HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2004, 02:20 AM
Go Giants!
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Jun 2002
1,069 Posts
How did you re-inforce your GWS Corsair wing?

I am going to be putting a Himax 2025-5300 in my Corsair, and originally I thought the groove on the underside of the wing was for a spar, but on closer inspection I think that it probably isn't.

How do you re-inforce your wing? With the speeds that this plane will be going, I am scared that any maneuver I put her in will fold the wing if it is not re-inforced.

Thanks,

Brian
Flybyguy is offline Find More Posts by Flybyguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2004, 09:13 AM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,509 Posts
The groove is for the aileron servo wires (if you were mounting them on the wing) I just put a bamboo stick there as a spar.
dr.E is offline Find More Posts by dr.E
Old Feb 14, 2004, 09:48 AM
victim of the system
Home of the Toledo RC show
Joined Jul 2003
2,486 Posts
I have flown mine with a razor2500a and a MPJet 25/35 without any wing reinforcement ....no problems with the wing.....
TooTall is offline Find More Posts by TooTall
Old Feb 14, 2004, 08:50 PM
N.Y.
Joined Jan 2003
887 Posts
Same here, razor 2500 and no reinforcement.
Infact I have had a few crashes and the wing always comes out unbroken!
MAKODS is offline Find More Posts by MAKODS
Old Feb 14, 2004, 10:40 PM
Hernando,Mississippi, United States
Joined Apr 2003
735 Posts
Yep, no reinforcement required.Razor 400 on GWS 350C gearbox, Thunderpower 2s 2100. Went straight in once, no damage to wing.Actually no damage at all.
xmech is offline Find More Posts by xmech
Old Feb 15, 2004, 12:29 AM
Go Giants!
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Jun 2002
1,069 Posts
Thanks guys,

But it's not wether or not the wing will survive a crash into the ground, but will it survive very high-speed maneuvers, such as a high speed dive and then going to level or even climbing, or any high-stress maneuver.

Thanks,

Brian
Flybyguy is offline Find More Posts by Flybyguy
Old Feb 15, 2004, 02:08 AM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,693 Posts
I had a Mega 5 turn in mine with the wing stock. I yanked the plane around pretty good and didn't have a problem. Well, the plane did have a problem when I dunked it into the earth.

-Jon
echoplanar is offline Find More Posts by echoplanar
Old Feb 15, 2004, 02:13 AM
Joined Oct 2003
468 Posts
Has anyone put 2 servos in the wing of the Corsair for the alerions and if so do you have a plan?

Cheers

Bernie
bernoo is offline Find More Posts by bernoo
Old Feb 15, 2004, 11:54 AM
Seneca,SC
Joined Sep 2001
91 Posts
Flybyguy,
I really wanted to put something in that groove, too. I made a template of the shape of the wing along the groove, then traced it to a 2x4 scrap, then cut the shape line with a ban saw. This gave me a form to clamp up a three piece laminate of maple the thickness of the groove. I made it 1/4" wide and carefully forced it in the groove with epoxy. The laminate was quite strong, and not very heavy, but form the other posts, might have been overkill.
BroncoXLT is offline Find More Posts by BroncoXLT
Old Feb 15, 2004, 03:57 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2003
408 Posts
No reinforcement needed

Flybyguy,

Ya won't need it. I had mine setup with a Mega 16/7/7 motor and it was about as fast and as powerful as it gets. Heavy too at over 20oz.

Check out this video of mine without a spar (right-click and save-as...) and if you still think your's will need one afterwards, then I'd suggest putting it in where the servo cables go and either put your cables on top of the spar or simply tape them flat to the wing and paint over the tape.

Cheers,
Dave
ddoucette is offline Find More Posts by ddoucette
Old Feb 15, 2004, 06:17 PM
Tight is Right
Lehi, Utah, United States
Joined Dec 2001
7,659 Posts
I reinforced mine with CF rod.

I cut one the length of the first bend (which ends right at the wheel joint). I was able to press the CF rod in and form it to the proper shape. I held it while the 90second epoxy dried.

I then put two smaller cf sections out to the end of the groove.

Darren
Darren Hintze is offline Find More Posts by Darren Hintze