HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:04 AM
The Netherlands, Utrecht, Amersfoort
Joined Oct 2004
2,193 Posts
Discussion
Slow Stick from Hobbyking?

Is the GWS Slow Stick now available from Hobbyking? If so, a good move

Available as ARF (US$ 55.93) and in a Plug and Fly version (US$ 78.03)
CrashingDutchman is offline Find More Posts by CrashingDutchman
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2013, 12:01 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,299 Posts
Clearly a clone
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Sep 01, 2013, 03:08 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,670 Posts
I spotted a few changes, the most interesting being a flat airfoil wing instead of GWS's undercambered airfoil. I would say this plane is meant to be a heavier, faster, more advanced flyer. I'm doubtful about the stickers as I've seen them peel off easy on other HK planes (well, on Xjet and FlightTest, I don't own any myself). I like the heavier landing gear. I bet HK could sell a ton of 'em if they'd package all the landing gear stuff seperate at a fair price.

It'd be nice to know if the plastic parts are brittle plastic like GWS or nylon like Millenium RC.

I'd prefer to see carbon push rods instead of metal, or even better a nylon tube system that could be ziptied to the fuse stick. One less place for trees to grab ahold of the plane.

I like to modify the tail for more surface area and travel, so the live hinge thing doesn't work for me at all.

I'm dubious about the motor in the RTF. It seems like it should be swinging a 10X4.7 on 3s but the comments suggest dropping to 9" for 3S. I guess for 1250 kv that makes sense. I've got an 800kv motor on mine, so again I suppose this is meant to be faster than the GWS Slow Stick?

I sure don't mind the way the Hobby King wing is braced, compared to the GWS wing.

All in all it looks like a GWS Slow Stick but appears to be a different beast. It would be an interesting alternative if not for the pricing. Would you really pay twice as much for the ARF as you would for a GWS Slow Stick? $78 for the HK Slow Stick with unknown brand motor/esc/servos (given how bad their rep for rtf electronics is)? That's a hard sell.
Jack the R is offline Find More Posts by Jack the R
Old Sep 02, 2013, 05:27 AM
formosa
Joined Feb 2009
160 Posts
GWS Slow Stick

hi, I am very glad to hear your comments about GWS Slow Stick. We all love GWS Slow Stick because of its class design, its wing shape, and it simply reflects that this is the way the Slow Stick should looks like.
gws roger is offline Find More Posts by gws roger
Old Sep 02, 2013, 03:22 PM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack the R View Post
Would you really pay twice as much for the ARF as you would for a GWS Slow Stick?
Yes, just as soon as they have them in the USA warehouse.
t.edwards is offline Find More Posts by t.edwards
Old Sep 09, 2013, 09:51 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack the R View Post
It'd be nice to know if the plastic parts are brittle plastic like GWS or nylon like Millenium RC.

All in all it looks like a GWS Slow Stick but appears to be a different beast. It would be an interesting alternative if not for the pricing.

Would you really pay twice as much for the ARF as you would for a GWS Slow Stick?

$78 for the HK Slow Stick with unknown brand motor/esc/servos (given how bad their rep for rtf electronics is)? That's a hard sell.
Hell NO!

I have several GWS Slow Sticks and in my opinion the King of Slow Sticks "is" GWS notwithstanding that the competition has overtaken them a bit.

When GWS Introduced the GWS SLOW STICK, the owner of UNITED HOBBY / (now known as HOBBY KING) was sucking on his little toy Plastic Whirlybirds!

Toy Electric Airplane Model (0 min 16 sec)
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2013, 09:57 AM
SirCrushaLot
United States, CT, Danbury
Joined Feb 2009
72 Posts
No really pitt,tell us how you feel
oosul is offline Find More Posts by oosul
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:43 AM
SirCrushaLot
United States, CT, Danbury
Joined Feb 2009
72 Posts
Hobbyking Slow Stick

fun looks, ( ya i know Nazi Luftwaffe crosses are fun too)
plug an fly plane,
Brushless,
Carbon Fiber,
inverted flight,
Ailerons

the horror!

HobbyKing Product Video - Slow Stick 1160mm. PnF and ARF. (3 min 5 sec)
oosul is offline Find More Posts by oosul
Old Sep 23, 2013, 10:05 PM
Fly The Friendly Skies
United States, TN, Brentwood
Joined Apr 2013
1,627 Posts
---
Beaves is offline Find More Posts by Beaves
Last edited by Beaves; Sep 23, 2013 at 11:59 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 10:19 PM
Suspended Account
United States, TN, Nolensville
Joined Sep 2013
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaves View Post
Is this going to be THE HK SS thread?
There you are! I'm supposed to have mine this week. I plan on having it built and joining you guys Saturday, but it sounds like you may still be out of the country? When do you get back?

So, what's the deal with the gws forum? Seems to be a bunch of whining babies doing nothing but policing every post.
crophopper is offline Find More Posts by crophopper
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 23, 2013, 10:41 PM
Fly The Friendly Skies
United States, TN, Brentwood
Joined Apr 2013
1,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crophopper View Post
There you are! I'm supposed to have mine this week. I plan on having it built and joining you guys Saturday, but it sounds like you may still be out of the country? When do you get back?

So, what's the deal with the gws forum? Seems to be a bunch of whining babies doing nothing but policing every post.
---
Beaves is offline Find More Posts by Beaves
Last edited by Beaves; Sep 24, 2013 at 12:01 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 10:47 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
This might be the first time HobbyKing has cloned somethingand managed to make it cost more. Strange...
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Sep 23, 2013, 10:50 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2013
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaves View Post
I won't be back until Wednesday, but I have the week off when I return and plan to fly every day. Going to maiden my Ultrastick I hope.

Let me know if you have any questions with your SS build. The instructions were much easier than the gws. You'll be in the air in 30 min.

Regarding the other forum....yeah I try to stay away from there these days. You can't step out of line over there. They've got a few policing everything. You'd better be on topic with whatever is currently being discussed and do a thorough search of all past posts before asking a question. Ask a stupid question or bring up something that may have been discussed 8 years ago and they will pounce.

Seems like it's the same people each time though
I'll upload some video when I get her together. Let me know when you get back.
Last edited by crophopper; Sep 25, 2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 11:01 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2013
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
This might be the first time HobbyKing has cloned somethingand managed to make it cost more. Strange...
I don't consider it a clone. It's carbon fiber, has ailerons, and has solid wings. Any plane of this size and fun factor in the air for less than $100 is a good deal.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 11:41 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,299 Posts
post no longer valid
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Last edited by phoam; Oct 02, 2013 at 01:12 AM.