22" wingspan. Has a Berg4L receiver, 2 Hitec 55 servos, and a 160mah NiMH battery. Covered in Coverite Microlite with Ultracote graphics. Total weight is 4oz. Still need to mount the servos and canopy before flight testing it.
AUW with servos and canopy is 4oz! WOW..thats amazing..nice colors too..get some video please..although i guess it would look pretty small huh?
its a baeuty man ,nice work,,,cheers ,Dave
slopepilot is offline Find More Posts by slopepilot
Old Apr 03, 2008, 10:25 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,633 Posts
Thats pretty neat!

Im thinking of doing a .049 ShoeString or GLH after get my .10 powered profile Extra300 finished up, but I cant decide which!

Does anyone have a source for .049 sized props; 6x3 I think?
Old Apr 03, 2008, 11:33 AM
Velika Drenova also Zemun, Belgrade, Serbia
Joined Nov 2007
134 Posts
some apc's
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...93p?&C=QBC&P=0

and some ma's at tower
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...2&U=Y&M=QB&P=7

even zinger has props in 1/2arange
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...AdvancedSearch

I would suggest MAs, cause thay have right size hole for cox, have good expirence with them etc.., and maybe take whole range of 1/2a props(from 5.5x4 to x4 or even 7x3)
Nikolash is offline Find More Posts by Nikolash
Last edited by Nikolash; Apr 03, 2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old Apr 03, 2008, 03:18 PM
Joined Jan 2008
538 Posts
I've had good luck with APC props on .049s but you have to adapt the prop hub to fit the engine since the hole is too big. A 6x3 can be made to fit well with a piece of standard fuel tubing but some of the other sizes have a bigger hole and an adapter insert is needed. I've only got one of those and try to be careful not to lose it since I can't seem to find another one to replace it these days.
Old Apr 03, 2008, 04:16 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,633 Posts
I'll go with MA then because APCs are heavy and rather than loose a blade, they would cause damage to the shaft, or break the engine loose from the firewall, or worse yet, the firewall from the nose! (happoned to me 1 too many times!).

Every now and then a bundle and engines and props can be found on E-bay, but usually sell for too much in the end.'

Thanks guys!
Old Apr 04, 2008, 10:36 PM
Delta, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2003
1,833 Posts
Quote:
I've had good luck with APC props on .049s but you have to adapt the prop hub to fit the engine since the hole is too big. A 6x3 can be made to fit well with a piece of standard fuel tubing but some of the other sizes have a bigger hole and an adapter insert is needed. I've only got one of those and try to be careful not to lose it since I can't seem to find another one to replace it these days.
Another way to create a perfect fit adapter is to wrap some quality (E.g. 3M) black tape around the prop screw until it's the size of the prop hole. Don't stretch the tape as you wrap. Then use a razor to cut it to the same length as the prop hub. This is simple and it works.
groundfx is offline Find More Posts by groundfx
Old Apr 13, 2008, 12:50 AM
1/2a Flyer!
Russell, PA
Joined Sep 2003
41 Posts
Red Duck

A ready to fly 1/2a , it's kind cool !
Remby is offline Find More Posts by Remby