SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Bud Morrison, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 02:58 PM
Joined Jul 2007
82 Posts
Scratch built but old

Flea Whiz is from How to Design and Build Flying Model Airplanes by Keith Laumer, modified to take a toy pilot.
The P40 is original. It is so heavy for its wing size that it is almost a static display model.
david.ingham is offline Find More Posts by david.ingham
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2007, 04:15 PM
Pirkkala, Finland
Joined Jan 2005
560 Posts
I'd guess that almost means ,in this case, that you shouldn't maybe fly it, but you do that anyway, right? Good looking birds.
Jupeli is offline Find More Posts by Jupeli
Old Jul 20, 2007, 06:08 PM
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Apr 2002
21 Posts
SKcope, that is a beautifull plane. I really like the wing ribs, and I can see why you would use transparent covering. All that rib-work should be seen.

Here are a couple of my 1/2a's
Digger is offline Find More Posts by Digger
Old Jul 20, 2007, 06:20 PM
Mission, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2003
401 Posts
david.ingham,

Love the Flea Whiz. I really like Keith Laumer's designs and I have How to Design and Build Flying Model Airplanes too.
Bipe Flier is offline Find More Posts by Bipe Flier
Old Jul 20, 2007, 07:58 PM
Joined Jul 2007
82 Posts
Thanks Bipe Flier.
Skcope, yes, that is a very nice rib structure. It reminds me of piloted wooden aircraft ribs.
The clear covering leaves you open to other engineering comments, though. The spar doesn't need to be as large near the wing tips as near the fuselage. Keith Laumer's drawing has Flea Whiz's spar a constant thickness, but mine is tapered. It is also reinforced with hard wood near the fuselage, where it connects to however I carried the stress across the fuselage, while leaving room for the pilot. I remember a free flight glider plan in Aeromodeler with a very complicated tapered built up spar.
Old Aug 02, 2007, 09:56 AM
a.k.a. skcope
Trumbull, CT
Joined Feb 2007
318 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. David, you are correct that the spar doesn't need to be as thick at the wing tips but for the sake of simplicity, I made mine constant width vs. tapered. The ribs are the same thickness throughout the wing so it seemed simpler to make a constant thickness spar. The original design called for a solid spar while mine is actually a built up box spar (two smaller spars with shear webbing on either side) so it is actually quite light.
-Scott
AVGDAY is online now Find More Posts by AVGDAY
Old Sep 03, 2007, 12:54 AM
Joined Jul 2007
82 Posts
The easiest way to power the Rx was to leave the original battery where it was, so it took quite a bit of solder glued to the tail.
Old Oct 05, 2007, 01:00 AM
Joined Jul 2007
82 Posts
I have an RC Push Up I made and a free flight Daniel Boom I bought and am fixing up, but I left my digital camera at my niece's.
Skalliwag tells me that the wings bend on on Cox RC RTFs if you over-engine them. That plane was not a success, but the remaining hardware is in my Push Up.
Old Oct 09, 2007, 03:08 AM
Joined Jul 2007
82 Posts
Pictures

Here are Bruce's Daniel Boom and my Push-Up, both waiting to fly.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 03:35 PM
Enrique Montiel
Guadalajara
Joined Sep 2007
72 Posts
Biplane

I've ahd this biplane for about 7 years, great flyer, take off and landing in runaway.

Norvel BigMig .061, hitec HS55 on rudder, elev, ailerons.
Weight 550gr ready to fly.
emontielr is offline Find More Posts by emontielr
Last edited by emontielr; Oct 30, 2007 at 05:41 PM. Reason: info
Old Oct 26, 2007, 11:15 PM
Delta, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2003
1,839 Posts
Great looking bipe. It looks like a 1/2A plane should look... i.e. like it's had a fun life.
groundfx is offline Find More Posts by groundfx
Old Oct 27, 2007, 05:11 PM
elliptical = beauty
United States, TN, Greeneville
Joined Jul 2007
503 Posts
my first half-EH!! and a CO2 to compliment it...

my father-in-law bought the Sig Lil' Rascal kit for me. even got the asp .061 to go with it. WHAT A BUILD! very challenging. this is my second kit to build, and i've really enjoyed it. i guess it took me about 4 months to complete. lots going on, primarily my wife's MORNING SICKNESS! i guess i've created 2 lil' rascals in the past few months! HA! i highly recommend this kit. its really fun to build. i'm looking forward to the maiden this weeked.

the foam CO2 plane is the 27" Russian Jr. Foam ARF w/Co2 Motor Set Complete from carlsonengineimports.net. the fuselage was in two halves, and the vertical stab was seperate. i glued all that together with some UHU imitation. the wing is one piece and rubberbands on, as does he horizontal stab. i'm really pleased with how well it flies. the motor is plastic, but its my first, and i really like it. Ed Carlson is a great guy! Really helpful.
Rascal_Tom is offline Find More Posts by Rascal_Tom
Old Oct 31, 2007, 12:27 PM
feel no remorse
underground
Joined Jun 2004
1,184 Posts
Rascal_Tom i myself have one of those Junior ff models, the only thing thats left of it is the motor wiht a tank. The model crashed along time ago. But i have a problem, heres the thing; the co2 refil bottle(The black russian made) does not accept the american brand co2 metal bottles. It there some other way you fill your motor up? How do you do it?

Thanks Tom
youth must fly is offline Find More Posts by youth must fly
Old Oct 31, 2007, 03:02 PM
elliptical = beauty
United States, TN, Greeneville
Joined Jul 2007
503 Posts
youth must fly- i pmd you..
Rascal_Tom is offline Find More Posts by Rascal_Tom
Old Oct 31, 2007, 03:22 PM
"Cracking Toast Grommit!"
Sanford, NC
Joined Feb 2005
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by youth must fly
Rascal_Tom i myself have one of those Junior ff models, the only thing thats left of it is the motor wiht a tank. The model crashed along time ago. But i have a problem, heres the thing; the co2 refil bottle(The black russian made) does not accept the american brand co2 metal bottles. It there some other way you fill your motor up? How do you do it?

Thanks Tom
I would also like to know. I have a little russian motor, and I finally got it running after an exhaustive search for 8gm. co2 bulbs.
Is there a charger that takes the 12gm. co2 cartridges?
How is everyone else filling up?
metalbuggy is offline Find More Posts by metalbuggy