SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 12, 2004, 12:10 PM
Savannah, Ga
Joined Apr 2002
130 Posts
Can I charge my deep cycle battery at the same time I am using my triton?

I have a deep cycle marine battery that I use for charging my NiMh batteries with my triton charger. Between flying sessions I charge the deep cycle PB battery using a standard auto battery charger. Can I hook up the auto charger to the deep cycle and at the same time use my triton?

It seems to me that I could charge the deep cycle and use the triton at the same time because I use my car battery for the triton while the engine is running and the alternator is charging the battery in the car. Before I give it a try, just want to make sure. Thanks,
Rackey is offline Find More Posts by Rackey
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2004, 12:25 PM
Frequent flyer
Grand Forks, ND
Joined Aug 2002
632 Posts
should be fine. occassionally a charger might put out really noisy power that could confuse the charger, the batt should absorb most of that but watch the triton for signs of false peaks and such for the first couple packs.
rkramer is offline Find More Posts by rkramer
Old Feb 12, 2004, 01:49 PM
Mid-Michigan
Joined Aug 2002
2,178 Posts
I do it all the time, but not with a Triton. Shouldn't cause you any trouble. The battery itself will dampen out any spikiness that the charger is putting out.
uscra112 is offline Find More Posts by uscra112
Old Feb 12, 2004, 04:46 PM
Portland, OR metro area
Joined Aug 2003
24 Posts
The only issue i've had charging my car battery (not in a vehicle- just a heavy duty automotive battery) while using the Triton is that if i charge it at 10 amps while using the Triton, the Triton will fault for "input voltage error". Probably too high due to the high input current to the auto battery. May be a unique situation relating to my battery/charger...

Charging at 2 amps, however, i've never had an issue.
bzzboy is offline Find More Posts by bzzboy
Old Feb 13, 2004, 12:32 PM
N.Y.
Joined Jan 2003
887 Posts
I charge my deep cycle at 10amps while charging packs with my Triton and have had no problems.
MAKODS is offline Find More Posts by MAKODS
Old Feb 13, 2004, 01:55 PM
Frequent flyer
Grand Forks, ND
Joined Aug 2002
632 Posts
Quote:
hile using the Triton is that if i charge it at 10 amps while using the Triton,
it is possible the charger is leaking high frequency AC at higher voltage out when charging at 10 amps, the triton sees that as high input voltage, while a dc DMV may not see it.

anyway, original poster... give it a try, see if it works. your chance of damaging anything is very small.
rkramer is offline Find More Posts by rkramer