HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by porcia83, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 02, 2013, 08:47 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Cool
2013 IMAA Giant Scale Fly In at Wintonbury Flying Club

Well another IMAA event has come and gone. Weather was looking great all week and then, well, all I'll say is New England. Anyone from here knows what that's all about. Folks started arriving as early as Thursday night and many showed up Friday during the day to get a good parking space and get the unloading and building started. Tent placement is crucial of course! Saturday came and the parking spaces filled up quickly. We do have a large field but it can get dicey at times as we are in a flood zone. We had some rain come and visit but just here and there, and many folks flew right through it anyway.

For the first year we have a mascot and guard dog. Well, more of a lazy dog who likes treats actually. He did more sleeping and begging for scraps than anything else.

Things got underway soon enough and 31 pilots signed up for the fun. As usual we had some really beautiful planes show up, many were scratch built and heavily detailed and customized. One entry was a custom built one off, and it even came with a little baby brother in the same style. The details and performance of many of these planes is just fantastic. While those in the hobby love it, it's also great to have the public stop by, even better when families show up, have a seat front and center in the spectator area, and get to see what we've come to expect from this event, world class flying.

Here are some pics to start things off, I'll be updating as much as possible over the next few days. Thanks for reading.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2013, 12:54 AM
Joined Jul 2011
162 Posts
I had the wonderful opportunity to see that particular dc-3 fly in Farmington recently. Nothing short of a work of art.
NoiseBox is offline Find More Posts by NoiseBox
Old Sep 03, 2013, 06:19 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Yes, we were really looking forward to seeing it go up. Engine issues kept it from flying. I'm hoping to see it fly soon!
Old Sep 03, 2013, 07:38 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Booooomerang

This is always a crowd favorite for a demo. Nothing beats the sight, sound, and smell of a turbine. This thing can haul out and cross the length of our field in mere seconds, turn around for a nice knife edge pass mid field., and float on in for a nice soft landing.
Old Sep 03, 2013, 08:29 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
some oldies but goodies. Amazing craftsmanship

The details on some of these planes was amazing.
Old Sep 03, 2013, 09:23 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
My guilty pleasure

This never gets old for me. Load up a plane with candy, dime store toys, and some monkeys and cows with parachutes and let 'er rip. I'm getting better at it each time, from about 200 feet can deliver at least 90% of the goodies in the middle of the runway. That last little 'chute stayed up longer than expected though!
Old Sep 03, 2013, 09:26 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Tomorrow I'll put up some pics and videos from two of the best fliers I've ever seen. Stay tuned
Old Sep 04, 2013, 09:11 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
A new Club friend Warbirdpilots.com

Our CD was contacted a day before our event and asked if a local guy could come by and show some of his custom made items to our giant scale pilots. Hard to believe this guy lived just a short drive away and we had never met him before.

Adam owner of www.Warbirdpilots.com stopped by and set up a tent to show us his custom made pilots. They are impressive to say the least. Custom made in many different sizes, the type style and details of these pilots is amazing. What caught most peoples attention was the way the pilots articulated, and the best feature for me at least was the ones with the servos installed. Yes, they turn their head back and forth! The Apache pilot with night vision goggles/helmet, and the Thunderbird pilots were the crowd favorites.

It's great to see a local guy give it a go with a product like this. Prices are pretty reasonable given the level of detail and the fact that it can be custom made. Adam will be doing the "circuit" going forward, so if you get a chance stop by and see him at the AMA, NEAT Fair, WRAM etc etc next time you go.

Also, Adam was kind enough to donate one of the pilots as a raffle prize along with a hat and shirt for Spektrum. Thanks!