SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 07, 2001, 02:10 PM
United States, CA, Burlingame
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
How to paint Foam planes ?

Hi,

does anyone has some recommendations as to what to use, when it comes to paint foam parts.

I just would like to avoid the "mission impossible" type of accident where the plane would vanish, after applying some nice colors....

Since there are different types of foam, all inputs are more than welcome.
Patrick Plawner is offline Find More Posts by Patrick Plawner
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2001, 03:33 PM
Texas
Joined Aug 1999
5,110 Posts
http://www.ezonemag.com/faq/cache/91.html
dave_lilley is offline Find More Posts by dave_lilley
Old Dec 07, 2001, 06:22 PM
oakdale, ny, usa
Joined Aug 2000
3,985 Posts
I have used white water based sheet rock primer on foam as a base coat - just go light since it does add weight.

I supose you could add color like they do to latex paint. The pigmemts come in tooth paste like tubes.

Others have also use water based polyurethane with color added. Most paint shops should be able to do this coloring job for you.

The model paint brand Pactra has a spray paint called Formula U. It is foam safe and fuel proof.

Testors regular model spray enamel paint is also safe but not the paint for car bodies etc from the same brand.

There are also Popular brands such as Krylon that have a latex paint line that is foam friendly. The colors on these seem to be light shades in pastel colors.

What ever you do - Always try on foam cup or scrap foam first
poobs is offline Find More Posts by poobs
Old Dec 07, 2001, 07:34 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,931 Posts
I really like the Model Master paints from Testors. The spray has great coverage and the bottles work well with airbrushes. You can find this line of paint in most hobby shops in the US, and they have a lot of the Federal Standard colors that you find referenced in model kits. The primer works well also and wet sands ok.
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Dec 07, 2001, 09:28 PM
Bedfordshire, UK
Joined Oct 2000
46 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=18025
Graham is offline Find More Posts by Graham