SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by JCMorgan, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 06, 2013, 05:30 AM
Krueminator
United States
Joined Apr 2012
1,103 Posts
Discussion
Death by Heli

Not sure where the right place to post this would be, but it concerns a lot of us. Just read about a rc heli killing a 19 year old. Awful news. My heart goes out to the family. As far as I know this is only the second death caused by rc heli in AMA history.I believe this was the som of the persident of the club. So sad.
JCMorgan is offline Find More Posts by JCMorgan
Old Sep 06, 2013, 05:39 AM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Sad and horrible news. A reminder to us all to double check our safety protocols, regardless of what we fly.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 06, 2013, 05:47 AM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,720 Posts
Geez....So Sad...I didn't hear bout this....That's terrible...Those rascals scare me....I've always told people at the field when they fly .....Please....watch...we have a fella that flies one on 12 cell....and they are plum spooky....I hate to hear of this news...
FlyBillyFly is offline Find More Posts by FlyBillyFly
Old Sep 06, 2013, 06:45 AM
# Scale is a way of life
United States, OH, Avon Lake
Joined Apr 2010
1,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
Sad and horrible news. A reminder to us all to double check our safety protocols, regardless of what we fly.
+1

One of the clubs I belong to has a small field that the heli guys use,,, we have some expert pilots there that fly in a way that makes me nervious to the point that I just leave. Sad as this is hopefully it's a wake up call for the helli guys.
scale_only is online now Find More Posts by scale_only
Old Sep 06, 2013, 07:08 AM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,844 Posts
It was in the NY Post, happened in a park in Brooklyn

http://nypost.com/2013/09/05/man-dec...oy-helicopter/

Very sad, my heart goes out to the family...
Hemikiller is online now Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2013, 07:55 AM
USA, NY, Middletown
Joined May 2008
55 Posts
Indeed very sad news, my heart goes out out his family and loved ones.

This should serve as a lesson to us fixed wing pilots as well (I being one of them), incidents like this one are definitely within the realm of possibility in our side of the hobby. Our models are easily capable of speeds well over 70 mph even in the smaller scales and we sometimes become complacent and careless.

Now I do not know if it was pilot error or mechanical failure that caused this, but I have been hearing reports all morning of how these are often called "toys" when all of the manufacturers clearly state they are not in their documentation, and anyone involved in the hobby is well aware of that fact as well. There is a Congressman already looking to ban heli flying at the park until a full investigation is done to see if it is safe to continue for the general public.

I would think it was just a freak accident with an unfortunate outcome.

Let's think safe and be safe, one can never be too careful.
clandestoy is online now Find More Posts by clandestoy
Last edited by clandestoy; Sep 06, 2013 at 07:55 AM. Reason: ...
Old Sep 06, 2013, 08:19 AM
United States, VT, Berlin
Joined Jul 2009
79 Posts
My heart goes out to the family as well.... I wonder if this person is a member on RCG? I def recognize his picture... maybe its just because I have seen his youtube vids before.

Very sad news
jmscard is online now Find More Posts by jmscard
Last edited by jmscard; Sep 06, 2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2013, 08:36 AM
Krued Up
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Jul 2004
4,533 Posts
Prayers to the family. Our thoughts are with them.
snolord1 is offline Find More Posts by snolord1
Old Sep 06, 2013, 08:59 AM
Fabrication Extraordinaire!
United States, MI, Niles
Joined Mar 2008
1,022 Posts
I was at the Tri Valley R/C 50th anniversary event in South Bend Indiana a couple weeks back to witness a guy flying a .90 size heli ten feet in front of the pits doing high G aerobatics at a low altitude. I kept my distance by walking to my car and using it as a shield while watching a crowd of twenty or so standing near the heli and pilot thinking this could get ugly if something goes wrong!!! Reminds me of a video I saw a couple years back of AJ Slick flying dangerously close to a crowd of people. I guess its ok by AMA standards if you are "well known" or if the club's members deem you fit to fly that close to people but then eventually injury or death will occur.

Im not sure what the details were in the case of the 19 year old in New York but I saw a video of him landing a chopper with the video camera attatched to it on a table in front of himself and another guy at what looked to be at a AMA type event? This incident may have been a freak accident but his videos shows his negligence in safety prior to this incident!

Link from ABC News(They have since edited their video cutting out his landing on the table???):

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=201...%2Bkills%2Bman

Link from youtube:

[Full] Teen Flies The Toy Chopper That Killed Him By Slicing Off His Skull 19 yr old Roman Pirozek (2 min 48 sec)

Link to another youtube video:

Huge RC Helicopter Stunt Get Fail -=Helicopter Likes Man Head=- (0 min 48 sec)

My condolences go out to his family and friends however if the AMA and its clubs are about safety why do they allow this to go on at events???
flyinjrc74 is offline Find More Posts by flyinjrc74
Last edited by flyinjrc74; Sep 06, 2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2013, 09:09 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
The AMA doesn't regulate the shows, the CD and safety officer at the field should be primarily responsible.

Absent that, every member of a club should be a safety officer and be able to call out when something is not going as it should be. Our club complies with AMA guidelines on Pits, spectator areas, safety lines etc when holding events. We built extra large PVC flight stations with mesh just in case someone looses control. On the first day we did install those, for an IMAC event, a pilot came in and lost his rudder due to a rough landing...1/4 scale came barreling right into the flight station and hit it square on. It didn't move more than an inch or two, but the pilot and spotter were fine.

It's really cool to see what some people can do with their aircraft, and most times nothing will happen when the envelope is pushed. It's usually not good when things go wrong though. There was another video around here not long ago of a heli pilot getting hit by his own heli. I think he was a sponsored pro pilot too. Came in to close to himself, either the rotor or boom touched the ground, and i went right into him. Why he couldn't land 20 feet out and walk to get his heli was unknown, but he lucked out. I guess he blades were already shut down and folded up when it hit his back. (yup..that's the one!)

**Just watched the video...flying the chopper into the tent, not good.
Last edited by porcia83; Sep 06, 2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2013, 09:20 AM
United States, MI, Niles
Joined Mar 2008
1,022 Posts
Quote:
The AMA doesn't regulate the shows, the CD and safety officer at the field should be primarily responsible.

Absent that, every member of a club should be a safety officer and be able to call out when something is not going as it should be. Our club complies with AMA guidelines on Pits, spectator areas, safety lines etc when holding events. We built extra large PVC flight stations with mesh just in case someone looses control. On the first day we did install those, for an IMAC event, a pilot came in and lost his rudder due to a rough landing...1/4 scale came barreling right into the flight station and hit it square on. It didn't move more than an inch or two, but the pilot and spotter were fine.

It's really cool to see what some people can do with their aircraft, and most times nothing will happen when the envelope is pushed. It's usually not good when things go wrong though. There was another video around here not long ago of a heli pilot getting hit by his own heli. I think he was a sponsored pro pilot too. Came in to close to himself, either the rotor or boom touched the ground, and i went right into him. Why he couldn't land 20 feet out and walk to get his heli was unknown, but he lucked out. I guess he blades were already shut down and folded up when it hit his back.
They dont regulate the event but they do set the standards that are supposed to be adhered to and then are supposed to pay out on a claim when something bad happens. When you have proof that these things are going on at AMA clubs via numerous videos how can they not expect these accidents to happen more frequently? Parts break, dumb thumbs and then there is Murphy...
Old Sep 06, 2013, 09:26 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
They set the standards and rules, publish them, talk about them in forums and in the mags, but they can't force people to adhere to them. I don't think they are set up to watch the videos and reach out to clubs to correct what they see. Again, I think that is up to all members of the club where that is going on.

You are right about Murphy...when things go wrong, sometimes they go really wrong.
Old Sep 06, 2013, 09:33 AM
United States, MI, Niles
Joined Mar 2008
1,022 Posts
Quote:
They set the standards and rules, publish them, talk about them in forums and in the mags, but they can't force people to adhere to them. I don't think they are set up to watch the videos and reach out to clubs to correct what they see. Again, I think that is up to all members of the club where that is going on.

You are right about Murphy...when things go wrong, sometimes they go really wrong.
You are right! It sad that this tragedy happened and now maybe heli & airplane flyers will practice the hobby with a better sense of safety in mind.
Old Sep 06, 2013, 01:04 PM
Buyer rating is really 4
Joined Feb 2013
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scale_only View Post
+1

One of the clubs I belong to has a small field that the heli guys use,,, we have some expert pilots there that fly in a way that makes me nervious to the point that I just leave. Sad as this is hopefully it's a wake up call for the helli guys.
Yeah there's people pushing every rule, like the flight line rule. There's a local guy at nationally known skill level who flies like that. He was flying a large scale probably 120 powered heavy 3D craft, aiming straight at the flight line at low altitude while veering away right over the flight line at a high bank. This was not just once, but a repeated figure 8 pattern. If the flight line had a vertical wall, he would have been doing touch and goes off of it. He's probably at the 99,99% skill level, but who cares. I had to leave a tent where I was actually sitting at talking with the guy's very own mother. He would aim the plane almost right at us and then bank the plane away from us at high speed at just feet away, while also at low altitude. I'm not sure if it was intentional, as the tent was near the corner of the field and thus on his pattern, but it didn't make any difference. If any problem had occurred, the plane could easily have crashed into us, and we would have been dead. No injuries in that kind of a crash, just dead.
AntiArf is offline Find More Posts by AntiArf
Old Oct 05, 2013, 08:12 PM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2012
359 Posts
Was a cause ever determined for the accident? It seems all the news stories stop around Sep 6th/7th and there's nothing further.
NCC1701D is offline Find More Posts by NCC1701D