HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2013, 12:59 AM
Ukraine, Crimea, Bakhchysarai
Joined Mar 2012
1,515 Posts
Discussion
Safety of micro multirotors

Since we don't have safety thread about micro quad copter I decided to make one.
They discuss safety on threads like these:
DJI Phantom:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...tirotor+safeti
Lows and regulations:
Here's thread about some measures:

Here's guy sharing some safety measures experience go tell him that X4 clone is dangerous:
Here's the thread about concerns:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...elicopt+safeti

but no thread about micro quads. Yes they are toys, we have no cases of injuries so far but they may be confused with big ones buy some spectators which don't understand the difference so my reckless flying was not right from uneducated public's point of view.
asanovrus is offline Find More Posts by asanovrus
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by asanovrus; Sep 15, 2013 at 12:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2013, 01:18 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,515 Posts
Big CP helis is something I don't understand. If I was interested in stunts I would get v922 or similar. All 3 known tragic deaths from rc are because of big CP stunt helicopters. I don't think quad can kill but can wound for sure.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by asanovrus; Jan 14, 2014 at 05:50 AM.
Old Sep 08, 2013, 05:00 AM
Joined Jul 2008
573 Posts
I've given myself a nasty graze on my thumb by catching my mini quad badly before. At 450 grams and 31cm arms (5 inch plastic props) it's not quite a micro though. If i ploughed into someones face at full speed it could be bad but i believe i have a bigger safety margin than a 'proper' 'full sized' quadcopter would posses.

If you are flying a hubsan X4 class micro quad then i think it's less dangerous than a frisbee. But people can be injured by frisbees.

I fly the small one in the (quiet - private) road outside my house. Which i dont do with any of the bigger ones;

Teslaquad Evening Stunt flight (4 min 58 sec)

But not when there are cars or people nearby. And i learned to fly in an empty field.
teslahed is offline Find More Posts by teslahed
Last edited by teslahed; Sep 08, 2013 at 05:09 AM.
Old Sep 08, 2013, 05:10 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,515 Posts
thanks for video Teslahed. that thing looks dangerous to me, I wouldn't fly that even in my living room not to mention a classroom fool of teens.
when flying JD 385 in classroom I had 2 purposes: to make students interested and to shoot video that they would enjoy watching. Now they will be the only watchers of those video although it was impressive stability demonstration that I tried to share on this forum.
I'm in this hobby not to run and hide from people like monk or some dangerous beast being afraid of myself. I got rid of my f45 FP helicopter and stay away from bigger quads because I don't enjoy flying in my living room or back yard. than what are those onboard cameras for? to film trash cans of backyards?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2013, 05:41 AM
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2013
697 Posts
Got my ass chewed out over in.... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1970005

...for posting this video...

WLToys V222 from Banggood.com vs. "The Tryouts" (4 min 0 sec)
EhnTeePee is online now Find More Posts by EhnTeePee
Old Sep 08, 2013, 06:05 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EhnTeePee View Post
wow, that was a bit scary to me. I don't judge since nobody's hurt but I wouldn't do that. when those kids play they may get injured even without some quad hovering over them. and if that happens at that time the adult will get troubles.
but hovering away from them and filming game would be nice. this is my video from public place:
v222 with y3000 HD camera onboard in Yalta seafront (5 min 44 sec)

I got this quad for this kind of videos, if some guy films his yard for many years I don't mind but I would be bored not only watching but even flying like that
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2013, 06:08 AM
Joined Jul 2008
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asanovrus View Post
thanks for video Teslahed. that thing looks dangerous to me, I wouldn't fly that even in my living room not to mention a classroom fool of teens.
I would not fly my mini quadcopter in a classroom full of kids. I would fly it in the road outside the back of my house when that's empty of kids. When kids are playing i leave it until they are finished. Occasionally i put on demonstrations for them - but only if they are happy standing somewhere safe away from where i am flying. I haven't had any complaints from parents yet - they actually seem to like me so far (i must be doing something right!).

Teslaquad indoor demo (1 min 10 sec)

It's fine in a living room but would be better in a sports hall.

I fully agree that everyone should be careful with these things. Even the small ones. But with a hubsan the biggest risk would be flying into the road and causing a traffic accident by distracting a driver. Which is a real possibility if you are not careful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EhnTeePee View Post
Got my ass chewed out over in.... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1970005

...for posting this video...
The biggest risk there is that the people you are flying over don't necessarily understand the small quadcopter is unlikely to injur them. By flying a small quadcopter over crowds you are giving the impression to the uneducated that it's ok to fly a quadcopter over a crowd - something best avoided that.
Old Sep 08, 2013, 07:14 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teslahed View Post
I fully agree that everyone should be careful with these things. Even the small ones. But with a hubsan the biggest risk would be flying into the road and causing a traffic accident by distracting a driver. Which is a real possibility if you are not careful!.
members with many thousands of post behind (and dozens of threads started) attacked me fearing of my hubsan X4 clone (JXD 385). One was explaining me what the motives I had during flying (must be shrink or smth), another was comparing hubsan X4 flight with chemistry practical lesson so kids all should wear safety glasses when they go to toy store.
your quad is brushless and even though it's not big it's 20 times heavier and stronger then micros. v959 is almost the same size but it is light as paper plane and blades are spinning driven by 8mm brushed motors. those blades are so slow that even dust or water drops remain on the blades during flight. but there is risk of very small cuts because corners of blades might be sharp.
The only thing that may get injured with micros and minis is eye and since eye have reflex to close when something getting closer (fly, insects etc) I don't think we will ever have that extreme scenario.
edit: not to mention that people have reflex to protect their faces with hands
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by asanovrus; Sep 08, 2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old Sep 08, 2013, 08:28 AM
Joined Jul 2008
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asanovrus View Post
your quad is brushless and even though it's not big it's 20 times heavier and stronger then micros.
That's why i don't fly over people or cars with people in them. Parked (empty) cars are ok - i have insurance for that.

Quote:
The only thing that may get injured with micros and minis is eye and since eye have reflex to close when something getting closer (fly, insects etc) I don't think we will ever have that extreme scenario.
edit: not to mention that people have reflex to protect their faces with hands
Some people don't have eyes and some people don't have arms. And you can't protect yourself if you just don't notice it in time (drunk, asleep, slow - whatever). But i agree the real dangers from a collision with a hubsan class quadcopter are slight compared to most others. I think the biggest problem is annoying people by flying over them without permission and creating bad feeling. Since you had permission from the parents in this particular case that's not an issue.
Old Sep 08, 2013, 08:53 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,515 Posts
it was on my table after flying it in the break (I relax that way). The kids started to ask questions, very excited, so I agreed to show them. they couldn't believe that such tiny thing can film so I proved that. those who where on back desks asked if I can bring it closer to them so I did. the props were protected with prop guard, I was trying it that day and honestly was not happy with performance. I was not intending to fly there.
when you upload video on forum like this you should be ready that some boring people will tell you that you have to be monk if you in this hobby. I never was. my daughter knows rc things since she was born, they are the only things she is not afraid. I always was trying to keep her behind my back or stop flying except with v939 and JXD 385. my JXD 385 got stuck in her hair ones and I spent some time removing it. And very many people have coaxial helis here. I don't even pay attention if one hovers right next to my head.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2013, 10:56 AM
Step 1: Tear it apart
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
4,492 Posts
Asonrovus, was the guy who attacked you now banned from these forums? I agree that the brushed mini and micro quads don't pose much danger to anyone. I think their most dangerous potential is if they're flown at full speed as the velocity of FFF will do more damage than the props can. My V212 autorotates when I cut throttle to zero so I'm not so worried about it hurting anyone when it loses radio contact. The V262, not that will do a dead drop and could cause some damage in a free-fall but it's still magnitudes lighter than a brushless setup.

That being said, it's all about perception. Your standard bystander doesn't know that the brushed minis and micros are pretty much harmless and while I've flown them at events where I was a vendor, capturing it on video may not be the wisest thing. This is why I didn't post my video of Fort Matanzas in St. Augustine even though I wasn't flying directly over the fort or any pedestrians.

I think the crowd you fly around is important too. Your students are probably familiar with what the quad is capable of vs a public place where the majority of bystanders don't know the difference between a toy grade, lightweight brushed quad and a high-RPM heavier brushless setup.

I have a few professors who fly the V202 to show their college students an introduction to quads and don't see a problem there.
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2013, 11:38 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,515 Posts
hi MO, well that was not that kind of attack, it started here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3048 and then continued through all the rest of the pages.
I flied in public many times in concerts, festivals, just in some interesting places. if it's crowded then it adds some adrenaline and it's harder to concentrate but the video is much more interesting then
v222 in bus station of Yalta, Crimea, Ukraine. 2013-08-22 (1 min 6 sec)

I don't think it's important what bystanders think or know about my mini quad. I fly it for several minutes and go away. it's funny to hear their discussing it: oh look at that flying spider over there! wow what is it? and I have to answer funny questions then. and to think that my flying would change their behavior is ridiculous, they are so far from them that if they really decide to get into it it will take years, and since most don't speak english they can't just shop on BG or read this forum
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2013, 01:52 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
2,364 Posts
Definately putting innocent people in harms way. They have no idea that the aircraft above them can cut flesh and bone. You are a good pilot, but that does not take into account a mechanical or radio transmission malfunction.

You are playing with fire, sir, it is only a matter of time.

bd
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Old Sep 08, 2013, 02:03 PM
Joined Jun 2005
976 Posts
My micro quads with geared drives are almost totally harmless. But the little direct drive Hubsan X4 is able to nick the fingers if you're dumb enough to test it.

I was dumb enough. Now I am not. Nuff said.
dapple63 is offline Find More Posts by dapple63
Old Sep 08, 2013, 03:18 PM
Joined Jul 2008
203 Posts
If a Hubsan/Ladybird prop hit somebody directly in the eye at full power, I suspect that could be quite nasty.

But beyond that, well, it's unlikely to even cause a scratch. I've certainly been hit in the arm/hand by my own micro quads a few times, and while the impact stings a bit, it's never yet caused any damage.

All risk is relative, though, nothing is really perfectly safe, is it - even something as simple as a stray Lego brick on the floor can be rather painful if you're walking around in bare feet...
bluescrn is offline Find More Posts by bluescrn