HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2013, 06:01 AM
Joined Jan 2013
414 Posts
given that a micro rc helicopter ,possibly 3d cp in the future is the most i need it for ,what would be the most basic/cheap but worth having programmable transmitter i could get ?
dadio is offline Find More Posts by dadio
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2013, 06:17 AM
Eastern, NC
Joined Apr 2008
533 Posts
Flysky TH9X with reflashed firmware and WL-T6 or HT8 module.
That'll let you fly pretty much any HiSky or WLToys heli, and has tons of room to grow.
If you're halfway decent with a soldering iron, you can have the whole package up and running for just over $100. Hard to beat with a stick! lol

I've heard the Turnigy 9XR is good too (comes with backlight and built-in programmer port), but I have no personal experience with it, so I won't comment.
CX2Mike is offline Find More Posts by CX2Mike
Old Oct 20, 2013, 07:05 AM
Joined Jan 2013
414 Posts
i'm pretty good with a soldering iron , the re flashing the firmware ,is there a guide ? do i need 9 channels as the 6 channel is much cheeper ?
Last edited by dadio; Oct 20, 2013 at 07:11 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 07:35 AM
Austria, Tir., Innsbruck
Joined Sep 2013
144 Posts
Im still flying with the stock Tx (WLtoy, not Hisky) so I cant program anything. Im sure a better tx would make a big difference, though I wont buy one until I make the step to cp. I can controll the v944 very well with the stock tx so I dont see any need to change tx now. My next tx should be a good one, which I can use for mini helis, as well as for bigger ones (if I ever want to fly bigger ones, we will see). I also intend to use this tx on plains, one Tx to rule them all

Regarding slow turns/circles: Learn to hover in all possible orientations first. This will help a lot to get the bird under control if the turn goes wrong. I noticed that slow turns and circles are somehow harder if you fly them in great hight. If you fly them closer to the ground (1-1.5m hight) it is easier to see the orientation and to react to its movements. In general (and without wind) you have to give some aileron in the same direction as rudder, depending on the speed maybe some pitch up. While I give constant rudder, I only use the aileron only in a "pumping" manner (only for slow turns, this did not work for me for banked turns or eights, but it was a good way to start for me).

For nose-in-circles it helpt a lot to learn them flying around myself. It never was able to do even a half circle until I tried it that way. Flying around yourself will make it possible to see the orientation of the bird much much clearer than if you try to do the circle in front of you. I dont know if this will work for turns, but it might be worth a try.

Ps: What soldering iron do you guys use? I have a 20W from a local building center, but I think its to bulky to use at a tx..
xMeox is offline Find More Posts by xMeox
Old Oct 20, 2013, 08:31 AM
Italy, Campania, Castel Volturno
Joined Aug 2013
8 Posts
Greetings to all. I have been following these posts and find it all a great help. I have v911 and v922 and an old coax and now have ordered a v944 based on the wonderful info here. thanks for sharing!
a little note on this beginer learning to fly. after destroying the first v911 with many tree strikes and fish ponds dumps I was fearful for my new v922 and could only hover a few seconds before crash. So found a most helpful item that has saved me many broken parts. a sort of training device for heli. attached to landing gear are four rods in X form with little balls on end. these provide help when bouncing at landing crashes and also due to the 8 grams extra weight slow the beast down. now at 500 flight minutes I have removed the training gear. I plan to do the same for the v944 too.
mikroll is offline Find More Posts by mikroll
Last edited by mikroll; Oct 20, 2013 at 08:33 AM. Reason: spell error
Old Oct 20, 2013, 09:03 AM
Austria, Tir., Innsbruck
Joined Sep 2013
144 Posts
if you can handle the v922, you should have no problem to handle the v944. only difference is that you have to pull the throttle stick back in case of a crash (on the stock tx the power of switch doesnt work for the v944).

I tried to build some similar device myself (used 4 table tennis balls and two shashlik sticks). But I guess it was to heavy. The v944 was able to lift of, but it handled totally different than without so I figured to drop the idea again and just learn to fly without it over gras and similar soft ground
Old Oct 20, 2013, 09:17 AM
Italy, Campania, Castel Volturno
Joined Aug 2013
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xMeox View Post
if you can handle the v922, you should have no problem to handle the v944. only difference is that you have to pull the throttle stick back in case of a crash (on the stock tx the power of switch doesnt work for the v944).

I tried to build some similar device myself (used 4 table tennis balls and two shashlik sticks). But I guess it was to heavy. The v944 was able to lift of, but it handled totally different than without so I figured to drop the idea again and just learn to fly without it over gras and similar soft ground
thanks,good to know soon about throttle as I only have 15 meter space before meeting hard spots such as walls , trees and fences so need quick reactions.
I also tried to make a divice with soda straws and foam but it did not work , then got one online where I bought the v922 for little cost. and works perfect..
mikroll is offline Find More Posts by mikroll
Old Oct 20, 2013, 10:59 AM
Joined Jan 2013
414 Posts
Ps: What soldering iron do you guys use? I have a 20W from a local building center, but I think its to bulky to use at a tx..[/QUOTE]
i find a 25w soldering iron best these days with lead free solder , get one with changeable heads so you can adjust the head size for the job in hand, either an antex or similar "maplin " is you'r friend if you have them in you'r area.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 01:41 PM
Joined Jan 2013
414 Posts
just checked the v911 tail boom and its a little longer but the same section so could be cut to length.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 01:55 PM
Austria, Tir., Innsbruck
Joined Sep 2013
144 Posts
Hm I havnt compared spares, but if I look at my 911-1 next to the 944 the booms seem to be the same length (+-3mm, which should be no problem)

Oh and if you havnt read it before, get yourself some 922 tail blades, they work way better on the 944 than the 911 blades (= stock blades)
Old Oct 20, 2013, 03:42 PM
Joined Jan 2013
414 Posts
already ordered , also ordered some bullet main blades for the v922 to try out.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 01:14 AM
Austria, Tir., Innsbruck
Joined Sep 2013
144 Posts
Have you considered green bullet blades ? A little bit more expensive, but much easier to see.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 06:58 AM
Joined Jan 2013
414 Posts
i've already ordered the plain v922 ones so i.ll see how they fly
Old Oct 21, 2013, 01:15 PM
Joined May 2013
4 Posts
CX2Mike,
I have an FS-TH9X with er9x. Could you share your setup for the V944?

Thanks in advance.
TimChiaretto is offline Find More Posts by TimChiaretto
Old Oct 21, 2013, 01:21 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,102 Posts
Reports of plastics used in the colored blades are more resilient than the plastic used in the black blades. Which can be brittle.

At least that's what I remember reading. I have the green blades and I have not tried them out yet. I've gone through many black blades on the v922. And I can see how it could be considered brittle.

Of course, if I don't crash...it would be a none issue.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon