HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2004, 10:36 PM
Hernando,Mississippi, United States
Joined Apr 2003
735 Posts
GWS Corsair tuff little bird

Finished the Corsair up yesterday and was able to get a quick maiden flight in on her before sunset.Was amazed at how well it flew.This morning dawned with fog and that winter damp gray sky but wind was at 8, so I had to get in another flight or two. Well, I was up cruising around and getting bounced around a little by the wind and you guessed it, Got myself all disoriented and she went straight in from about 50 ft. It made that thud that we all hate to hear when it hit the ground.
To my amazement it survied that encounter with the ground without a mark on it.Lucky the field was very soft from all the rain we've had, but still proved how sturdy she can be.I didn't use any re-enforcement on the wing.
Think I'll wait for clearer skies for next flight LOL.
Oh and I put the big white arrows on the wing and tail now .
xmech is offline Find More Posts by xmech
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2004, 01:04 AM
It's the last plane honey
Granite Bay, CA USA
Joined Jul 2003
2,133 Posts
Xmech,

Congratulations on your maiden. The plane looks great for having survived a 50' nose-in .

What's your setup?

Andy
SlowRider is offline Find More Posts by SlowRider
Old Feb 13, 2004, 02:29 AM
You talkin' to ME?
lehigh valley, pa
Joined Nov 2003
163 Posts
does the corsair come with a wing reinforcing rod near the LE? i used the dual aileron servo setup and used the groove on the bottom of the wing to route the wires. im thinking that my kit came without the usual rod that gets glued in there.
anyhow, i maidened my f4u with my tanic 3s 1500 pack and a himax 2025-5300 about a week ago. to me it flies sort of like the p51. this power setup with an apc 9x6e is amazing. unfortunetly i came in low for a high speed bank and clipped a pine tree branch which completely ripped off the right wing. it cartwheeled a little bit, but i managed to find all the pieces. it's now glued back together, but i will try my luck with it again once the snow has melted and the temps get nicer.
for now i just fly my small tm and beaver around whenever i get an urge
good luck w/ your corsair
Jdeiter is offline Find More Posts by Jdeiter
Old Feb 13, 2004, 11:27 AM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
There's no wing spar included in the Corsair kit. The groove is for the aileron servo wires.
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Feb 13, 2004, 11:47 AM
Athens, GA
Joined Jul 2003
374 Posts
I nosed mine in a couple times because of disorientation. Both times the wing popped off and I just had to glue the fastener back on.
Launchpad is offline Find More Posts by Launchpad
Old Feb 13, 2004, 01:05 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Feb 2004
2 Posts
hey Lauchpad, if you use epoxy to fix the wing fastener for the Corsair, I don't think it will pop off again. I got a GWS Corsair and Bf-109, but havent got enough budget to upgrade to brushless and lipo yet. I use the GWS 400 motor with gearbox D instead, apc 10x7 prop, they both fly quite well. I love the Corsair man, thick ass wing and fly very stable. a bit slower than Bf since too much drag, hehe..
I'm new to the forum, hope I can learn lots from you guys who also flying GWS planes.
cheers,
hoang
hoang is offline Find More Posts by hoang
Old Feb 13, 2004, 04:36 PM
CA
Joined Aug 2003
377 Posts
hoang,
How many cells and what type battery do you use for the 400 motor, my ME109 flys but needs more power to do aerobatic.
lini is offline Find More Posts by lini
Old Feb 13, 2004, 05:45 PM
Hernando,Mississippi, United States
Joined Apr 2003
735 Posts
I think the only thing that saved my Corsair was the fact it hit straight down on the nose.The wings never touched the ground.I used Gorilla glue on the engine mount stick, man is that some tuff stuff.I've been flying my Mustang a lot and don't have any trouble with the planes orientation, but for some reason the Corsair seems harder to see.Maybe the big white arrows will help a little.I didn't have them on when I goofed.Probably need to paint the belly white also.
Did I say it really does fly great though.
xmech is offline Find More Posts by xmech
Old Feb 13, 2004, 05:54 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Dumb thumbed mine in hard, broke the wing clean in half. A little epoxy and it fly's better then new.
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
Old Feb 13, 2004, 06:31 PM
Athens, GA
Joined Jul 2003
374 Posts
Today the propellor flew off of mine during the final approach. Landed without a hitch.
I have disorientation problems because I have school and work every day and I only get a chance to fly when it's almost dark. I just have to take it slow, which is hard with the miniac.
Launchpad is offline Find More Posts by Launchpad
Old Feb 13, 2004, 11:34 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Feb 2004
2 Posts
lini,
l use packs of eight CBP 1050 for both my GWS Corsair and Bf109 to drive the GWS 400 motor.
too much epoxy made my 2 birds really heavy so i think ill go lipo soon to free up some weight.
hoang is offline Find More Posts by hoang