HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2013, 09:47 AM
United States, NV, North Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2013
21 Posts
Discussion
flybarless VS flybar

Is a flybarless heli easier to fly than a flybar heli for sport flying and /or someone new to flying helis ?
leo4321 is online now Find More Posts by leo4321
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2013, 12:01 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,589 Posts
I flew fly bar for my first 3 years in the hobby before I converted everything over to fbl....I would not say fbl is any easier to fly.. But it does smooth things out a bit better in flight. All the same rules apply for flight be it fb or fbl...

For me fbl feels a bit more locked in. . . . . Others may tell you different..

P.S.....I see your in Vegas as well. Welcome to rcg.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Sep 03, 2013, 12:07 PM
A&P in training
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Dec 2008
1,258 Posts
I actually like how FB helicopters feel while hovering. It's kind of hard to explain but I always felt more connected to the helicopter and had more control in slow flight. In quick forward flight though, the FBL really makes things more solid, and you don't get the blowback tendency like a FB machine. Oh and FB sounded meaner under positive G's
ASTREA1 is offline Find More Posts by ASTREA1
Old Sep 04, 2013, 12:57 AM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo4321 View Post
Is a flybarless heli easier to fly than a flybar heli...
It's a difficult question to answer one way or the other as it depends on so many variables. To be definitive would require flying the exact same heli with 3 different configurations, 90 flybar... 45 flybar and flybarless. The only heli I know of that had those options available was the long discontinued Walkera 4#6.
Having said that, it also depends on how well set up the mechanical flybar is or how well set up (and features available) the flybarless controller is. After all the flybarless controller is basically an electronic flybar.
The thing about flybars, it's also dependent on the size of the heli as to how easier or more difficult it becomes.
On the micro helis (up up say 300 size) a 90 flybar setup generally means they will be fairly difficult to control, that's why many manufacturers switched to the 45 set up for that size class. The 45 system has a self stabilising effect whereas the 90 not so. Now you will find many of the micros released are flybarless due to the advances in electronic stabilisation.
As you move up in size (450/500) you still find ones available with the 90 flybar, and of course with the larger size and weight comes more stability. But they are more difficult to maintain and set up as there are many more parts in the rotor assembly. This also can lead to more things to repair/replace in the event of a mishap.
I don't mind flybars on the larger helis, but I would not want anything other than 45 or flybarless for the smaller ones.
If you are thinking of getting into this hobby, a decent little quad is a great way to start. The Blade nQx is hugely popular at the moment (for good reason) and will teach you all the basics needed to then progress to a heli, without a lot of the headaches and heartache.
mono is offline Find More Posts by mono
Old Sep 04, 2013, 05:55 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Jun 2013
130 Posts
Easier, no. Better, yes.
tracernz is offline Find More Posts by tracernz
Old Sep 04, 2013, 09:47 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,596 Posts
If a FB heli is not setup right, it is harder to fly. I STILL have not had a sucessful flight on a FB heli, but got a 300x and was AMAZED! I can actually fly it. It does what I tell it and ONLY what I tell it to do.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Sep 05, 2013, 10:17 PM
Where's the swimming pool
Joined Jul 2011
952 Posts
Quote:
Is a flybarless heli easier to fly than a flybar heli for sport flying and /or someone new to flying helis ?
I think so. But if you don't know what you're doing an FBL probably has more gotchas.

Trend wise FBL is the way to go.

Current decent micro CP's are pre set up so you pretty much plug and play with minor adjustments but once you are ready for a 450 or bigger have someone who knows what exactly is going on help you with setup ideally till you figure it out, might save a crash.
spykez is offline Find More Posts by spykez
Old Sep 06, 2013, 12:20 AM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,624 Posts
Quote:
yes its easier when compared to the same heli with a 90degree flybar. Mostly because in order to do FBL, you have to have gyros on pitch and roll, which means external events (wind, gravity) will have much less effect on the heli, which takes a lot of the load off the pilot. Another plus to most FBL setups is piro compensation, which is a HUGE help in flight, taking a lot of load off the pilot = easier to fly.

Personally, I will NEVER buy another heli with a flybar, which is the same thing you will hear from most FBL fliers....
dacaur is online now Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Sep 06, 2013, 02:04 AM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
yes its easier when compared to the same heli with a 90degree flybar. Mostly because in order to do FBL, you have to have gyros on pitch and roll, which means external events (wind, gravity) will have much less effect on the heli, which takes a lot of the load off the pilot. Another plus to most FBL setups is piro compensation, which is a HUGE help in flight, taking a lot of load off the pilot = easier to fly.

Personally, I will NEVER buy another heli with a flybar, which is the same thing you will hear from most FBL fliers....
Could not have said it any better!

Its feels easier as the gyro eliminates the wind factor. I have both FB and FBL and both hold their own. I can do some tricks with less effort and cleaner on a FBL heli than FB.

If you have a FB heli and learning dont discount it. You will end up with better control learning from a FB heli when transitioning to FBL
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy
Old Sep 06, 2013, 10:17 AM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,589 Posts
I don't think leo4321 no longer cares... Vegas has a way of side tracking people. lol

One and done.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Sep 08, 2013, 04:27 AM
NCFR !!!
United States, IN, Valparaiso
Joined Jul 2013
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post
I don't think leo4321 no longer cares... Vegas has a way of side tracking people. lol

One and done.
One and done,,,,,,LOL!!
JRjoe is offline Find More Posts by JRjoe