HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2013, 08:31 PM
Joined Aug 2013
13 Posts
Discussion
Help With RC Boats Basics

Hi there, and thank you so much for helping me out.
I am new to RC boats and RC equipment in general. But I am interested in building a custom RC boat from scratch. Now there are a few troubles I am running into. The first one is water. I already have a good idea on how to seal the top part of the boat(the hatch), but how does water not come in the back of the boat where the propeller is at. The hole where that metal thing ( don't know what it is called) connects to the propeller to make it spin. I don't understand how to seal that off. I have Turnigy batteries and a Turnigy aquatic motor. I know the motor can take alittle water, but I rather minimize the amount of water that comes in through the back. Please inform me of any guides or what that part is called to block it.

I appreciate it!
bweezy90 is offline Find More Posts by bweezy90
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2013, 08:49 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,181 Posts
Hi.
Its called a stuffing tube,
They come in various lengths,and shaft diameter, it has a bearong on each end and it get filled with grease.
A little figuring on your part to get a length and a shaft threaded to fit your propeller
for a look see , you can visit Dumas Boats ,Mack Products .. for better look and get dialed in

You will need a shaft coupler, or a universal joint to connect the motor to the shaft.
this will be some more figuring on your part to get the motor aligned as close to the shaft as possiable.

It would be handy to have some pictures of your hull if you have it completed ,what ever you have.. drawings even ..
This will help with getting you sorted out properly.
more coffee is offline Find More Posts by more coffee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hi!
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:21 PM
Joined Aug 2013
13 Posts
I am currently using Autodesk 3D to design it. Pretty much, Think of a boogie board that you use for the ocean, but inside hallow, then the Motor, ESC, Battery, shaft, and everything inside it. I am trying to make a Electric Boogie board for fun. I want to use RC parts because of the flexibility/size/ and weight. I am new to RC components, So any help here is much appreciated. I should be done with a basic 3d model within a week. Ill post here after.
bweezy90 is offline Find More Posts by bweezy90
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:35 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,181 Posts
That different

Sounds like you will have lots of room to set everything in,

Heres somemore to wrap your head around

http://matthewsmodelmarine.wordpress...all-geared-up/

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=795038

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=457330

there's pretty much anything and everything here to get you going in the right direction.
there are no problems ... just solutions
more coffee is offline Find More Posts by more coffee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hi!
Old Aug 27, 2013, 05:46 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,644 Posts
Quote:
I already have a good idea on how to seal the top part of the boat(the hatch), but how does water not come in the back of the boat where the propeller is at.
Quote:
I know the motor can take a little water, but I rather minimize the amount of water that comes in through the back.
If the boat is travelling forward fast enough, you don't need to worry about that.

Regards Ian.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Old Aug 27, 2013, 05:57 AM
Norwich, England
Joined Jan 2010
589 Posts
the stuffing tube ( prop tube and shaft ) are filled with a marine grease.
you will notice on some boats inside there is a little stub tube that pokes off of the stuffing tube.
this is where they pop a marine grease in to keep water out.
when fitted correct they will not leak as much as one may think.

the hardest part if you build your own boat is making the topdeck/ canopy hatch water tight.
when boats go belly up thats when water starts to find its way in .if you done a messy job on sealing the topdeck hatches the boat will take on water. i would also advise on building a simple boat at first, keep the hull a simple one, nothing to fancy.
TamiyaCowboy is offline Find More Posts by TamiyaCowboy
Old Aug 27, 2013, 07:20 AM
Joined Dec 2004
3,731 Posts
Bweezy90- Stuffing boxes are what keeps the water from entering the hull of any boat thru the propeller or rudder shaft opening in the hull. On real boats (full size) the term ”stuffing box” refers to the flax packing which was wrapped around the shaft on the inside of the hull with what is called a packing gland and nut.

M.A.C.K. Products makes water tight stuffing boxes for model boats with an “O” ring seat which is held captive between two “OILITE” bearings. There is no oil tube since the stuffing boxes are made with “OILITE” bearings, which have the lubricating oil already in the bearings. A third “OILITE” bearing is at the other end of the length of tube of the stuffing box for support of the shaft. No grease has to be packed into the stuffing box tube.

http://www.mackproductsrc.com/stuff_boxes.htm
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg