HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2004, 04:11 PM
Superhero, Third Class
Carson City, NV
Joined Nov 2000
888 Posts
Styrene vs. ABS

Are there any advantages to one over the other in vacuforming cowls, wheel pants, and the like? Does ABS require a special adhesive?

Also, is it easy to tell the two apart by sight? I just received an order of what was supposed to be styrene. He had written on one sheet "styrene and ABS(Darker)." There were a few sheets that were a little darker white than the others, but the main difference was that some sheets had a matte finish, while others were fairly glossy.

Thanks,
Jeff
astroboy is offline Find More Posts by astroboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2004, 06:56 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
ABS is a form of styrene: Acrylonitrile-butadiende-styrene
There is no plastic that is actually just pure styrene as that is a liquid. The name styrene usually is used to refer to either ABS or Polystyrene which is the simplest form of polymerized (plastic) styrene. Polystyrene would not be a good choice for vacuum forming because it is too brittle. Plastic scale models are an example of ordinary polystyrene.

ABS on the other hand is very flexible and impact resistant. You probably actually have ABS. You may be able to tell if its polystyrene if a sample snaps easily when bent double (depending on thickness)
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Feb 13, 2004, 03:29 PM
Superhero, Third Class
Carson City, NV
Joined Nov 2000
888 Posts
Thanks, Gerald. The guy I ordered it from said there was little difference between the ABS and the (poly)styrene. I wonder if it could be what I've heard called "High Impact Polystyrene." I'll try your test tonight.

Jeff
Old Feb 16, 2004, 03:56 PM
Superhero, Third Class
Carson City, NV
Joined Nov 2000
888 Posts
Well, I took a strip each of "ABS" and "PS", 1/4" wide and a couple inches long, and bent them double. The ABS didn't break; the crease turned white, which I recall reading many years ago is what ABS does when it reaches the point of no return, bend-wise. The PS broke, but it didn't snap. When I creased it, it just fractured and broke in two.

Jeff
Old Feb 16, 2004, 04:44 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
Looks like you confirmed that you've got some of each kind. Use the ABS for vacuum molding.
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald