SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 12, 2004, 05:44 AM
Sarasota/Bradenton Bradenton, Florida, United States
Joined Jan 2004
220 Posts
Hollow Molded wings...how are they made??

I have a Enigma...it has hollow wings...how is this done??...the edges are so sharp and straight, it is amazing....
CDignition is offline Find More Posts by CDignition
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2004, 11:03 AM
West Boylston, MA
Joined Feb 2003
1,093 Posts
Dear CD,

From what I understand, the glass/balsa/glass/carbon-spar-cap-and-leading-and-trailing-edges wet (with epoxy resin) layup is put into a precise female mold, then either vacuum-bagged or pressed together with a matching male mold, and allowed to cure. This makes one half. The two halves and glass/balsa/glass laminated spar and root rib are then jigged together and glued along the edges, like a molded plastic model, forming the finished wing.

Some of that is conjecture, but I think it's more or less correct.

Marc
marctrudeau is offline Find More Posts by marctrudeau
Old Feb 12, 2004, 11:35 AM
RCGroups Author
Calgary, Alberta
Joined Nov 2001
1,491 Posts
That's about right, but I don't think many are done with a matching male mold. You'd never be able to play with different thicknesses of skin/layup, or at the minimum you'd need a bunch of male forms. Some use foam bagged into the female mold (Prodij, new Encore etc), but it's not quite the same.

For exact details of F5B models, wander over to the High Performance electric forum.
SoarNeck is offline Find More Posts by SoarNeck
Old Feb 13, 2004, 03:17 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Nov 2003
863 Posts
there is a great thread illustrating the entire process in the High Performance Forum of Ezone, it is an F5B project.
jofo1 is offline Find More Posts by jofo1