HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2013, 06:46 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2013
9 Posts
Help!
I want to buy a new boat...?

I have looked around a bit but I still have some questions about the haul:

1. the Catamarans are better for cornering (so more stable) but the Deep-V hauls are better for rough waters (so again more stable?). So witch is actually more stable ?i will be using in rough waters (lake Ontario, where there are real boats passing) and in some calmer waters (almost glass).

2. I have looked up some boats in both deep-V styled and catamarans.
Catamarans: ProBoat Miss Geico 29
ProBoat BlackJack 29
Genesis OffShore (41.8 inch)
AquaCraft Moltey Crew (similar to Miss Geico)

Deep-V: ProBoat Impulse 31

Those are the ones I was looking at.

Speed, not burning up after 30 runs and not flipping over (although it is inevitable at some point) are my main criterias.

If there are any other boats you would suggest, please post the name of it.

Thank you in advance for all your help!
Newbie5015 is offline Find More Posts by Newbie5015
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2013, 04:54 AM
Joined May 2012
270 Posts
You really can't go wrong with anything from Proboat or Aquacraft, choose which ever you like more.
All of them WILL flip, not an if it's a when.
The Genesis needs some upgrades to make it reliable, that way with most of the chinese rebranded boats. Also read plenty of times it isn't the best in turns, long and skinny hull. I have no experience with that particular boat but have seen run and own some of your other choices, all good boats.
I would really suggest a Pursuit 32" from Kinetec racing, a bit more money but a bigger boat with quality electronics and hardware. I have the 29" hull, built the boat myself, handles great!
Sibe is offline Find More Posts by Sibe
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:42 AM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
928 Posts
As far as V hulls go, I also have the 32" Pursuit hull and from my experience in racing it is far more stable than the Proboat Impulse or the Aquacraft Revolt.

There are some pretty good self righting boats out there as well, something like the
Dragon Shark 650, Atomik Barbwire or a Mini Eco.

I think V hulls as being a bit more stable in rough water, they do not tend to blow over as easily, and a bit better at corners... but not that you can't roll them over. When trimmed out properly, my impression is that a cat can be faster in a straight line.
cyberhoops is offline Find More Posts by cyberhoops
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:20 PM
Joined Oct 2012
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberhoops View Post
As far as V hulls go, I also have the 32" Pursuit hull and from my experience in racing it is far more stable than the Proboat Impulse or the Aquacraft Revolt.

There are some pretty good self righting boats out there as well, something like the
Dragon Shark 650, Atomik Barbwire or a Mini Eco.

I think V hulls as being a bit more stable in rough water, they do not tend to blow over as easily, and a bit better at corners... but not that you can't roll them over. When trimmed out properly, my impression is that a cat can be faster in a straight line.
Be simple buy with few dollars the Vitality FT007 racing boat learn on this how to cruising and go fast ,how to keep it alive from the water and then spend your money for something more expensive
nickden is offline Find More Posts by nickden
Old Aug 28, 2013, 02:29 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2013
9 Posts
I saw a blackjack on Craigslist for 300 it comes with a traxxas tqi remote, a 6s battery, a 4s battery, the blackjack boat with a castle 2200kv, the stock motor and a vxl esc form a traxxas spartan. Is that any good?

1. I read that the esc burns out did that happen to anyone?

2. for a prop, what good a good one for the castle 2200kv, are the 3, 4 and 5 props any better, harder on the motor?

3. Should I sell the castle and vxl esc and go for a leopard 1500kv and hk seaking 180a esc?

Thanks!
Old Aug 29, 2013, 04:23 PM
Joined May 2012
270 Posts
Don't waste your time/money on that vitality thing, slow and pretty much just a "toy boat", won't really teach you anything about real rc boats. Not capable of making any adjustments to the drive line as far as I can see from the adds, brushed motor and esc, and according to the adds only 100 meters range! really a toy grade boat not a real hobby grade rc boat.
You would be very disappointed, not at all what you are looking for. Especially on Lake Ontario!
The one SPartan in our "club" has been running great all summer, no issues with the motor or esc, fast boat! Only one I've seen run personally, the guy also had lots of help making sure the setup was "safe" before he started running it, not sure what prop he is running now but his boat really scoots and has been very reliable.
If the Castle motor is a 1515 1y 2200kv motor that is a very, very good motor, be careful though that motor is capable of drawing more amps than that esc can probably tolerate for long, a lot of people are running the T-180 esc with good results with that motor. It's a very popular motor for open 4s racing classes, any motor and esc combo running on 4s in hulls under 34" long.
Last edited by Sibe; Aug 29, 2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 05:38 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2013
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibe View Post
Don't waste your time/money on that vitality thing, slow and pretty much just a "toy boat", won't really teach you anything about real rc boats. Not capable of making any adjustments to the drive line as far as I can see from the adds, brushed motor and esc, and according to the adds only 100 meters range! really a toy grade boat not a real hobby grade rc boat.
You would be very disappointed, not at all what you are looking for. Especially on Lake Ontario!
The one SPartan in our "club" has been running great all summer, no issues with the motor or esc, fast boat! Only one I've seen run personally, the guy also had lots of help making sure the setup was "safe" before he started running it, not sure what prop he is running now but his boat really scoots and has been very reliable.
If the Castle motor is a 1515 1y 2200kv motor that is a very, very good motor, be careful though that motor is capable of drawing more amps than that esc can probably tolerate for long, a lot of people are running the T-180 esc with good results with that motor. It's a very popular motor for open 4s racing classes, any motor and esc combo running on 4s in hulls under 34" long.
Winch boat are you talking about there?
Old Aug 30, 2013, 05:40 AM
Joined May 2012
270 Posts
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-FT...t-p-63263.html
don't get this one, the Vitality ft007.
The electronics in the Spartan one guy here has have been rock solid all summer.
Not so sure about the esc with a big Castle IF it is a 1515 size 2200kv one.
I run a Castle 1512 1800kv motor in a 29" mono hull, motor makes some serious power. Can pull a lot of amps and remain cool.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 06:30 AM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2013
9 Posts
Ok thanks what about the blackjack I found is it any good?
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:56 AM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
928 Posts
The Blackjack you found seems like a good setup
cyberhoops is offline Find More Posts by cyberhoops
Old Aug 30, 2013, 09:35 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2013
9 Posts
Is the spartan esc better than the hobbyking 180a?
Old Aug 31, 2013, 08:23 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2013
9 Posts
???
Old Sep 01, 2013, 03:02 AM
Joined May 2012
270 Posts
I think I remember reading that the Spartan escis 80 amps vs 180 for the other.
The hobbywing/T-180 is a good esc, I really don't know that much about the Traxxas esc.
I know plenty of people who have had very good luck with the 180 as well as the 120 escs.
Old Sep 01, 2013, 07:43 PM
My poor poor planes.
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined May 2012
327 Posts
Don't want to hijack the thread, but is any body familiar with modifying the Revolt to get around 50-55 ? I was just wondering what my best options would be, motor, battery, and such. Or, maybe just run a 5s with a 120amp esc and a smaller prop?

Winn
winndaddy is offline Find More Posts by winndaddy
Old Sep 04, 2013, 01:25 PM
Joined Aug 2013
18 Posts
I have just had the first run today with my stock blackjack, went down a slightly different route with the batteries with 2 4s 65c 5000mah batteries in parallel, as I wanted more running time and wasn't so bothered about pure speed.
However I was pleasantly surprised with the speed, it was really pretty quick, and that was on the stock low timing programmed into the esc so could get more speed by changing that.
Found the additional weight from the batteries helped with the skipping/bouncing I've read these can be prone to. Used the nano tech batteries and they fit pretty well, little bit snug and had to trim two corners off of upright frames inside but took two minutes.
Ran for about twenty odd minutes and probably only drained about half the juice from the batteries, and there was no heat at all from any of the components, well pleased
Yckmbfha is offline Find More Posts by Yckmbfha