HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2013, 07:17 PM
Joined Aug 2013
34 Posts
Help!
Quadcopter! KK2! Power loss to all motors. HELP PLEASE

PLEASE HELPAlright, I've just bought the x525 Quad-copter about three weeks ago, got it all soldered together and built. put the battery on it take it for a flight it flies ok., got everything tuned and what I was flying with was a 3s 1100mah 20c battery. Enough power for about 4 minutes. So I hopped online and bought a 5800mah 3s11.1v 30c Li-Po. Take it out and I start having power loss on all four motors at the same time for about a spit second. Enough time for the quad to hit the ground. But, automatically comes back on and tries to catch itself. So its like a power loss to all four motors at the same time. I said, maybe a low voltage cutoff, Nope! Programming the ESC's to Brake-Off, Battery-Ni-xx, Soft cut, low (0%) cutoff threshold, normal start mode, and medium timing and I've calibrated all esc's. I also thought maybe it could be radio interference, so I went out to the country with nothing around, just seconds into it, it starts cutting out. It is random and I have throttle about 45-55%. All props are balanced to the "T". KK2 Controller running the latest firmware in "X" configuration. I am new to forums, this being my first so if I posted in the wrong place, I'd appreciate it if you could send me to the right place. I've searched everywhere but cannot find anything similar to it. Thanks. Oh by the way, I tried again with the little battery and it does the same thing
jack3layneej is offline Find More Posts by jack3layneej
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2013, 08:42 PM
Joined Aug 2013
34 Posts
Ok today I also unplugged all esc red wires from the KK2 board and the ground as well on the first motor input on the KK2 board and plugged a Ni-MH 5.5 volt batt pack in the first motor input on the kk2 and took it out. Now it definitely flew a lot better but would still drop out every so often.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:11 PM
quadiger
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jun 2013
671 Posts
i had a similar experience with my kk quad. Turns out it was a bad battery pack that eventually stopped working soon after.
bimdas is online now Find More Posts by bimdas
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:18 PM
Joined Aug 2013
34 Posts
Thanks for the info! Although I have thought of this and the quad acts the same way between three different lipos. Now the battery I plugged in to the rx after deciding maybe the esc's bec not being enough power, now that pack could be bad. Will make another tonight and try again tomorrow. I hope I find this problem soon. I'm ready the fly fpv style and it seems like there is always a problem. Thanks for the info. Thanks for replying. Any more thoughts will be helpful. Will post up on the new battery for the FC. Maybe that will work. External bec is on the way so will post when it arrives.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:27 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2012
378 Posts
Sounds like the kk2 is browning out, mine did it a lot until I powered the board from the RX. Never happened since and I hammer mine doing aggressive FPV.
Just run a cable from one of the spare motor pins(M5-M8)to a spare socket on your RX, don't forget to drop the red from M1 and leave a red to M2.
jimbob69 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob69
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:39 PM
Joined Aug 2013
34 Posts
Ok just to clarify, leave red on m2, not on m1,m3, & M4 and hop across from M5 to the Rx. Also do I need to power the rx from a separate battery or just use one of the red pins from the ESC's BEC, and then jump across from m5 to rx? Please clarify from the start lol. I'm a great noob to quads. I have only setup planes and helis and have never ran into this. And yes it really seems like a total blackout for just a split second. Thanks again
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:45 PM
Joined Aug 2013
34 Posts
Ok think I just got it. I'm getting my power to the rx from the m2 is that correct. If not please read prior post.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:51 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2012
378 Posts
Remove power(red)from m1 as that is the KK2s power supply which you wont need with this method.
You can leave a red to m2,m3 or m4 doesn't matter which as they are all bridged connections anyway,
then just bridge across from one of the spares like m5 to a spare on the RX with a servo cable or similar,
no need for a separate battery as you're feeding from one if your esc's becs.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:05 PM
Joined Aug 2013
34 Posts
Ok, will fix that up tonight and will try first thing in the morning. Thanks for all of your help. I will reply if this works as I see a lot of forums just left for dead. No answer on solution but I assume when everyone quits writing in their thread, they have fixed their problem. Thanks jimbob69 and bimdas. All information is helpful. Information = less money spent with the hobby shops and more time out flying. Thanks again for the help and will post a reply on this method.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:52 PM
Joined Aug 2013
34 Posts
Ok thank you thank you thank you. Could not wait till morning as this was an easy fix, just gotta know what you're doing I guess. Thanks again jimbob69 for the info. This is the info I have been waiting for for two weeks now. Thanks and will pass all the info I can. If anyone is having this problem, I still had the problem when I was powering the kk2 board with a separate battery. Putting a jumper wire(servo wire) from motor 6 on the kk2 board to an open channel on the reciever and leaving the red pins connected to motors 2,3, & 4. To early to rule out all together but will do quite a few test flights to let all know what the outcome is. Thanks for everyone's advice.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:54 PM
Joined Aug 2013
34 Posts
Had a 6 min flight with no power cuts what so ever. This is the longest I've been yet with no cuts. Thanks.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 12:04 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2012
378 Posts
No problem mate, nothing worse than hearing your esc's restart beeps just AFTER your quad hits the ground lol.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 06:13 AM
Joined Aug 2013
34 Posts
Yeah tell me about it. Worse in the world to me. I just want smooth sailing from here. I never thought of a problem like that up until it acted up and I was like, yeah I definitely messed something up. Haha thanks again, great day to all.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 08:47 PM
Joined Aug 2013
34 Posts
Ok flew today and way way better. However, it is still cutting out every so often. Before I did the procedure above, the quad was cutting out randomly but about every few seconds or so. After this procedure, the quad cut out about 4 times in 30 minutes, just never knew when it was going to cut, which is scary. So I ordered an external bec and will try this weekend when it comes in. Will post the outcome. Thanks
Old Aug 27, 2013, 09:19 PM
United States, MI, Dansville
Joined Oct 2012
502 Posts
would running a bec do the same asremoving the redwire from m1?
dybbob is offline Find More Posts by dybbob