Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 27, 2013, 09:16 AM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined May 2013
90 Posts
Discussion
Hitec Weekender Extra 300

Just purchased the new Hitec Weekender Extra 300. Was looking for hitec servos after having defective aileron servos in the Apprentice S. Came across this.

It seems to have a weird six prong esc to battery connector. Anyone have experience wih this? I am probably going to cut it off and replace with a Deans connnector.

JeffreyRC
Jeffreyrc is offline Find More Posts by Jeffreyrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2013, 09:41 AM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,280 Posts
post a link or a picture for help please
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Aug 27, 2013, 03:41 PM
Joined May 2013
90 Posts
Photos of new hitec Extra 300S

Here are some pics of the new plane I got last night. The ESC to battery plug is one i am not familiar with, gentleman from R/C magazine stated on another thread it is probably a Multiplex plug.

interesting (to me) aileron design in the wing... I am coming from an Apprentice S.

Jeffrey RC
Old Aug 27, 2013, 08:28 PM
Rekitter of fine aircraft
United States, TX, Spring
Joined May 2004
1,109 Posts
That's a Multiplex connector. No idea why they went with that, especially on a battery. My usual fix is "change it to a Deans", but I'm slowly talking myself into EC2 and EC3 connectors. The aileron hinge design is neat. Typical full scale type gapless hinge that's a pain in the backside to build in small scale.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I'm an Extra addict and have been considering this one.
SFT2 is offline Find More Posts by SFT2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to work
Old Aug 29, 2013, 09:33 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,929 Posts
Thanks fpr posting the pics, Jeffrey!

Definitely a Multiplex proprietary plug... How inconvenient. You'll probably want to cut it off/solder on a Dean's (or whichever you plan to stock with)...Or you can make an adapter.

The plane looks nice though. Cool hinges!
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Aug 31, 2013, 10:01 PM
Joined May 2013
90 Posts
I have it nearly all assembled now and am impressed with the quality. My only concern due to my lack of familiarity is securing the servk swivel thing to the metal z connectors for the elevator and rudder.

Looking forward to this plane!

Jeffrey Rc
Old Sep 01, 2013, 12:49 PM
Joined May 2012
8,280 Posts
Your pictures are all blurry, unfortunately, but it looks like those "Swivel thingies" are quick links and you shouldn't need Z bends with those. The control rod slides through the quick link through the hole in the center and a screw is threaded down into its head to clamp the control rod. Put a touch of blue loctite on the clamping screw so it doesn't back out once you've gotten it adjusted properly.

Ben
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2013, 09:09 PM
United States, NC, Leland
Joined Apr 2013
25 Posts
How is the plane? im interested in getting one but would like a review before I buy. You flying on 3s or 4s?
pharmer1 is offline Find More Posts by pharmer1
Old Sep 08, 2013, 03:58 AM
NCFR !!!
United States, IN, Valparaiso
Joined Jul 2013
152 Posts
Yes, please let us know more about your thoughts on this one. I've been looking at it myself.
JRjoe is offline Find More Posts by JRjoe
Old Sep 08, 2013, 02:38 PM
Joined May 2013
90 Posts
Ill try it today. Yesterday club expert flew and described is something like tricky or twitchy. Especially for me coming from the Apprentice.
Old Sep 08, 2013, 10:09 PM
Joined May 2012
8,280 Posts
Well that's to be expected, an Extra 300S is a mid-wing highly aerobatic plane with some monster control throws and a very pitch sensitive tail moment... turn your rates waaaaaay down and use some expo and fly it very gently until you're used to it. An Apprentice to a very aerobatic-capable monoplane is a big jump.

Ben
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2013, 04:45 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,988 Posts
Review Video!!!

Hitec Extra 300S P2GO Weekender Assembly (17 min 15 sec)
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:10 AM
Pro Bro # 2398
BoonVegas, Indiana
Joined Dec 2005
674 Posts
i almost bought one until i seen that connector for the battery. thats was a close call. bummer.
GassPasser is offline Find More Posts by GassPasser
Old Nov 10, 2013, 08:53 PM
Rekitter of fine aircraft
United States, TX, Spring
Joined May 2004
1,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GassPasser View Post
i almost bought one until i seen that connector for the battery. thats was a close call. bummer.
Soldering is a vital skill in this hobby and changing that connector will take no more than 10 minutes.
SFT2 is offline Find More Posts by SFT2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to work
Old Nov 10, 2013, 09:00 PM
Joined May 2012
8,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFT2 View Post
Soldering is a vital skill in this hobby and changing that connector will take no more than 10 minutes.
+1 .... My LHS even will solder whatever connector you want on a battery / ESC for a small fee, if you aren't comfortable doing it. Maybe there's an LHS near you that'll do it for you. Barring that, then you can use a battery adapter, here's one that will allow you to use a Deans T-Plug: http://www.3drcparts.com/female-mult...ttery-adapter/

There are always options out there!

Ben
RCG Plus Member