HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2004, 12:28 PM
Mississippi
Joined Jul 2000
756 Posts
Safety barriers for pilot stations--ideas needed?

Hi Guys
Our club wants to try out safety barriers around a couple of the pilot stations.What are your clubs using?All and any ideas are wanted.While visiting family this summer I went to the local field and they were using 3 sided barriers made from landscape timbers that really caught my eye(still waiting on pics).If you have any pictures of barriers please post them.Also I'm trying to figure out a good height and width I'm thinking around 40-42"tall and maybe wide enough for 2 people

thanks for your help
steve
cloudhopper is offline Find More Posts by cloudhopper
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2004, 12:39 PM
It's the last plane honey
Granite Bay, CA USA
Joined Jul 2003
2,133 Posts
I don't have any pictures, but my old club used 4x4 posts set in cement with plastic fencing strung on three sides. They held up well as the plastic fencing is treated to resist UV. They came up to my chest, so probably 4' in height.

Andy
SlowRider is offline Find More Posts by SlowRider
Old Feb 11, 2004, 12:44 PM
It's the last plane honey
Granite Bay, CA USA
Joined Jul 2003
2,133 Posts
The fencing was very similar to this product .

Andy
SlowRider is offline Find More Posts by SlowRider
Old Feb 11, 2004, 01:00 PM
gwh
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Dec 1996
1,609 Posts
We used PVC to make a frame as shown and the fencing material shown in Andy's post. U-shaped stakes were used to hold the fences in position and so that the fence can be folded forward to mow around.
gwh is offline Find More Posts by gwh
Old Feb 11, 2004, 01:07 PM
United States, NY, Spencerport
Joined Oct 2001
2,801 Posts
We use three prefabricated chain-link fence gates bolted together in an open U pattern. They used to be PVC and plastic snow fence, but those didn't hold up. Some might worry about the metal causing interference, but we haven't noticed any issues. Transmitters are well clear of the top of the barrier while in use. The barriers are only waist-high, short enough so as to not obstruct your view, but tall enough to duck behind.
mkirsch1 is offline Find More Posts by mkirsch1
Old Feb 11, 2004, 01:33 PM
Simplicate and add Fun!
Sheboygan, WI
Joined Feb 2002
1,030 Posts
Here is a photo of our pilot stations, construction is round steel posts with chainlink fencing. We use the same in a double row for the pits, one side of which is visible to the left of the photo.

graham
graham_mca is offline Find More Posts by graham_mca
Old Feb 11, 2004, 02:41 PM
Eat, Sleep, Fly!
Joined Mar 2001
659 Posts
Pilot Barriers

Tyler Modelers Club in Tyler, TX, uses v-shaped barriers as shown in the attached photos. We have six of the pilot stations grouped in 3s. We limit the number of planes in the air to 4.

RealGlow
realglow is offline Find More Posts by realglow
Last edited by realglow; Feb 11, 2004 at 02:43 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 02:59 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
At the Tailwinds field we have 4 foot high orange netting, with openings to the runway and for pilot stations. It works quite well, stopping some errant planes with minimal damage, mostly, as long as one of the support posts isn't hit.
Permanent installation.
Easy to repair when needed..
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Feb 11, 2004, 04:01 PM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,075 Posts
We use the Orange Plastic netting as well. Cheap, No maintaince required - usually. Our 5 stations (one is now a 3D/Heli station pointing a different way) are three sided (not squared but say 45 degrees or so angled out so others could stand to side and still be protected) about 3-4 feet high (low enough that your Tx Antenna easily goes over the top as you stand behind them) ... Use common steel pole stakes at the corners. At our annual club meeting (only have one a year, unless something comes up) we decided to look into a moveable type (not sure what they'll come up with) . This would allow us in the winter to plow out the pit/station area which holds big snow drifts and makes stations unusable .....

[edited] see pictures below for my field pictures...
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Last edited by rclark; Feb 12, 2004 at 01:20 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 11:44 PM
Tree? That's a Tx weed!
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2003
2,434 Posts
We use the orange safety fencing material on L-shaped steel garden type poles. Works well at stopping planes unless you clobber one of the poles. Easy to fix/replace as needed.
Crash
crashsiegel is offline Find More Posts by crashsiegel
Old Feb 12, 2004, 12:01 AM
Colorado Front Range, USA, EARTH, Sol system, Milkyway Galaxy
Joined Nov 2001
2,356 Posts
realglow,

Why do you limit the number of planes to 4.

Man would I make people mad when I fly it is non-stop
from field arrival to leaving.

Thanks,

David
The Other Dave is offline Find More Posts by The Other Dave
Old Feb 12, 2004, 01:06 AM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,075 Posts
We only allow four planes in the air too ; well now 5 with 3D off to the side due to safety . But the main 'pattern' is only four. That's why we only have the five stations setup (You must use the stations to fly unless you are the only one flying) and each station separated fairly far apart from each other as well. It does seem to get quite busy with four planes buzzing around BTW .

As for flying, usually not a problem to fly except on the busiest days (maybe 5 Saturdays of the year?) and then you just take turns.... I usually have almost all my flying in before the first IC flyer shows up anyway....

Better picture of our stations below...
Last edited by rclark; Feb 12, 2004 at 01:19 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 01:11 AM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,075 Posts
Here's a picture looking north. As you can see it was 'very' busy that morning . The new 3D area is now at the far right at the end of the table area (not setup yet in this photo) .

Steve, you going to have to come down one day this summer and fly with us .
Last edited by rclark; Feb 12, 2004 at 01:15 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 05:21 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,650 Posts
While we are talking about safety I'm somewhat surprised that the pilot stations over there are so widely spaced apart. Over here at clubs and at fly-ins the tendency seems to be to attempt to put the pilots close together, which supposedly has a number of safety benefits

a. it aids inter-pilot communication, allowing pilots to call when they are landing, if they have a deadstick, if they have a problem or anything else

b. it puts the pilots in an area which all other pilots know the location of accurately (because they are there themselves) and that they should therefore be able to avoid. In the case of the pilots on the end of a long drawn out line might they not be in greater danger of getting doinked by a landing or take off gone bad?

c. it puts all of the transmitters close together, so that models are not in danger of overflying other modeller's transmitters with increased risk of radio interference

d. At the club field having all the pilots in the same place means that the angular relationships of the field and it's surroundings become more familiar to the pilots and are the same every flight. That makes establishment of no-fly zones (where needed) easier to set up and to adhere to.

I wonder what are the benefits of spreading the pilots out all along the flight line?

Those are some very nice fields that you chaps have, BTW.

Brian
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Feb 12, 2004, 09:13 AM
Air Addict
Halifax, N.S. Canada
Joined Oct 2002
831 Posts
I agree, some very nice layouts indeed.

This idea of stations and distances (Brian's arguments) are sound, and made me check on MAAC's (Canada's AMA!)recommended pilot station distances. Found nothing on this and was a little surprised at that.

I agree with Brian, but how close are we talking here? We have noticed that our field, problems with glitching/hits/etc tend to be higher when we pilots get too close to each other. Having mock dogfights with similar planes (microjets, etc) we sometimes bunch up a bit and then we notice 'irregularities'. The communication and banter is great, but I am wondering just how close transmitters should really be?

Should there be safe minimums established? BTW, we will be using the nylon orange netting/snow fences for our stations this year. Can't complain about the price - office manager gave me two rolls of it for free!!

Spar
Sparhawk is offline Find More Posts by Sparhawk