HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2004, 11:28 AM
Joined Sep 2003
118 Posts
First time COLIBRI flier, has questions. Please help

Hi all,
I am really interested in the COLIBRI, but I have some simple questions before I buy.

Is it a thermal ship or a sloper?
I am more interested in thermal as there are not many slopes here in Michigan to have a flat out sloper.

Do I buy The V tail or conventional?

HS-55 or Hs 50, or what servos?

Thanks
phonics-monkey is offline Find More Posts by phonics-monkey
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2004, 12:00 PM
Fort Wayne, IN
Joined May 2002
1,694 Posts
phonics-monkey

I got it as a thermal ship. I have not finished it yet (still have to add the tail). I used only two MPI 50 servos in the fuse and skipped the ailerons. I can always add then later if I want to. I used the MPI-50 when I already had HS-55 because I felt they fit better. As it turned out it would not have mattered because of the way I placed them. I would go for the HS-50 just to save size and weight. I have the V-tail but it was purchased over two years ago. Now I would likely go with the Thistle by Up Slope Soaring.

http://www.upslopesoaring.com/Thistle.html

That said I am excited about the Colibri. I think the V-Tail is better for beginners because it is less apt to get damaged on landings.

John
jrgospod is offline Find More Posts by jrgospod
Old Feb 11, 2004, 07:35 PM
Louisville, Colorado
Joined Nov 2003
782 Posts
I use hs-55 in mine but it is a real tight fit. I also use mine as a slope ship but when the wind dies it can find a thermal and stay up until the wind comes back. If you do get one be careful with Sal’s, they seem to turn mine up side down.

Cody
cody303 is offline Find More Posts by cody303
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 11, 2004, 11:08 PM
Joined Sep 2003
118 Posts
Thanks for the help all.
PM
Old Feb 11, 2004, 11:47 PM
In the (inclined) loop
Up North
Joined Mar 2001
434 Posts
I think you're getting some bad advice. Here's my 2 cents:

1. Don't skip the ailerons if you got the aileron version! The whole point of the colibri is to be nimble. Besides, it would be a major pain in the *** to drill channels for the ailerons once the wing is joined.
2. HS 55's are too big for the wing. Use 50's.
3. Give it a bit of outside rudder on launch, then you won't snap-roll and end upside down.
spaulj is online now Find More Posts by spaulj
Old Feb 12, 2004, 07:30 AM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,193 Posts
If most of your flying is on the slope, go with the ailerons. If your more interested in thermaling, save the weight and skip the ailerons. The colibri is already a bit overweight for it's span for thermalling.
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Old Feb 12, 2004, 07:46 AM
Fort Wayne, IN
Joined May 2002
1,694 Posts
SPAULJ

“1. Don't skip the ailerons if you got the aileron version! The whole point of the colibri is to be nimble.”

I think all sloppers should have a week in the Midwest. No slopes and all you need to do is to make thermal turns(IE no ailerons). I built my plane for thermal use, not combat.

“Besides, it would be a major pain in the *** to drill channels for the ailerons once the wing is joined.”

The hollow channels are already drilled and ready for use when the wings arrive. If you leave some kite thread in them then, no problem. You could also use a small CF rod if you forgot the kite string. If the wings are clear finished (per plans) you can hold them to the light and see the channel.

”2. HS 55's are too big for the wing. Use 50's.”

I agree.

”3. Give it a bit of outside rudder on launch, then you won't snap-roll and end upside down.”

I found on “The Bug” that it was not tuned properly and I had slop in my controls when I had that problem. Properly tuned with tight controls and hinges it will go straight up.

John
jrgospod is offline Find More Posts by jrgospod
Old Feb 12, 2004, 01:21 PM
Joined Sep 2003
118 Posts
Thanks for all the info.