HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Mind Controlled Quad Copter

Impressive New Tech

Splash

Mind Over Mechanics

Could you control a copter with your mind? Would you even want to? The video below shows how a professor at the University of Minnesota has been able to get a Parrot AR Drone to follow the commands of students simply by thinking. A brain-computer interface allows the user to move the copter around a course with thoughts alone.

The technology is geared towards someday giving the handicapped mobility. I would also love to see this technology fully developed and made mainstream for hobby enthusiasts. It could seriously change how we interact with our models. Just think it and it obeys, at least until the bots become self aware and take over the world. Until then, it's great to see this science fiction idea become a reality. [IOPScience]

Mind Over Mechanics (2 min 29 sec)

Discussion

Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:41 AM
I like them a bit tail heavy
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,434 Posts
Pretty soon you will need no skill whatsoever in order to fly any radio controlled aircraft and do any trick at any skill level

There may be hope for me yet
tdab is offline Find More Posts by tdab
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:02 PM
United States, MN, Maple Grove
Joined May 1999
248 Posts
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
GoatRider is offline Find More Posts by GoatRider
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:39 PM
United States, TN, Brentwood
Joined Oct 2010
562 Posts
Every time I put that thinking cap on, the AR Drone went to Taco Bell.

It was weird. Thing must be broke.

I'm hungry.

DroneBuilder is online now Find More Posts by DroneBuilder
Old Sep 12, 2013, 05:59 PM
Medical IT Geek
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Jul 2007
396 Posts
So could we get robots to act out our dreams.......
Syntax is offline Find More Posts by Syntax
Old Sep 17, 2013, 07:48 PM
bacon and eggs
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined May 2013
1,038 Posts
im making a funny hexcopter video where a dog controls it's movements. stay tuned.
remvideo is offline Find More Posts by remvideo