Old Sep 09, 2013, 12:31 AM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Build Log
DJI X8 Phantom

I am moving my pics of the X8 Phantom build to a dedicated little thread so I can keep all the pics together. The Phantom thread moves at light speed.

To help understand the pics better, I will try to explain what I did.

This first pic is of the remaining 6 ESC's. I remove all wiring and the LED's from 1 of each pair so I can sandwich them together closer. The stock capacitors are only rated for a 3S battery so I replaced them with a higher voltage value to accept a 4S battery.

This is what has to be done to the bottoms of the arms. They are not perfectly flat and there is a hump next to the LED cover that has to be removed. I milled an area for the motor to sit flush and opened up a center hole for the shaft and lock washer to clear. Since the motor is pushing up I used only 2 screws to secure the motor and the last opening is for the wiring.

This is the bottom ESC after wiring is completed. The top ESC is soldered to the same wiring by scraping the PCB to remove the coating over the copper.

This is of course how the stock board and BEC appear. I removed all components and gave it an insulating coating of rubberized paint.

The DJI LED/BEC are 2 separate components after they are separated. The copper shafts holding them together are soldered in place so heating them allows the shafts to be removed and the BEC portion was used. I scraped 2 new areas to solder the BEC to so there was no wiring showing.

One down, 3 to go...

A close up of the ESC sandwich.

Wiring size was increased and soldered ends coated in liquid tape.

The stock motor mounts were lowered and chamfered out to match the screw heads so they sit securely in place. The new motor mounts were made from some black PCB board and shaped to fit snug in the arm.

A pic of the motor wiring going into the arm.

The remaining pics are of the completed mod.

DJI X8 Phantom by High Gain Tuning. (5 min 6 sec)
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Last edited by HGT; Sep 12, 2013 at 04:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2013, 02:25 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jan 2012
334 Posts
Nice HGT looks awesome
Ryhza is offline Find More Posts by Ryhza
Old Sep 09, 2013, 02:35 AM
Doing stuff since 1902.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,059 Posts
Definately looking great, and cool noise, or are all Phantom making this noise, is that the hollow plastic frame ?
Olivier_C is offline Find More Posts by Olivier_C
Old Sep 09, 2013, 02:48 AM
Joined Dec 2011
124 Posts
nice idea, im going to do the same but not with the standard esc but the 4in1 qbrains.
ThomB is offline Find More Posts by ThomB
Old Sep 09, 2013, 03:16 AM
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK
Joined Jan 2007
3,092 Posts
Quote. The Phantom thread moves at light speed.

Not as fast as your Phantom. Very cool.
Paul@SCC is offline Find More Posts by Paul@SCC
Old Sep 09, 2013, 04:11 AM
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
482 Posts
I was wondering how you land this little lightning?

BTW, super project!!
Aaalie is offline Find More Posts by Aaalie
Old Sep 09, 2013, 04:12 AM
Joined Aug 2013
135 Posts
nice hgt... thumbs up... hope you can post details on how you did this, this is much better the phantom v1.2.... next build is this, buy a low priced phantom v1 and upgrade it to x8 "the HGT mod"...
karlomatuguinas is online now Find More Posts by karlomatuguinas
Old Sep 09, 2013, 04:47 AM
Joined Jul 2013
511 Posts
very interesting! what are these dual propeller setups called?

and I suppose the prop wash from the top propeller feeds the bottom propeller and vice versa contributing? very cool if so!
ariZedA is offline Find More Posts by ariZedA
Old Sep 09, 2013, 04:59 AM
Joined Dec 2011
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZedA View Post
very interesting! what are these dual propeller setups called?

and I suppose the prop wash from the top propeller feeds the bottom propeller and vice versa contributing? very cool if so!
called X8
Old Sep 09, 2013, 05:48 AM
Joined Jul 2013
511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
called X8
Ah yes I get it now Would love to see a X8 F550 setup
ariZedA is offline Find More Posts by ariZedA
Old Sep 09, 2013, 06:44 AM
Doing stuff since 1902.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,059 Posts
Then that'd be a X12
Olivier_C is offline Find More Posts by Olivier_C
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:58 AM
HGT
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
nice idea, im going to do the same but not with the standard esc but the 4in1 qbrains.
I like that device and it would make a very neat installation in some quads, especially those with small CF boom tubes.. Definitely no room for 2 of those in a Phantom though. The second stacked Phantom ESC essentially takes no extra room away from anything else.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:00 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaalie View Post
I was wondering how you land this little lightning?

BTW, super project!!
I have some gear that should be here this week. Not a lot of choices that clear the bottom props but I found a set.

Right now it takes off of any flat surface.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:11 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlomatuguinas View Post
nice hgt... thumbs up... hope you can post details on how you did this, this is much better the phantom v1.2.... next build is this, buy a low priced phantom v1 and upgrade it to x8 "the HGT mod"...
If there's anything you don't see how I did it just ask here and I will post it.

With all due respect to DJI and I did use all DJI components in this build, I have to agree. I have a lot of ideas for DJI when it comes to airframes that would increase their ESC and motor sales. I was really hoping to see a larger Hex Phantom as they just fly so well and I like clean builds.

I have modified the door opening a bit more and it now accepts a 3S 4400 mAh battery I made from 2 OEM Phantom batteries. I now get a full 17 minutes with my first alarm set to 11.1 volts. Total weight is right around 1200gr.

Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:18 PM
Joined Dec 2011
124 Posts
everything can be made fit Would you recommend these dji motors? and why not on 4s? no room?